When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

boske
Great Northern Member

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Post by boske »

It'd be fun if Dougie walked on the street with his boss and some bum merely asked him "gotta light?" and that got him to wake up. :-)

Seriously, maybe he will wake up once none of us really care anymore. L&F are surely messing up with us here.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

boske wrote:It'd be fun if Dougie walked on the street with his boss and some bum merely asked him "gotta light?" and that got him to wake up. :-)

Seriously, maybe he will wake up once none of us really care anymore. L&F are surely messing up with us here.
Or, after the Roadhouse ending in E18, Dougie says: "I love the town of Twin Peaks".
Then this appears on screen: "Twin Peaks: The Awakening. Coming Soon. Fall 2018"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
boske
Great Northern Member

Re: When do you think will

Post by boske »

yaxomoxay wrote:
boske wrote:It'd be fun if Dougie walked on the street with his boss and some bum merely asked him "gotta light?" and that got him to wake up. :-)

Or, after the Roadhouse ending in E18, Dougie says: "I love the town of Twin Peaks".
Then this appears on screen: "Twin Peaks: The Awakening. Coming Soon. Fall 2018"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah. "Twin Peaks: The Coop Awakens" :lol:
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I thought it would happen a few episodes before the end but in all likelihood it's probably going to be during the finale now.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Nope, not falling for this "at the finale" thing yet. Saying it's the next episode again. Because as I said, eventually it will be next episode.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

If 0 was DougieCoop's first appearance and 10 would be 'Old Coop back and firing on all cylinders' we're truly still at 1. Dougie's awakening has been non-existent; like if he'd been able to point at the cherry pie or just ask for it then you could argue otherwise but he still shows no real autonomy or capacity for independent action.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Actually, I did come to a conclusion this ep that goes deeper than "Well, next ep then."

I think Cooper's going to wake up BEFORE he goes to Twin Peaks. I used to think that was because we saw so much of Vegas just accommodating his state that he'd wake up for some contrast scenes but the plot is reinforcing this idea. So far everything that could bring someone to pick him up--the Key, the fingerprints--has waited for a couple eps before proving to be a dead end. No one is coming to get him. He can Mr. Magoo his continued existence in Las Vegas, but NOTHING is pointing him to Twin Peaks and nothing is pointing his allies there. He's going to have to get there himself somehow. Either he remembers enough to TELL them without waking up fully (which, given his communication problems, is a really slim chance) or he wakes up enough to make the decision to leave on his own.
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

i hope ep. 15 or 16
Ene

Post by Ene »

You know, I really do think it might be the finale. Does it really matter at this point? As much as I've liked The Return, we still haven't spend any time with one of the most iconic characters of entertainment history, whom everyone watching was expecting to meet. It's excruciatingly disappointing, but it is what it is. When it's all over, I imagine the whole season is going be wholly more satisfying.

I really hope there's another season in the future, with proper parts for the original cast. Those characters are far too interesting to be sidelined.
MySocksAreOnFire!

Post by MySocksAreOnFire! »

Ene wrote:I really hope there's another season in the future, with proper parts for the original cast. Those characters are far too interesting to be sidelined.
Or another prequel movie?
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

Let's hope so. I think there have been so many clues to his real ability it gets frustrating and leads to disappointment episode after episode. Like his reaction to coffee and cherry pie are just the same and especially the episode where he attacked and took the gun from Ike. Something in him woke up then as with seeing the ceiling lights (reminiscent of episode 16 with Leland) and the flag in the office. It's like a part of him must know that he is supposed to be in a different line of work but he can't figure it out yet. Maybe he will have more profound black lodge dreams or something. I hope he's not gone until the finale.
The Angels will return...
Voltaire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voltaire »

I am pretty convinced that we won't see him at his full powers this season. I do think that he will be better than a drooling idiot for the last 2 or 3 hours of the series but still not at full mental capacity. They have decided not to include the iconic version of Special Agent Dale Cooper in this season. We are more than 70% through so as previously mentioned what is the point of him coming back. It is quite obvious they wanted to stir these feelings of disappointment in the viewer. The way they tease us with him possibly waking up makes that quite obvious. Not the artistic approach I was hoping for but I'm resigned to the fact that there will be little to no Cooper this season. I would prefer they just kill Dougie Cooper at this point, I hate him so fucking much, and continue the series without him. I am just over him walking into doors and getting out of things Mr. Mgoo style...just end him and focus the story on Gordon Cole and the gang going after Dopple Coop/Bob. Again, I think this is exactly what Lynch/Frost wanted some of their viewers to feel.

That being said, I love the show. I look forward to it all week long and think about quite a lot. It is better than any movie or TV show I've seen in the last decade. It is so fantastic that I still love it even without Cooper. I am sad that this will be ending after 5 more hours.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

I don't think the point of the murder attempts is to show different reactions from Dougie/Dale, but to show purity of heart resulting in various ways of bettering people's lives. Look at how the murder attempts have ended for the perpetrators.

Lorraine was killed.
Ike was arrested.
The Mitchems were converted into allies and recieved $30M.
Tony was reduced to tears and given penance to do.

The more interaction with Dougie, the less violent the resolution.

We now have 2 extra baddies in Vegas, the two cops, ands the Hutchenses on their way. That with Mr. Todd makes 3-5 ends, and this will be for people who have directly interacted with Mr. C, whose corruptive influence matches Dale's virtuous influence.

We won't see Dale wake up until Lynch and Frost have made their point about evil vs innocence and are moving on to a more active counter.

In the meantime, it kind of reminds me of Golden Age Wonder Woman how he can counter violence but also appeal to the humanity of others and turn them into allies with tenderness and revealing the truth. Except WW was awake. (Though also from a mystical realm and often baffled by the rules of Man's World.) Dougie is a sleepwalking superhero.

The longer this goes on, though, the more I expect a snap wakeup. Dale awakening would be a way to accelerate the resolution. It looks like it will be the Point of No Return storywise.
Voltaire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voltaire »

I do find the various interpretations into Dougie's drooling idiocy very interesting. Finding more artistic meaning than a mentally challenged Mr. Magoo type character who occasionally gets help from the lodge. You guys have a much better attitude towards it than I do. I sometimes wonder if people expect so much more from Lynch/Frost that the they are reading deeper meanings into the storyline than really exist in an effort to justify it. To me it looks like the intent was to bother/challenge the viewer by teasing them with what they really want and only giving them this very shitty version of it. Mission accomplished in that regard. I will of course reserve final judgement on the awfulness of Dougie until I can watch all 18 parts in blocks as opposed to week to week. Maybe Dougie will be less awful but I doubt it.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

In business, you can have certain investments that fail and then you write them off and, I suppose, use that as a capital loss. It is not yet over, but if it keeps at this pace, I will simply write this season off. We have waited 25 years just to be trolled with Dougie, pay premium cable and get up at 3 am in Europe to watch this? So yes, I will be considering it all as a bad investment of my time and move on. I am no longer expecting anything from the Dougie story line so I no longer feel trolled either.