Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by The Gazebo »

blue_tomorrows wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:Audrey's return being the opposite of what everyone thought it would (I.E. projected as what everyone wanted) totally looks the point imo, just like Cooper returning as a bumbling vegetable.
God, I hope not. If that's the point, then the entire show is nothing but a cynical manipulation with no larger meaning beyond "it's fun to f**k with people". Seeing such a great artist go down that path would be the most depressing thing ever.

12 hours in, though, and I'm short on evidence to prove your theory incorrect. :(
I've enjoyed these past six episodes more than the opening six, but when I try to think what's actually happened in terms of plot advancement, it's not a lot. Hawk is on the trail, EvilCoop is on the loose, the mythology has expanded and...that's about it. The FBI are still fumbling about, Coop is being hit by baseballs and the whole thing still feels very fragmented. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure next week will be fast and furious.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

wow that "bumbling vegetable" comment was rough...25 years locked in another world, deconstructed through an electrical outlet...and all should be fine?
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Does anyone else feel scared for the state of the FBI if Gordon, Albert, and Tammy are supposed to be some of their top people? Or are they supposed to be more of the misfit agents assigned to the kooky X-Files type cases that no one really takes seriously? They may as well add Deputy Andy to their team.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Cappy wrote:My prediction for Jacoby: The "gotta light" Woodsman interrupts a live Dr. Amp broadcast, recites a disturbing poem on the air which entrances Nadine and the other viewers, before crushing the doctor's head.

I love Jacoby as a character and would be heartbroken over this, but... the Woodsmen seem to require transmitted signals to carry out their aims, and Jacoby has been the only person transmitting anything that we've seen.
Something tells me he'll fend them off with his golden shovels :lol: .
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

I wonder if Jacoby and Nadine are actually dead and are living in their personal heavens, living over and over again what they perceive as good for them.

There must be a reason for this. If there isn't...... oh boy.......

The Jacoby scenes really feel like they filmed one scene and took several takes. And now Lynch can't decide which one to choose so he chooses all.

So far I've been mostly wrote negative things about this episode so let's conclude with some positives:

I loved they mentioned Chet Desmond.
Sarah's scenes were amazing! Really tense stuff!
Gordon and Albert are still great. I actually liked the overlong French lady scene too. All it takes is someone who knows how to play the part and that lady had the charisma and comedic skills for it.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Esselgee wrote:Does anyone else feel scared for the state of the FBI if Gordon, Albert, and Tammy are supposed to be some of their top people? Or are they supposed to be more of the misfit agents assigned to the kooky X-Files type cases that no one really takes seriously? They may as well add Deputy Andy to their team.
I love this. The overall pace of the parts isn't helping to get the story moving at all. I have enjoyed Gordon and Albert, but it is very slow. If normal Coop was with them, I have the feeling we would have been in Twin Peaks weeks ago. :)

After that episode there is something that has to be said.... Where is Ed! :lol:
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

Esselgee wrote:Does anyone else feel scared for the state of the FBI if Gordon, Albert, and Tammy are supposed to be some of their top people? Or are they supposed to be more of the misfit agents assigned to the kooky X-Files type cases that no one really takes seriously? They may as well add Deputy Andy to their team.
Picture Ernie Hudson standing next to Gordon Cole standing next to Michael Horse standing next to Kyle Maclachlan as 2017's "Bookhouse Boys". That actually happened, ......in my imagination
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I wouldn't be surprised if Audrey is living in Tennessee now and 'The Roadhouse' she is referring to is completely unrelated to the Bang Bang Bar.

Okay maybe not Tennessee, but something tells me that she is not in Twin Peaks. I can't see her marrying Charlie for whatever reason if she was in TP and had access to the Horne family funds. I suspect that she is far away and in some sort of dire straits.

Maybe she was Hastings' secretary who faked her death, and somehow had to marry Charlie to protect herself? Okay, maybe that is a stretch. As of right now I can't see how she connects to the rest of the plot. I think the whole scenario about Billy missing and the truck being returned is only coincidentally similar to Richard going on the lam after hitting the kid with a truck. Sort of like how BOB and Bobby have the same name, but no real connection.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Additional thoughts.

When I first saw the vacuum cleaner, I thought we were in for another sweeping scene. Anyone else?

Coop got 10 seconds in this episode, Audrey got 10 full minutes. Was her scene the longest, continuous scene in the series to date?

Maybe the brief glimpse we got of Coop will prove to be pivotal. Could the ball to the head be what wakes him up? (We just didn't see it!) :D

Someone on Reddit posted that Sarah could be speaking about the woodsmen coming and we did see a glimpse of them on a stairs that could be the stairs in the Palmer house.

Also, when she's talking about the room and someone looking different (?), is she speaking about Laura?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
jakemartinez
Roadhouse Member

Post by jakemartinez »

My own thought is that Billy is the man with the truck that Richard stole. Billy didn't show up to meet Andy at 4:30pm. Audrey is looking for him. Remember this is all taking place over a few days. I think Audrey will find out Richard killed the boy with Billy's truck.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Jonah wrote:And we got some resolution to Miriam.
One of the few intriguing moments for me, was when Ben instructed Beverly to arrange to pay for hospital treatment of "Miriam... I forget her last name."
Are we going to go down this road again, wondering whether the correct Miriam will be identified in a way that aids whichever arc of any of these stories is heading? LOL there will turn out to be another Miriam also at the hospital -- wackiness ensues!

As for the Cole scene with the girl who makes him wish he spoke a little French -- when they first appeared, did anyone else think there was a dead woman on his shoulder... even if it turned out she was just dozing off or there was some language barrier or other meta reference to the notion Lynch/Cole's "storytelling" is, well, putting any number of us in a "coma"?
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

jakemartinez wrote:My own thought is that Billy is the man with the truck that Richard stole. Billy didn't show up to meet Andy at 4:30pm. Audrey is looking for him. Remember this is all taking place over a few days. I think Audrey will find out Richard killed the boy with Billy's truck.
That makes sense. My first thought was that Charlie heard the whole story of the hit-and-run incident over the phone, hence his hesitation to divulge the information to Audrey. But Audrey was having an affair with that Billy? I still feel like we know nothing about Audrey's current situation.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Jonah wrote:The first half was great and looked set to rival Part 7 as the most Twin Peaksy episode to date. It also looked set to become the best episode to date.
Yeah, I felt really, really happy and excited at that point, and then...meh. Overall, I'm a bit more positive than many others. There was something visually comforting about several of the scenes. Can't explain it better than that.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Mark said to David, "there is only 17 parts to this plot". David says "don't worry I have got this", and pulls together mostly deleted scenes and a couple of legit scenes to form what we have today. :lol: :lol:
jakemartinez
Roadhouse Member

Post by jakemartinez »

Cappy wrote:
jakemartinez wrote:My own thought is that Billy is the man with the truck that Richard stole. Billy didn't show up to meet Andy at 4:30pm. Audrey is looking for him. Remember this is all taking place over a few days. I think Audrey will find out Richard killed the boy with Billy's truck.
That makes sense. My first thought was that Charlie heard the whole story of the hit-and-run incident over the phone, hence his hesitation to divulge the information to Audrey. But Audrey was having an affair with that Billy? I still feel like we know nothing about Audrey's current situation.
I mean why else would they mention Audrey, have the man with the truck, have Bing ask for Billy at the end, have Charlie tell Audrey about Billy's truck going missing... Lynch obviously has this all laid out. Audrey may find out her son killed her lover.