Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Mr. Reindeer

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:49 am

It seems to me like Belushi is just goofing around. If it did screen at the White House, I doubt the President got past the first five minutes. Doesn’t strike me as his cup of tea.
sylvia_north

Postby sylvia_north » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It seems to me like Belushi is just goofing around. If it did screen at the White House, I doubt the President got past the first five minutes. Doesn’t strike me as his cup of tea.

Then it was a scripted joke, because the cardboard cutout personalities (don’t know their names) prompt it: “Eight executives saw it and then there was..” then Belushi, Kimmy and Dana- in unison- continue, and Kyle gives the punchline. It’s the plausibility of the joke that makes it funny. 45 is contemporary in celebrity culture to WKLP and is all about his Hollywood juice, anyone alive then would be hard as a rock to get in on yuge secrets whether they cared or not.

Honestly, I took it literally when I saw it, even talked about it with someone who chats with Kimmy from time to time who took it literally. *shrug* I think I even told my parents. In a world of possibilities... Trump is a character in SHOTP :lol: and I bet he loves it, too.

New Yorker article on Trump and Lynch’s “intersection in the cultural imagination” from last week https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... avid-lynch
LFB > S3 < green tea latte Frank
N. Needleman

Postby N. Needleman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Donald Trump is a man who his sons said liked to fast forward through the 'slow parts' of Die Hard. I have absolutely zero doubt he's never seen a frame of Twin Peaks.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Just watched the clip again in a quieter environment than earlier. It’s very clearly a dual joke about the secrecy of the shoot and Trump’s loose-lipped nature. The joke is that the strictly enforced secrecy DKL fostered on TP is enough to keep even Trump mum.
bosguy1981

Postby bosguy1981 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:53 am

It was definitely a then-timely joke about President Trump's loose lips. They gave that interview the day of breaking news that Donald Trump revealed highly-classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador when they were visiting the White House.

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”