Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

fluorescent light

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by fluorescent light »

When did Sheryl Lee (credited) appear in this episode? I must have missed it

To the question above: subtitle was "end your story too"
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I loved the touch of having the announcer who we've only previously seen introduce "The" Nine Inch Nails introduce James Hurley. I also love how this was the most blatantly nostalgic scene in a series that has been almost teasingly witholding it so far.
fluorescent light

Post by fluorescent light »

On Sarah Palmer's boxing loop. The interesting thing to me wasn't the repetition, but that there was a slight pause or blip in the last repeat that occurred without Sarah doing anything to the TV. An indication of some kind of electrical disturbance...?
ryanmj1993
Roadhouse Member

Post by ryanmj1993 »

I really don't think these episodes/scenes are going in orde. Didn't Lynch say something about it may not be in order?
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

fluorescent light wrote:When did Sheryl Lee (credited) appear in this episode? I must have missed it

This HAS to be the most asked repeat question...
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Out of all the returning female characters from the original series, it seems Lucy has the best taste in men.
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

I rarely post before a re-watch, but thoughts:

- the spotlight made me SO nervous. foreshadowing? Trolling?

- Fusco totally makes the connection to Cooper, but trashes it. Classic trolling.

- which boxing match is that? Could it be Dougie's boss? Whether or not it's a time loop something is happening in that house (pun intended) The electricity noice is significant

- "found stuff from my father today" I think really challenges the expectations that this is entirely linear

- the arm wrestling stuff was classic

- love that the arm wrestling gang is all watching the exact same show we are. Reminds me a lot of the commentary we picked up from them watching the empty box early on in the season- things are happening, stakes are higher, and now we are ALL really watching

- I am completely convinced Audrey is stuck in a dream or coma. "Do you want me to end your story?" The ghost wood comment? So many non-sequitors its completely dream like. I have zero doubts at this point

- All the Dougie's joke setups were fantastic

- Totally thought szymon's or whatever pie was gonna be connected to norma

- poor big ed

-BOB is definitely still in cooper, and jeffries or someone from the lodge pretending to be jeffries wants him home NOW. "I''m supposed to go back to a place called the black lodge tomorrow, but I'm not going there."

- loved the re-doing of the end of FWWM with the ring...I think we're inching closer to understanding.

- Lynch got us SO GOOD with the James song. Kudos. Which brings me to the last point-

I think Lynch has been toying with expectations the entire season, but this one really brought it all home. So much epic trolling. This entire episode was constantly fucking with our expectations. But also seemed to be one of the most dense and signicant this season. Cannot wait to watch this 3 more times.
I'm back in style!
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

sylvia_north wrote:Now the psychiatrist getting chummy with the patient (twice over if SHOTP is accurate,)
What are you referring to here?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Another instance of toying with expectations was the Roadhouse announcer. He previously appeared before a major act, and when I saw him I thought that we might be seeing Eddie Vedder earlier than expected. Instead it was James Hurley singing Just You. Audacious, and pretty hilarious.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Jasper wrote:Another instance of toying with expectations was the Roadhouse announcer. He previously appeared before a major act, and when I saw him I thought that we might be seeing Eddie Vedder earlier than expected. Instead it was James Hurley singing Just You. Audacious, and pretty hilarious.
"The Roadhouse is proud to present... the James Hurley."
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

garethw wrote:
Jasper wrote:Another instance of toying with expectations was the Roadhouse announcer. He previously appeared before a major act, and when I saw him I thought that we might be seeing Eddie Vedder earlier than expected. Instead it was James Hurley singing Just You. Audacious, and pretty hilarious.
"The Roadhouse is proud to present... the James Hurley."
"proud to welcome . . . " not "to present . . ."
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Voltaire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voltaire »

Jasper wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:What do we think of the significance of the ring now? Why did Mr. C make Ray put it on? And why did it disappear after his body went into the Red Room?
As I've understood it since FWWM, the ring probably dooms the wearer to death, and definitely ensures that they're taken to the lodge in short order (Jeffries, Desmond, Dougie), or upon death (Teresa Banks, Laura, and now Ray). The wearing of the ring seems to guarantee the garmonbozia of the individual to the lawful elements of the lodge (MIKE/Gerard, the Arm, maybe others). In the case of Laura, it also seems to guarantee against possession by BOB.

The contract between the chaotic BOB and the lawful MIKE seems to involve BOB being a harvester of garmonbozia. My question now is why the doppelganger had Ray wear the ring. The doppelganger didn't follow the lodge rule about going back in 25 years after his escape, so why does he seemingly obey the ring contract?

In case anyone thinks I'm being too literal in reading the lodge "mythology", please realize that I'm just looking at it from one angle, and taking that as far as I can. I've always looked at the lodge from multiple angles. Ultimately it might have no rules and might not make sense, but there are things to understand about it which tie directly into the story, so I don't think pondering this is harmful if one realizes that it's just one way of looking at things.
So I think he made Ray wear the ring for 2 purposes. 1. To possibly harvest garmanbozia. 2. More importantly, he wanted to give Mike and presumably Jefferies who might be working with Mike a bit of fuck you. Here is your assassin nice try. Just to let them know they've clearly failed.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

fluorescent light wrote:When did Sheryl Lee (credited) appear in this episode? I must have missed it

Sheryl Lee singing backup in the roadhouse (audio only).
There's your roast beef and cheese.
IAmHappeningAgain
Roadhouse Member

Post by IAmHappeningAgain »

James playing his song again was the greatest thing in the history of the universe.