Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by Rami Airola »

I don't think the music is supposed to be anything more than Cooper just slowly picking up emotions.
It's like with that one scene with Sonny Jim. There Cooper was able to get emotions from a person. And now in the restaurant he was able to pick up emotions from a more abstract thing.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

bastia wrote:Pay attention to Diane's nails. She has different colors in that.. And one particular color for the spiritual finger :wink:

Also, I am quite sure that the scene with diane and badcoop is not really what it seems.
Those nail colours are strange. One for each finger.

I do think looking at that scene with Diane, Albert and Gordon, at the station, while they were waiting for coffee, Dianne senses that they both know something is up with her. What she is actually doing though is beyond me. And why she would say the woodsman was coming out of the car, that has me puzzled.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
bastia wrote:Pay attention to Diane's nails. She has different colors in that.. And one particular color for the spiritual finger :wink:

Also, I am quite sure that the scene with diane and badcoop is not really what it seems.
They seem consistent with her overall fashion sensibility, which is pretty garish. I wouldn't put it past DKL for the "spiritual finger" thing to be intentional tho', especially given Diane's strong ties to Coop.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

counterpaul wrote:
BigEd wrote:This is what I'm reading from the arm:

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/48%C2% ... 17.4443222
I'm reading 4855142 117263458.

And if you translate that to 48°55'14.2"N 117°26'34.58"W and plug it into Google Maps you get a spot in Washington state just a hair south of the Canadian border and a few miles west of the state line. Sound familiar?

Pretty fun!

Another arm with relevance to the plot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:On his latest interview with KEXP, Dean Hurley pointed out that the Shawn Colvin cover is from the same Doc Pomus tribute album as Lou Reed's cover of "This Magic Moment," which DKL of course used in Lost Highway.

Also, not that this was believable to begin with, but it clears up that the pianist is most definitely not playing a New Order song at the beginning. All of it is written by Angelo.
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

I have a real issue if only 60% of the plot gets resolved at the end. I would understand if it was 8 to maybe even 10 episodes. We have had 18 bloody episodes. How can you not resolve it?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BGate wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:On his latest interview with KEXP, Dean Hurley pointed out that the Shawn Colvin cover is from the same Doc Pomus tribute album as Lou Reed's cover of "This Magic Moment," which DKL of course used in Lost Highway.

Also, not that this was believable to begin with, but it clears up that the pianist is most definitely not playing a New Order song at the beginning. All of it is written by Angelo.
Yep! And all written after shooting was completed, apparently, and with Angelo writing all on his own without even a Skype conference with DKL -- different from the usual process. Wonder what this does to theories trying to read a deeper significance into the piece (Hurley says DKL's only directions were "music in an Italian restaurant" and one piece should be "heartbreaking"...he also oddly says Angelo composed three pieces, but I only hear two).
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote: It has been mentioned back a few pages, the sheriffs office is on a "go slow". They really need to get a move on. Wouldn't Ben have called someone and mentioned the key turning up out of the blue?
Why? Cooper, whose room he realises the key is for, was a guest 25 years ago. Presumably he lost his key and they provided a replacement at the time (or else there was a doppel-key!) but a past guest returning a key to their room isn't that weird. It's a bit of a novelty, granted, 25 years on, but that's exactly the sort of attention Ben gives it.
It's more than a bit of a novelty. This is not just a key, it's the key to Cooper's room- which Ben hasn't ever forgotten, as you point out.

More importantly, it's a type of key they haven't used in years... And it wasn't lost and kicked around for years before someone randomly had the inclination to throw it in a mailbox, either. It's preserved like new! Ben is not really positioned to know anything about the Lodge or the supernatural elements in play, but he doesn't need to. Dale Cooper was a key player in the most significant period in Twin Peaks' history, and now a relic from that time with a direct connection to Cooper has shown up under mysterious circumstances.

I don't think there's any chance it will be forgotten about - just another element of the plot that seems like it's been on the backburner forever due to the pacing and structure of these individual parts. There are plenty of other plot points getting similar treatment, like the revelation of Beverly's sick husband, who hasn't been seen again in several episodes.
h2nho
Roadhouse Member

Post by h2nho »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
BGate wrote:

Yep! And all written after shooting was completed, apparently, and with Angelo writing all on his own without even a Skype conference with DKL -- different from the usual process. Wonder what this does to theories trying to read a deeper significance into the piece (Hurley says DKL's only directions were "music in an Italian restaurant" and one piece should be "heartbreaking"...he also oddly says Angelo composed three pieces, but I only hear two).
Piece #1 is what we hear from the beginning of the piano playing to the start of Heartbreaking. Piece #2 is Heartbreaking. Piece #3 is from the end of the first time we hear Heartbreaking to the start of the second time we hear Heartbreaking (the music kinda goes back to being jaunty or a regular piece you'd hear in a restaurant). And then Heartbreaking starts to play again close to when the credits roll.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:

I do think looking at that scene with Diane, Albert and Gordon, at the station, while they were waiting for coffee, Dianne senses that they both know something is up with her. What she is actually doing though is beyond me. And why she would say the woodsman was coming out of the car, that has me puzzled.
I didn't really look closely at the specific colours, I'll admit, mostly because I've seen plenty of people with different finger nail colours before. But it'd be interesting if that's a clue - particularly since GC has highlighted the meaning of that finger.

The weird thing to me about the woodsman and his attack on Bill Hastings was the way he crept up on the car. Whose benefit was that almost comical creeping done for? Was he joking with Diane, or taunting her? I guess she might've seen the woodsman creep away from the car too but, to be honest, that would've been when the detective was screaming and everyone was focused on the recently deceased Bill Hastings. And, realistically, if she'd thought she'd seen someone coming out of the car, why didn't she say anything at the time? I can't really get a handle on what she's doing, as she's acting suspiciously, but seems happy to not do a great deal to cover it up. Maybe she IS just drunk all the time on miniature vodkas.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

lotjx2 wrote:I have a real issue if only 60% of the plot gets resolved at the end. I would understand if it was 8 to maybe even 10 episodes. We have had 18 bloody episodes. How can you not resolve it?
The plots are going to 'resolve' the way the artists (Lynch and Frost) want them to resolve. Since this was all well thought out, I have little worry that the show will 'run out of time' in order to finish the story.

Now, that being said, it could be that certain plotlines, including the Coop plotline, are left open-ended and/or open to interpretation. That would not surprise me. It may that Lynch and Frost want us to use our little brains to come to our own conclusions as to what the ending meant.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Troubbble wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote: It has been mentioned back a few pages, the sheriffs office is on a "go slow". They really need to get a move on. Wouldn't Ben have called someone and mentioned the key turning up out of the blue?
Why? Cooper, whose room he realises the key is for, was a guest 25 years ago. Presumably he lost his key and they provided a replacement at the time (or else there was a doppel-key!) but a past guest returning a key to their room isn't that weird. It's a bit of a novelty, granted, 25 years on, but that's exactly the sort of attention Ben gives it.
It's more than a bit of a novelty. This is not just a key, it's the key to Cooper's room- which Ben hasn't ever forgotten, as you point out.

More importantly, it's a type of key they haven't used in years... And it wasn't lost and kicked around for years before someone randomly had the inclination to throw it in a mailbox, either. It's preserved like new! Ben is not really positioned to know anything about the Lodge or the supernatural elements in play, but he doesn't need to. Dale Cooper was a key player in the most significant period in Twin Peaks' history, and now a relic from that time with a direct connection to Cooper has shown up under mysterious circumstances.

I don't think there's any chance it will be forgotten about - just another element of the plot that seems like it's been on the backburner forever due to the pacing and structure of these individual parts. There are plenty of other plot points getting similar treatment, like the revelation of Beverly's sick husband, who hasn't been seen again in several episodes.
I don't really see how this makes it any more than a novelty. Yes, it's connected to an important FBI case and the murder of Laura Palmer by her father, his lawyer, but Ben retrieves these facts from his memory like it's an anecdote. Most significant period in Twin Peak's history? I'm not sure it is, to those who've only witnessed the mundane. And yes, it's an old key. That's one of the things that helps him remember who the key must've belonged to. But as far as he knows Cooper might've left town, and only recently found the key in an old jacket he's not worn for 25 years.

I think it's easier for us to attach importance to it because we know a lot more about Cooper than Ben does, and Ben knows a lot more about what has happened in Twin Peaks over the last 25 years than we do.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
bastia wrote:
The weird thing to me about the woodsman and his attack on Bill Hastings was the way he crept up on the car. Whose benefit was that almost comical creeping done for? Was he joking with Diane, or taunting her?
That's why I don't like the woodsmen. I honestly think it's cause they are extras either overcompensating or with little experience or something
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Jasper wrote:1. There's no reason all of the storylines should resolve. In real life everyone doesn't experience some neat little kind of resolve at the same time, if ever. Lynch famously either avoids resolution, or leaves resolution very much open to interpretation (just look at the various interpretations of the end of Blue Velvet).
Much needed post. I've been one of those "concerned" by a potential lack of time to resolve the puzzles. I suppose the conventions of television have made some of us think of possible endings in one of two ways: 1. Mysteries resolved. 2. Cliffhangers + continuation.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I think that to Ben, the room key might represent his dark side, or his history of awful deeds that he wants to forget. I can understand why he might bury it in his pocket like some repressed memory.

I do think the key will come back into play somehow. I have a weird feeling that when he lapses back into power-hungry and adulterous Ben he will try to take Beverly to room 315 after dinner, only to find god knows what in there.

Also it's interesting how the Great Northern starts that background humming sound almost in reaction to the key's presence, like it can detect a small piece of Cooper on it. I wonder how the town at large will react when/if Cooper appears there in the flesh.