Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by Hester Prynne »

sewhite2000 wrote:The EW podcast has been terrific. I've been listening to it every week.

I saw an article on TVGuide.com which claimed a new theory has been "exploding all over the Internet". Here's the theory: the "Chuck" referenced by Audrey is actually Richard. Chuck is a familiar variation on Charles, so this theory claims his real name is Richard Charles Horne or Charles Richard Horne, and that he's the son of Charlie and Audrey. Audrey says Chuck stole a truck, and we know Richard was driving a stolen truck.

I'm just throwing that out there, since I heard it. Not saying I endorse it. Actually, I think the theory is kind of week. First of all, Ben said Richard had "no father", so it seems unlikely that Charlie, who's still alive and appears, for better or worse, to still be a big part of Audrey's life, would have been an absent father. Also, why would Richard have the last name Horne instead of Charlie's last name? Using his mother's last name? Again, seems unlikely Richard would use his mother's last name if his father has always been around and is still part of his mother's life. (Also, the theory accepts Audrey's is Richard's mother, which still hasn't been definitively stated).

I was a little annoyed the article claimed the theory was "all over the Internet" when I hadn't heard anyone from here mention it! Surely, this is one of if not the largest forum where fans of the show gather!
Yep - I saw that article and had the same thoughts. Also, Charlie's last name is oddly left out of the credits. The only way this would jive with what Ben said is if Charlie somehow didn't conform to Ben's idea of what a father should be and this is equivalent to not having a father at all to him. I'm not sold on the idea of Richard being Audrey's son just yet - yes, it is starting to look that way, but I still wonder if it might be some sort of misdirection.
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by pixletwin »

I believe Charlie is likely a step-father to Richard... and likely not very close to Richard. So Ben's statement about him not having a father would still apply.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

thedarktrees wrote:
kafa81 wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:Several thoughts surfaced during hours of yard work today:

Analyzing the room where Charlie and Audrey are conversing has revealed some very weird stuff, but the fact that she is so perfectly intact is strange in itself. She was standing in the blast radius of no small explosion but doesn't show any physical sign of it.

Was Albert really getting fed up with Gordon's friend, or was he deciphering a message from her body language? They're both hyper aware of what Diane might do with any information she can get her hands on. This could have been a silent transmission for the sake of total security. Gordon also referred to her as visiting a friend of her mother, who has a daughter that's gone missing. It's reminiscent of Lil -- who delivered coded messages using nothing but unique movements -- being his "mother's sister's girl". This could even explain how Gordon knows this friend to begin with: Gordon's aunt is friends with her mother (and Lil is missing!).

The scene with Hutch and Chantal has been called unnecessary but wasn't the whole point to illustrate how callous and deranged they are? Don't know about you guys but it got me concerned, especially when you consider how yrev capable they appear to be. He was fairly eager to find a way to get the warden into their van for a torture session. That really gave me the chills. What's particularly uncomfortable about it is imagining how it must be a regular thing for them, not to mention that this happens in the real world too.
I think it is also supposed to give us a sense of timing and what is to come next.

Mr.C says he wants Hutch and Chantal to kill a warden for him and gives them the details...
After that he says: And then I've got a doubleheader for you in Las Vegas...which I assume means Cooper and possibly Mr.Todd...

Now that Hutch and Chantal have killed the warden, we know they are on their way to Las Vegas to go after Cooper and I guess Mr.Todd...?

And we might see this in part 14 or 15 is my guess...I just wanna know how Cooper is going to get outta this one....or maybe he wont get out of it :(
All this stuff around the assassinations and the timing and all that is making a little bit more sense now. I just got back to thinking about this following the warden Murphy shooting scene in Ep12. Showing that was clearly setting up a next scene with whatever they're going to do in Vegas.

But another possibility: maybe the doubleheader in Vegas isn't Coop and Duncan Todd. Maybe it's really Janey-E and Sonny Jim....
This is also quite possible... And considering TP TR is Frost and Lynch doing whatever they damn well please without interference I don't see why this couldn't happen.

But one thing that did pop into my head after watching the One Armed Man say to Coop...NOW ONE OF YOU MUST DIE... How do we know he is specifically talking about Dale Cooper and Mr.C ? He could be talking about someone else...such as Janey-E...right?
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Hester Prynne wrote:Listened to Entertainment Weekly's podcast yesterday, and they had a good interpretation of the scene with Cole's French companion - that this is sort of Lynch's last hoorah in being Lynch and reveling in his obsessions before the story tightens up in the last leg of the season. Obviously, there's still a third of the show left, so he has plenty of time to do all the crazy and weird things his heart desires, but as the show comes to an end, it will force more of the storylines to converge and come to a resolution (or Lynch's version of one).

There is a lot of that frustration or feelings of being stuck in this episode as others have noted on this thread - Audrey's long scene standing in one place trying to pull information out of Charlie and wanting to leave. The Jacoby time loop where the scene ends referencing the ninth circle of hell where people are essentially frozen and unable to move. Albert's frustration with Cole who just wants to go back and enjoy his Bordeaux. People are ready to "rock," but Lynch is putting on the brakes.

But - we have Jerry who has finally made it out of the woods having been stuck there for most of the season and "Trick" is no longer under house arrest. Don't know if things will start accelerating tonight, but I thought this was an interesting take on the episode.

This podcast has been lights out in my opinion...really love listening to Jeff Jensen and Darren Franich attack this thing part by part..they have both been terrific and their insight is fantastic..I was initially a bit disappointed with this episode, but after listening to their podcast, and seeing their take on it, especially Darren's, I re-watched the ep and thought it was great...maybe not the best of the bunch, but a very Twin Peaks worthy part...All in all this series/movie/event has been blowing me away, and I for one can only hope for one more season of this stuff :D
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

Charlie could also be "Charlotte" (Grace Victoria Cox)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Rudagger wrote:
Ross wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:I agree with a couple of other posters. The hit on Dougie was contracted before he became DougieCoop, but Evil Coop knew what time that was going to happen, and the assassins were instructed to not kill him until after that time.
I think that's supposed to be the takeaway. I do think actually mentioning the time restriction would have helped though.

And since this plan had been in place for like ten years, it might have made sense for EvilCoop to make sure the switch actually happened before going thru with the hit.
But, if the switch didn't happen, then presumably Doppelcoop would be in the Black Lodge again anyway (and real Coop would've taken his place in the car). What's Doppelcoop care if the real Dougie Jones gets killed at that point? It'd be his last middle finger to the world before returning.
No I meant if the switch didn't happen at all at that exact moment. Like - if for some reason the switch happens an hour late. Or a day late. Then the hit men kill the real Dougie and ruin evilCoops plan. Why not wait til after to make sure?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Today I thought of the scene where Sonny Jim tosses the ball and it bounces off DougieCoop, who's clueless what to do with it.
The phrase "What's the catch?" -- this is now how I (personally) interpret it. A wink or a meta-joke, as in, "What's the catch, Lynch? What's the catch Frost?" w/r/t the ongoing suspense and unresolved subplots, waiting for enough dots to connect. Their audience not wanting vainly to "catch their drift" only to see it float off into another stranded direction.

C'mon, Lynch and Frost. What's the catch??? :D
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

Troubbble wrote:Is Billy NOT confirmed to be the guy Andy met with? If he was credited as "Farmer," I forgot.
Edward 'Ted' Dowling was credited as "Farmer" in part 7 - This is the person Andy talks with about the truck Richard Horne was driving. Part 7 ends with the scene in the Double R Diner with Riley Lynch as the character Bing, opening the door and yelling, "Has anyone seen Billy?"

There is nothing proving the farmer is Billy, only speculation.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

The phrase "What's the catch?" -- this is now how I (personally) interpret it
you'll be telling us next that Lynch was drinking the wine because we were supposed to think of '' scraping the barrel''. :D
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

sycamore wrote:
Troubbble wrote:Is Billy NOT confirmed to be the guy Andy met with? If he was credited as "Farmer," I forgot.
Edward 'Ted' Dowling was credited as "Farmer" in part 7 - This is the person Andy talks with about the truck Richard Horne was driving. Part 7 ends with the scene in the Double R Diner with Riley Lynch as the character Bing, opening the door and yelling, "Has anyone seen Billy?"

There is nothing proving the farmer is Billy, only speculation.
The timeline of the stolen truck doesn't really work for the farmer. Chuck stole it, then Billy spoke to the sheriff and it was returned. I think this is another car theft.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned here or elsewhere, but I noticed these recurring loop-shaped pendants in part 12.

The circles/loops were everywhere in the first two seasons, reflecting the cyclic nature of events in Twin Peaks (“It is happening again.”). Donuts, Coop’s ring, MIKE’s “golden circle”, the Circle Brand boots Andy buys from Gerard, smoke rings, the circle of trees, the oil pool, and a lot of other stuff. Then we have BOB’s circle of candles in the European movie ending, and MIKE’s circle of candles in TMP.
loops_b.jpg
loops_b.jpg (724.74 KiB) Viewed 18209 times
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

I can''t remember for the life of me if it was here or Reddit (I'm FAIRLY certain it was the former) but a member whose name I also cannot recall had made a post about an acquaintance in-the-know saying
Spoiler:
Cooper's awakening is happening episode 13.
I'm aware "..someone I'm friends with has connections" comments should always be taken with a grain of salt but y'kno...what if? I'll always recall the infamous 4-chan post about the revival nobody believed. Look how that turned out. Guess we'll find out soon enough!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

For people who read the old spoiler thread...

What ever happened to...
Spoiler:
Renzo?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

I'm suspect the back half of episode 12 was Lynch indulging himself one last time before getting on with the plot in tonight's episode. Gordon/Lynch enjoying the French lady while Albert wanted to speed things up was just way too meta to mean anything else.

Basically think episode 12 was David Lynch saying "I'm fascinated by femme fatales, awkward silences, and uncomfortable drawn out conversations between frustrated people and it's my show and I worked hard to be here so I'll do what I want for a stretch whether you like it or not."

I might have found it a bit tedious, but I can kinda respect him for it too.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Jasper wrote:I don’t know if it’s been mentioned here or elsewhere, but I noticed these recurring loop-shaped pendants in part 12.

The circles/loops were everywhere in the first two seasons, reflecting the cyclic nature of events in Twin Peaks (“It is happening again.”). Donuts, Coop’s ring, MIKE’s “golden circle”, the Circle Brand boots Andy buys from Gerard, smoke rings, the circle of trees, the oil pool, and a lot of other stuff. Then we have BOB’s circle of candles in the European movie ending, and MIKE’s circle of candles in TMP.

Very nice catch. 'And everything will proceed cyclically' as it says in the FWWM script.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?