Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by wAtChLaR »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
wAtChLaR wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Yeah, I was only 15 at the time but it was quite an experience. Which years did you attend to?
2000-2002, seeing Julee Cruise live in 2002 was amazing

Cool. If you hadn't skipped 2001 we could've met.
i was at all 3 2000 2001 2002...we must have met :D
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

wAtChLaR wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
wAtChLaR wrote: 2000-2002, seeing Julee Cruise live in 2002 was amazing

Cool. If you hadn't skipped 2001 we could've met.
i was at all 3 2000 2001 2002...we must have met :D
Then maybe we did. Or maybe not. I was pretty young and shy and didn't mingle very much. But me and my dad ended up being quite popular that year because we were the first brazilians to attend the fest.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

Still not sold on the Gordon/French girl scene and the ending Roadhouse scene, though.
me neither. But david lynch secret agent + bond girl might have been too good a joke to resist, especially, as someone else pointed out, that he deliberately filmed himself to look way older than in other scenes... And as another someone else pointed out, it was all very jacques tati / silent movie / guy maddin
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:The past three parts have also been told more loosely with regards to the chronology. Almost everything in the first nine parts took place in easy to follow, more or less chronological order, other than the clear deviation of the Atomic Bomb. Then in Parts 10 thru 12, it seems that the scenes became more jumbled in the editing room, all still seeming to take place within the same couple of days, but often doubling back and seeming to take place in a more scattered, hard to follow order than usual. This was done to have thematically resonant scenes bounce off one another for sure, but I also wonder if there's something more to it. Are we supposed to feel disoriented? Is time folding in on itself?
I sincerely doubt the vast majority of viewers has noticed stuff like Lucy or Diane's wardrobe swaps or extra night scenes before getting to Jack Rabbit's Palace. It's not disorienting unless you put active effort into geeking out and analyzing the timeline as we do!

It's such an interesting push-and pull in the way that so many viewers seem to think DKL is the ultimate "puzzle box" artist, looking for clues everywhere, whereas DKL has repeatedly said that things making intuitive sense is much more important to him than some intellectual game. I guess the "puzzle box" reputation grows out of the original series' "break the code, solve the crime" shtick, and the infamous MD clues -- so he admittedly does play these types of games sometimes. But it's also important to remember that his last major work was scripted and shot scene by scene, with no ideas whatsoever about an overall narrative arc until midway into filming, because he believed it would all come together through the Unified Field. He's not the biggest planner, and rejoices in letting the chips fall where they may. It's also worth noting that the "clues" on the original show defied rational solution to the point that they were more like surreal non sequitirs (did anyone actually predict the solution to "man in a smiling bag"?), and they never paid off in the sort of Mr. Robot-style "a-ha!" twist people seem to be expecting here. MD is really the only time he's played that kind of game (to great effect, but also out of necessity when he was given the chance to turn the pilot into a movie). Anything is still possible at this stage, but this ain't Lost. DKL is much more interested in creating a mood than mindfucking us.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:Image

Audrey is not acting out of character. She is doing what she has always been doing, trying to help Cooper.
She has made a deal with the devil in marrying Charlie. Charlie has money and has probably been bank rolling that New York observatory location on Audrey's behalf. She is now caught in a loveless contract driven marriage with someone that might be dangerous.
This is a brilliant theory. I'd love it to be true.
Just look at that hand, and the angle that the forearm would have to be at. I think the conclusion is clear.

Yikes!! I'm suddenly dropping out of the "Audrey is in a coma" crowd. :lol:
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

BigEd wrote:
Just look at that hand, and the angle that the forearm would have to be at. I think the conclusion is clear.

Yikes!! I'm suddenly dropping out of the "Audrey is in a coma" crowd. :lol:
that would be a pretty big contract....wow
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:Image

Audrey is not acting out of character. She is doing what she has always been doing, trying to help Cooper.
She has made a deal with the devil in marrying Charlie. Charlie has money and has probably been bank rolling that New York observatory location on Audrey's behalf. She is now caught in a loveless contract driven marriage with someone that might be dangerous.
This is a brilliant theory. I'd love it to be true.
I think the neck and body shape is very different.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Pretty sure it's a different guy. The one with Mr C has a much wider body.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

I looked at that picture freeze frame immediately after the show and assumed it was Moby, but it fits that it is Clark Middleton as Charlie in a clownishly large overcoat standing on a ladder, or possibly on Audrey's shoulders, protecting her. The neck seems a little off for either Moby or Middleton, but I could buy it being either one. I also like thinking about Charlie and Chuck, Mr. C, together, which would be a natural pairing. Here's the photo lightened up a little.
Attachments
Charlie-2.jpg
Charlie-2.jpg (96.87 KiB) Viewed 9334 times
Last edited by Deep Thought on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

OMG! It was so cool seeing Audrey. Can't figure out who her husband is; see a lot of discussion here.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

@deepthought
looked at that picture freeze frame immediately after the show and assumed it was Moby, but it fits that it is Clark Middleton as Charlie in a clownishly large overcoat standing on a ladder, or possibly on Audrey's shoulders, protecting her. The neck seems a little off for either Moby or Middleton, but I could buy it being either one. I also like thinking about Charlie and Chuck, Mr. C, together, which would be a natural pairing. Here's the photo lightened up a little.
no.
phases of the moon.
no.
one bald guy is another bald guy.
no.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

@deepthought
looked at that picture freeze frame immediately after the show and assumed it was Moby, but it fits that it is Clark Middleton as Charlie in a clownishly large overcoat standing on a ladder, or possibly on Audrey's shoulders, protecting her. The neck seems a little off for either Moby or Middleton, but I could buy it being either one. I also like thinking about Charlie and Chuck, Mr. C, together, which would be a natural pairing. Here's the photo lightened up a little.
no.
phases of the moon.
no.
no.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

eyeboogers wrote:The man is not tall, notice that he seems to be hovering in mid-air.
Dreamy Audrey wrote:He's hovering but he's not small. Clark Middleton is only 1.63m and the chin doesn't match.
What is this "hovering" business? The man in the lab coat or trench coat simply appears to have his left foot resting on something (box, ladder, whatever). There's even a stepladder in the Part 1 scenes, and boxes all over the place. His right hand is hanging onto some cables (or whatever) attached to the box.
experiment_room.png
experiment_room.png (684.09 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:

I rewatched Audrey's scene and here are some of the things I noticed.

This is the room Audrey and Charlie are in:

The wood paneling and white wall reminded me of the wall behind the stairs in the woodsman scene of Part 11:

And the doors behind Charlie have the same style as the door in Laura's picture:

The room that Audrey and Charlie are in is upstairs, you can see a stair-rail behind a curtain to the left of the bookshelf:

Maybe this is a bit far-fetched, as there are a lot of rooms with wood paneling in Twin Peaks, but a few people here thought that something was definitely not right in this scene. Some suggested she might still be in a coma or in a mental institution. What if she is trapped in the Lodge, convenience store and/or room from Laura's picture? I know, the convenience store and room on Laura's picture look very run-down and empty, but it could be that Audrey's scene was happening in her mind and she made it look more like a real life room. As I said, it's far-fetched and I'm probably wrong, but I would find that more interesting than Audrey just being married to some guy she doesn't like and it would explain why no one mentioned her in connection to Richard, when she is the most likely candidate for being his mother.

A few other things I noticed:

- On the mantelpiece behind Audrey I spotted the books Happy Times and T.S. Eliot's Four Quartets, which (according to wikipedia) consists of four poems that are "interlinked meditations with the common theme being man's relationship with time, the universe, and the divine". One of the poems is about "the unity of past, present, and future", another poem describes life as "travelling in a boat" (there was a picture of a boat on the wall behind Charlie). The title Happy Times is very ironic, considering Audrey's life didn't seem very happy in this scene. I don't know the book, but apparently one of the characters is a blind stepdaughter, which made me think of Naido, the woman in the Purple Room. Maybe someone here has read Four Quartets or Happy Times and can tell us if there are any parallels to Audrey's situation or the series in general?

- Audrey tells Charlie he should talk to his crystal ball, to which he replies he doesn't have a crystal ball, but there is something that looks very much like a crystal ball on his desk.

- Audrey says that Billy's been missing for two days. When Audrey was trapped in One Eyed Jacks in Season 2, Ben told Hary: "Audrey’s missing ... For as much as maybe two days. "
Synchronicity! Marth Nochimson uses Four Quartets to illustrate a Lynchian physics lesson in time which is circular or curved.

"And the end of our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time"

--the poem also mentions owls and firs

She would also probably warn against Audrey's scene being a dream. What she calls the " Lynchian threshold" (good observation on the doors) leads characters to external, immersive "strange realities that physicists have been talking about for nearly a century"
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

referendum wrote:@deepthought
no.
phases of the moon.
no.
no.
Is that a haiku? Something seems a little fishy about it. :lol:
There's your roast beef and cheese.