'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

IcedOver

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby IcedOver » Wed May 31, 2017 10:39 am

I read this over the weekend, before watching the new series. It was a semi-interesting diversion, but not much more. It's clear that a split exists between Frost and Lynch over what's important in the series, and I believe Lynch referred to this book as just Frost's version of the show's history.

The UFO stuff is way overdone, as is taking a very minor character (
Spoiler:
Doug Milford
) and elevating him to the such a status. I was hoping that Dr. Hayward would be the Archivist. The revelation of TP's identity may be useless, although I had already read the name on this forum prior to reading it.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Thatfabulousalien

Postby Thatfabulousalien » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:44 pm

laughingpinecone wrote:Whoa! You know, I'm starting to look forward to the audiobook's background music and noises, among other things.

& If he managed to find a good excuse for people in-universe to be calling that metaphysical place "Lodge(s)", my hat's off to him & his awesome retconning powers. ('cause Parsons was connected to Crowley who was connected to the concept of Lodges Frost drew from in the first place, yes?)

It vaguely influenced some ideas in the show but I still find it a horrendously lazy idea for Frost to say "fuck it, Crowley and Parsons are now part of the chronology", when none of the actual Twin Peaks mythology actually connects with that of Thelema (which is it's own religion, or spiritual/philosophy - depending on who you talk to).
(Thelema and Crowley's writings are really, really beautiful btw)

It still irks me to this day, even with the incredible visuals of episode 8 of The Return, just knowing that Frost was trying to tie them directly into it (disregarding Parson's own beliefs about the rocket and sexuality) comes off as lazy world building, also considering that prior, there haven't been much real-world references :x
eyeboogers

Postby eyeboogers » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:05 am

Thatfabulousalien wrote:
It vaguely influenced some ideas in the show but I still find it a horrendously lazy idea for Frost to say "fuck it, Crowley and Parsons are now part of the chronology", when none of the actual Twin Peaks mythology actually connects with that of Thelema (which is it's own religion, or spiritual/philosophy - depending on who you talk to).
(Thelema and Crowley's writings are really, really beautiful btw)

It still irks me to this day, even with the incredible visuals of episode 8 of The Return, just knowing that Frost was trying to tie them directly into it (disregarding Parson's own beliefs about the rocket and sexuality) comes off as lazy world building, also considering that prior, there haven't been much real-world references :x

I really like that whole aspect of season 3 and the books. I don't see what makes it lazy. Also there were always references to real world events and conspiracies on "Twin Peaks". "Project Blue Book" being a comparable example.
laughingpinecone

Postby laughingpinecone » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 pm

As are the Lindbergh case and JFK on the conspiracies front, and then The Scarlet Letter, Marlon Brando and filmography thereof, James Bond...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.

Return to “Books”