Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by LateReg »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Just published my response to pt. 13: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/08/ ... ry-is.html. A lot happened tonight, yet I also feel like I'm fully on the train of "nothing HUGE is going to happen until pt. 16 at least and I'm ok w/ that." Also, man is it ever clearer and clearer that the timeline is being flagrantly messed with. I'm leaning toward the "Lynch said 'screw it' and sought emotional balance and tempo over temporal logic" but the way he's not even trying to disguise the lapses definitely makes me wonder if there's more than that going on.
Re: the timeline and not disguising the lapses, did you notice the Big Ed reflection right before the closing credits, and what do you think it means regarding the purposeful, increasingly non linear chronology? I've been wondering, like you, if the editing isn't just about thematic resonance and more about something else going on with time, and somehow the Big Ed alt. universe reflection seems to...reflect that notion.
Little Pine Cone
Roadhouse Member

Post by Little Pine Cone »

Regarding Ed's reflection:
In an interview one of the writers (Peyton maybe?) gave years ago, it was discussed that TP's doppelganger mythology was going to be expanded upon for a season 3 (the initial season 3, in the 90's). He revealed that every last one of us have a doppelganger that exists alongside us, 2 seconds removed from our timeline. So, literally our "shadow self" behind us, in time.
This concept was briefly dramatized in FWWM, in the scene where Cooper catches a frozen image of himself on a security camera.
So there is that reflection and Ed is literally playing with fire which, to me, recalls Leland quoting BOB "You wanna play with fire, little boy?" as he strikes a match.
Between this and other odd, subtle occurrences around town (the disappearing / switched patrons at The Double R) I'm a little freaked out that maybe they are going for it now. Freaked out in a good, delicious, skin crawling way.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Little Pine Cone wrote:Regarding Ed's reflection:
In an interview one of the writers (Peyton maybe?) gave years ago, it was discussed that TP's doppelganger mythology was going to be expanded upon for a season 3 (the initial season 3, in the 90's). He revealed that every last one of us have a doppelganger that exists alongside us, 2 seconds removed from our timeline. So, literally our "shadow self" behind us, in time.
This concept was briefly dramatized in FWWM, in the scene where Cooper catches a frozen image of himself on a security camera.
So there is that reflection and Ed is literally playing with fire which, to me, recalls Leland quoting BOB "You wanna play with fire, little boy?" as he strikes a match.
Between this and other odd, subtle occurrences around town (the disappearing / switched patrons at The Double R) I'm a little freaked out that maybe they are going for it now. Freaked out in a good, delicious, skin crawling way.
Nice! Thanks!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

claaa7 wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:James just sang "Just You". It is happening again.

The ending shot of Big Ed burning an unknown piece of paper... I don't know. To me that was proof that some stories in Twin Peaks are non linear. I wonder if all those cars passing by will prove to be significant?

And Audrey is definitely out of her mind.
what about the scene proved that? something i noticed is that when Big Ed looked out the window towards the gas station it certainly looked like the front of the conveience store that the Woodsman circulated through in ep. 8.

did you notice in the scene with Bobby, Big Ed and Norma Bobby says that "they found some things of my father's EARLIER TODAY" which suggest that the storylines are only roughly parallel. like we could see five days of Vegas in three episodes while still seeing scenes from two days of Twin Peaks happenings srpead out through the same three episodes.
It goes beyond that though because I don't think the nighttime scene of Bobby meeting with Shelly & Becky and then going outside to deal with the gunshot could be the same night as his visit to the diner and sitting with Big Ed. I mean I guess he could theoretically have finished dealing with the sick kid, gone home, changed, and come back to the diner but it sure as hell didn't play like that was only a few hours after the traffic stuff haha.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

Through the darkness of Big Ed's night
The Hurley pines for thee
One eats soup behind cold desk
Norma, Bear With Me
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Oh one crackpot theory I forgot to mention in my piece - the kind of thing that popped into my head but I don't actually believe, but is kind of fun.

People have wondered if Richard and Linda are evil and good Cooper's kids, respectively (Richard w/ Audrey, Linda w/ Annie)? We still haven't seen Linda, even though we've heard her name but I wondered what if that Linda was a red herring, and Linda is actually Candie's real name? Amy Shiels is the right age, and Candie's wondrous innocence is somewhat reflective of Annie and good Coop (albeit exaggerated, just as Richard Horne is almost undiluted evil). And it makes more sense than the reincarnated-Laura and/or -Annie theories out there!

Ok, in all seriousness I fully expect the Linda in the trailer park to be *the* Linda. And I won't be surprised if she's Cooper's daughter with Annie although we have yet to get any evidence of that (or even conclusive evidence about Richard). But given the giant's intro it would make sense to go in that direction.
Jadegive2rides

Post by Jadegive2rides »

Shloogorgh wrote:Through the darkness of Big Ed's night
The Hurley pines for thee
One eats soup behind cold desk
Norma, Bear With Me

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for this!
Call for help
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

I don't think Lynch was trolling having James up there singing that song. As someone who thought it was one of the cheesier moments from the original I oddly thought it was a really needed moment and blended perfectly with his uncle's scene following it. It was beautiful to be honest.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Jadegive2rides

Post by Jadegive2rides »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:I don't think Lynch was trolling having James up there singing that song. As someone who thought it was one of the cheesier moments from the original I oddly thought it was a really needed moment and blended perfectly with his uncle's scene following it. It was beautiful to be honest.

Did we both hear the same version of the song? Wow, it was painful. A funny homage- but still very painful.
Call for help
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Only blatant mistake this episode: Ed scene REALLY should have gone before the Roadhouse scene. No reason to break the usual structure.. it fell flat. Almost a very good ending but the detail really annoyed me. Considering how good it was otherwise. Btw I almost felt like the character who saw / heard it. Should I laugh or cry?
Last edited by DirkG on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jadegive2rides wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:I don't think Lynch was trolling having James up there singing that song. As someone who thought it was one of the cheesier moments from the original I oddly thought it was a really needed moment and blended perfectly with his uncle's scene following it. It was beautiful to be honest.

Did we both hear the same version of the song? Wow, it was painful. A funny homage- but still very painful.
I love the song and cried during this performance of it. Truly beautiful, surprising, and perfectly placed this deep into the show.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

DirkG wrote:Only blatant mistake this episode: Ed scene REALLY should have gone before the Roadhouse scene. No reason to break the usual structure.. it fell flat. Almost a very good ending but the detail really annoyed me. Considering how good it was otherwise. Btw I almost felt like the character who saw / heard it. Should I laugh or cry?
I disagree. Ed was a more affecting final scene. And also, there isn't actually a pattern. Quite a few parts have ended with a scene outside the roadhouse.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

DirkG wrote:Only blatant mistake this episode: Ed scene REALLY should have gone before the Roadhouse scene. No reason to break the usual structure.. it fell flat. Almost a very good ending but the detail really annoyed me. Considering how good it was otherwise. Btw I almost felt like the character who saw / heard it. Should I laugh or cry?
I assume it's the way it is cuz edited as one chunk and then chopped into pieces, and ending this particular part that way felt esoteric or something. idk I thought it worked and was different instead of ending with a predictable music scene.
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by pixletwin »

I wish Just You would have hadn't been just James miming to the vocals he laid down in 1990.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Jadegive2rides wrote:

It wasn't Pavarotti singing no.. But again as I clearly stated I thought it was a bit corny and random in the original but in this episode I thought it made perfect sense for where it was placed and as someone who felt a bit disappointed with the last episode and in general the lack of some of the core original cast this season it really made me personally feel something positive out of it. It felt very grounded. You can dis the vocals all you want but I didn't think it was funny I was actually really excited when I heard it.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.