Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by The Gazebo »

djsunyc wrote:btw, that was some really bad overacting by audrey in that scene.
Judging by her tweets a while back, I'm not sure if she was acting at all.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

The Gazebo wrote:
ROFLMAO she really just needs to either become a televangelist or get back on the weed (just repeating what she has stated about weed btw)
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Hester Prynne wrote:She watches gruesome nature documentaries, drinks Bloody Marys, and smokes Salems. Is there something freaky going on with Sarah?
Speaking of Bloody Marys -- we heard the name "Mary" mentioned for the 3rd time. She's described during the conversation between the 2 ladies at the roadhouse as someone they don't care for (because she's stealing whats-his-name away from 'Angela').
Back the Part 9 when Johnny Horne ran into the wall the closed captioning read Sylvia calling "Mary -- who let him out?!"
And Part 8 when the young couple walking home in N.M. she asks if he's bummed out to longer be going steady with "Mary."

Mostly just dots, and not very connected ones at that~
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Hester Prynne wrote:Thoughts on Sarah's reaction to the turkey jerky? The fact that she is overly in tune to things suddenly changing in her reality? She goes out of her way to question the clerk to make sure she saw them when they were delivered. Is reality suddenly changing on a dime in Twin Peaks?
When she asks the clerk something like "Were you here when they arrived?" I'm pretty positive she's already on a completely different subject, like "Were you here when the malicious forces arrived?"
kylie wrote:There were a lot of odd things in that Audrey scene, but the oddest to me was Charlie's use of a rotary phone. I mean, not just a landline but a rotary!
Not out of place in a Lynch production. I had a black rotary phone when I was a kid. (As for the scene itself, I am not a fan.)

Lynch art:
18LYNCH-slide-76IU-master1050.jpg
18LYNCH-slide-76IU-master1050.jpg (112.38 KiB) Viewed 9609 times
o-L-900.jpg
o-L-900.jpg (398.17 KiB) Viewed 9609 times
430RichardandLinda

Post by 430RichardandLinda »

Been lurking for a while on this page, but first-time poster!

Did anyone else expect Richard Horne to show up at the Roadhouse and start yelling "HEINEKEN?!?!?!?!?!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Must be real tough to be a member of the "Where's Audrey" legion now, hahahaha
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

love twin peaks.
hate 2017.
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
blue_tomorrows
Roadhouse Member

Post by blue_tomorrows »

Framed_Angel wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:She watches gruesome nature documentaries, drinks Bloody Marys, and smokes Salems. Is there something freaky going on with Sarah?
Speaking of Bloody Marys -- we heard the name "Mary" mentioned for the 3rd time. She's described during the conversation between the 2 ladies at the roadhouse as someone they don't care for (because she's stealing whats-his-name away from 'Angela').
Back the Part 9 when Johnny Horne ran into the wall the closed captioning read Sylvia calling "Mary -- who let him out?!"
And Part 8 when the young couple walking home in N.M. she asks if he's bummed out to longer be going steady with "Mary."

Mostly just dots, and not very connected ones at that~
This entire thing is feeling like disconnected random dots -- more and more each hour that slips by.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Something about this entire episode felt cold and distant. The closest thing I can relate it to is hanging out with two people that have a deep and intimate bond, and talk about their common experiences in a way that is enticing but incapable of being understood by outsiders. Except in the case of tonight's episode, the interactions were between individuals that weren't really having shared experiences. Audrey's reactions were a perfect mirror of my viewing group's reactions... impatience, anger, confusion. So many of the scenes in tonight's episode were like this. Beverly getting lost as Ben trails off monologue-ing about his childhood bike, Albert holding his frustration at bay while Gordon's date takes forever to depart. There seems to be a kind of distance growing between characters, just as there is a distance growing between the viewers and the characters.

Perhaps as the narrative approaches some dark entrance into a Black Lodge-esque dimension, not only do evil things occur more frequently, but intimacy and commonality become more rare and difficult to achieve.

If Audrey's frustration mirror the audience's reactions tonight (along with Beverly's confused disinterest and Albert's boiling impatience), then the scene where Sonny-Jim threw a baseball to father Dougie might very well encapsulate the experience of watching episode 12. Sonny-Jim lobs the ball and Dougie can't even make an effort to receive it. Maybe Lynch/Frost gave us something tonight, but we just don't know how to accept it. The backyard ball toss felt very "the falcon cannot hear the falconer".

I will say that the shock of dropping Audrey's return after the non-sequitur of Dr. Amp was incredibly jarring in a brilliant way. No build up, no warning, then Audrey is here and she is married to this strange, dull man who she is entirely incapable of having a comprehensible conversation with. I will have to sleep on this one because this might have been the most challenging episode so far.
Last edited by Cappy on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Esselgee wrote: Also, do we really need to see the warden getting killed? Is it really important for the story going forward?
You are asking this in an episode where we saw a short scene of Sonny Jim throwing a baseball on Dougie's head and that's it.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Major Briggs wrote:Must be real tough to be a member of the "Where's Audrey" legion now, hahahaha
welp
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Yeah, especially her strangely moving eyebrows were distracting. Not a good scene by any means. But Grace Zabriskie. Just phenonemal. Really keep my fingers crossed that she will have a large part in the last episodes. Her scenes were among the very best of the entire series.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

wAtChLaR wrote:
The Gazebo wrote:
ROFLMAO she really just needs to either become a televangelist or get back on the weed (just repeating what she has stated about weed btw)
Kinda wonder if there was some drama on the set and they just filmed that quickly in order to get it over with. She literally doesn't move from that spot.
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

Jasper wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:Thoughts on Sarah's reaction to the turkey jerky? The fact that she is overly in tune to things suddenly changing in her reality? She goes out of her way to question the clerk to make sure she saw them when they were delivered. Is reality suddenly changing on a dime in Twin Peaks?
When she asks the clerk something like "Were you here when they arrived?" I'm pretty positive she's already on a completely different subject, like "Were you here when the malicious forces arrived?"
kylie wrote:There were a lot of odd things in that Audrey scene, but the oddest to me was Charlie's use of a rotary phone. I mean, not just a landline but a rotary!
Not out of place in a Lynch production. I had a black rotary phone when I was a kid. (As for the scene itself, I am not a fan.)

Lynch art:

18LYNCH-slide-76IU-master1050.jpg
o-L-900.jpg
rotary phones still work. and pick up baby monitors. don't ask me how
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

430RichardandLinda wrote:Been lurking for a while on this page, but first-time poster!

Did anyone else expect Richard Horne to show up at the Roadhouse and start yelling "HEINEKEN?!?!?!?!?!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep. I definitely noticed the Heineken and was surprised by it.