Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by Ragnell »

Deep Thought wrote:Dr. Amp spits "The ninth level of hell will welcome you!" immediately before we cut to Audrey in the office. Probably a coincidence.

I’m not married to the coma idea, but I do think it the most likely until further info is given. Even though I think it would be on the clumsy side for Lynch, the phone calls may be what Audrey can hear from her loved ones telling her the daily news while she lays in her coma. Just bits and pieces and surmises. I hope not, lol.
Whatever the ultimate explanation is, it's clear she's inhabiting her own personal hell. Away from the action, in a loveless marriage, unable to get a reaction no matter what outrageous thing she says or does. She has a dull, lifeless existence with no romance.

And on top of that, her son is so horrible most of the fanbase thinks he's only half-human.

...Checking out wikipedia, according to Dante the 9th Circle was reserved for treachery. A lake of ice in which sinners were trapped in four concentric circles, according to severity. Betrayal of family ties, betrayal of community, betrayal of guests, betrayal of lords.

Audrey is arguing with a man who is devoid of passion, unable to move herself. No matter what happens, her life won't change. She's stuck in a contract, he won't sign any papers to modify or end it. She's in the Ninth Circle of Hell, it's very specific. I wonder if there's a betrayal in her past.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Nighthawk wrote: It's elusive why this scene was so creepy, but it was genius. The scariest stuff is often the unseen.
Part of it is that Grace Zabriskie herself can be f**king scary.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

The Gazebo wrote:
Ragnell wrote:Has anyone compared her facial expressions to Gerard's when MIKE was in control, or the LMFAP himself? Because I'm thinking MIKE as well. And it would explain why she's tracking Doppelcoop, aware of what's in Vegas, has no problem watching the Woodsman off Hastings (even seems a little delighted), but still seethes with utter loathing when she confronts BOB-inhabited Doppelcoop. MIKE working against BOB again, using the FBI to help track him.
Good catch. Because MIKE is essentially anti-BOB for selfish reasons, not pro-good guys in any direct way, IIRC?
Yeah, he's pretty sadistic sometimes. I suspect he might be the Leader of the Black Lodge, annoyed that BOB keeps ignoring his authority.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Ding. Audrey's Billy is a Coop.
Last edited by Deep Thought on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

HagbardCeline wrote:
boske wrote: [*] Audrey's husband may well be the person from Mr C's NYC photo; Probably not the case though;
The actor in that photo was already identified in the thread for that episode. Definitely not Clark Middleton.
Who was it? I must have missed it. I couldn't reconcile the pic with the remaining announced cast list.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Agent Earle wrote: So you think that the drop in quality occured prior to Leland's exposure as Bob? And by that do you mean his exposure to us, the viewers (in E 14), or to the police and the town of TP (in E 16)? I myself see those three episodes which chronicled Maddy's murder and Leland's downfall as the absolute peak of the whole of TP universe (yes, that includes the much-maligned E 16, guilty of wanting to be Lynchian without Lynch according to its critics).
I don't recall exactly. I guess another rewatch is in order 8). Maddy's murder shown in such a visceral and unflinching way, coupled with the surreal stuff going on simultaneously at the Roadhouse, was definitely one of the best sequences in TV history.

I think the plot line of Lucy's baby and Dick Tremayne were some of the early signs that things are going downhill.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

I can see David directing the Audrey scene like this:
AUDREY, YOU DON'T MOVE YOUR LEGS ONE INCH, NO MATTER WHAT.
CHARLIE, YOU DON'T MOVE YOUR BUTT ONE INCH, NO MATTER WHAT.
AUDREY, CHARLIE, YOU BOTH WANT TO MAKE THE OTHER TO MAKE THE FIRST MOVE.
BUT YOU CAN'T BE THE ONE WHO MOVES FIRST.
AUDREY, YOUR FEET ARE GLUED TO THE GROUND.
CHARLIE, YOUR ASS IS GLUED TO THE CHAIR.
ACTION!

Nighthawk wrote: I don't think Bob would inhabit Sarah. She's elderly and downtrodden whereas Bob seemed to be in pursuit of excitement and youthful vigor.
What if Sarah is inhabited by someone else, maybe even some entity that looks female?
What if we will see a scene where we see Sarah's face change into this new face of terror, like we saw happen with Leland?
During the Hawk scene I actually was afraid she would suddenly turn into someone else and I would get a heart attack :D
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

I never really saw decline - I saw difference. The show became sillier and more soapy but I didn't enjoy it less. Perhaps those aspects haven't aged as well, especially for younger viewers who have become used to edgier, darker TV but my memory is of sustained interest.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Maybe "Mother" or "The Experiment" is trying to break through in Sarah's kitchen. Maybe that who is possessing Sarah or just causing her to act strangely. It makes sense that Bob's mother might have some connection to where Bob spent so much time.

Maybe Audrey is helping out on one of the "Blacklist" cases. Watchers of that show will understand why.
Last edited by Esselgee on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Nighthawk wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:I don't really like the idea of Audrey's story being like Shelly's. I don't think it goes with the character we saw at the end of S2. I think there's more interesting directions to show how Audrey's life has gone downhill.

Someone on reddit made the interesting point that the scene felt stuck in time. They weren't using cellphones, and Charlie wasn't using a computer.
It doesn't make any sense that Audrey of old would marry somebody like the guy behind that desk unless the trauma of the bank vault explosion changed her personality. Her being in a coma actually seems more likely. She remains fixed in place during the entire, grueling, 10 minute scene, suggesting that she is immobilized in the real world.
I can imagine Audrey finding herself in trouble given how reckless she was. Even so, the situation is definitely very odd, and it doesn't make sense for a whole new batch of characters to be introduced at this point. I always saw Audrey as being a hopeful character like Bobby, so it would be a letdown for her circumstances to be exactly as they seem.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

What if the coordinates belong to the Palmer house?
AJPRR2GO
Roadhouse Member

Post by AJPRR2GO »

Not done my second watch just yet. Didn't hate the episode but I didn't love it.

What did stand out to me was Sarah and her comment about the jerky.
To me, it implies that things aren't where they are supposed to be. In town. Maybe even in time.
I can definitely see a time-altering element creeping in to this show that may or may not also account for some (if not all) of the inconsistencies in TSHOTP.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

kafa81 wrote:
Jonah wrote:Some pretty wild theories springing up on Reddit (not sure if they've also appeared here?) about Diane maybe being possessed by the LMFAP. Someone posted that the way she says "let's rock" and enters through the red curtains and that we also hear a sound effect in this scene associated with the LMFAP. Not sure what to make of any of these theories (or the Audrey one). But I'm enjoying them. Reminds me of when the LOST theories were in full force.
This was my thought as well...I believe someone once posted that Lynch told actors during the filming even though their character name might be so and so they may be playing someone else, or something along these lines...
So do you think this means that we think we are watching one singular/linear narrative but we are actually watching stories taking places in different universes and that the series will merge into one at the end?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Rhodes wrote:
Agent327 wrote:The original run had some, in my view pretty embarrassing story lines from time to time, we all know what those are. But as poor as they were they were still WAY more entertaining than this. Way less dull, boring, cold, lifeless and slow.
Although this might have been the weakest episode so far of The Return, in my opinion it would have definitely been one of the very top episodes of the original run. Even the socalled strong story lines of the original show were mostly worse than than what we saw last sunday.
I'll take a James/Evelyn scene with awesome Badalamenti music over a throwaway scene of some randos at the Roadhouse that I don't know or care about talking about never-mentioned characters. Having said that, I'm still enjoying the new show. But there are some scenes here and there that have me saying wtf.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Jonah wrote:I think when we all heard Lynch was directing it all it sounded too good to be true. We expected a full season filled with episodes like Episode 14 and Episode 29. But instead we're mostly getting the weaker parts of "Mulholland Drive", in my opinion.
Mulholland Drive doesn't have any weaker parts. For me, it is the only movie in history that is flawless/perfect from the first second till the last.