General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Jonah

Re: General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Jonah » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:12 am

Did anyone ever add up how much screentime (of the 18 hours) features the town of Twin Peaks? Seems like something a fan somewhere would have worked out.

And have any fanedits appeared yet, cutting out most of the scenes set in other locations, and only keeping Twin Peaks scenes and Red Room scenes in the cut? I figured something like this would have appeared by now, given how many people were disappointed in The Return.

I like it myself (though I prefer the original series), but would be interested if any such things have been calculated/produced.
mtwentz

Postby mtwentz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Do you include the Red Room, Mauve Room, and White Lodge as taking place in Twin Peaks? If so, I would guesstimate roughly a 1/4 to 1/3 of the show is in TP; 1/3 in Vegas and 1/3 in S. Dakota + other locales (Philly, Odessa, NM, Wyoming and D.C.)
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
Kilmoore

Postby Kilmoore » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:47 pm

Jonah wrote:And have any fanedits appeared yet, cutting out most of the scenes set in other locations, and only keeping Twin Peaks scenes and Red Room scenes in the cut? I figured something like this would have appeared by now, given how many people were disappointed in The Return.

I had a plan of doing this, but since the Twin Peaks scenes are just random bits without any plot, it's not worth the effort.
LateReg

Postby LateReg » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:34 pm

eyeboogers wrote:About the timing of that sex scene, I think the biggest clue is the music. "My Prayer" appears twice, during the sex magicks scene and during the Gotta light sequence when the frogmoth takes residence in Sarah. So my best guess is that Linda and Richard open up the portal that allows the woodsman to appear and facilitate the frogmoth business.

Woah. I had never thought of that before. Obviously, I had frequently thought about the use of "My Prayer" and what it may signal thematically and narratively in the present moment, but never that it was playing in order to provide a direct link to the plot taking place in the past. If that's the purpose of their sex, and it's not to further cross over or lure Judy into that world or anything like that, then what is the actual purpose? To allow what exactly to happen and why? (Regarding the portal, the woodsman, the frogmoth, the young girl, etc.) This is a very interesting angle, and I don't often get excited about "figuring it out" when it comes to plot.
Rainwater

Postby Rainwater » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:47 am

Sounds like Cooper's pulling a Jack Parsons there. And that, I think, sounds like something Frost would write.
I don't have his books, but doesn't he explicitly make a Whore of Babylon connection somewhere?
φ
eyeboogers

Postby eyeboogers » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:28 pm

Rainwater wrote:Sounds like Cooper's pulling a Jack Parsons there. And that, I think, sounds like something Frost would write.
I don't have his books, but doesn't he explicitly make a Whore of Babylon connection somewhere?

Yes, definitely you are on the right track. To the point that I am not sure whether or not that (Coop/Richard) is Jack Parsons (since Diane is dressed exactly like Marjorie Cameron).
LateReg

Postby LateReg » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:20 am

eyeboogers wrote:
Rainwater wrote:Sounds like Cooper's pulling a Jack Parsons there. And that, I think, sounds like something Frost would write.

Yes, definitely you are on the right track. To the point that I am not sure whether or not that (Coop/Richard) is Jack Parsons (since Diane is dressed exactly like Marjorie Cameron).

Bumping what I asked above. If the point of "My Prayer" playing is to link Cooper/Diane's sex magick ritual to the plot-specific events of 1956, what exactly are they trying to achieve? By opening the portal that allows the Woodsmen to enter, causing young (Sarah) to fall asleep, causing the frogmoth to enter into her, etc. What is their goal in doing that? What does that do? Why do the Woodsmen need to do that chant that allows the frogmoth to climb into the girl if that is Cooper's intention? I'm genuinely interested in this.
boske

Postby boske » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:05 am

LateReg wrote:Bumping what I asked above. If the point of "My Prayer" playing is to link Cooper/Diane's sex magick ritual to the plot-specific events of 1956, what exactly are they trying to achieve? By opening the portal that allows the Woodsmen to enter, causing young (Sarah) to fall asleep, causing the frogmoth to enter into her, etc. What is their goal in doing that? What does that do? Why do the Woodsmen need to do that chant that allows the frogmoth to climb into the girl if that is Cooper's intention? I'm genuinely interested in this.

At one point earlier this year, I remembered that part and I was asking myself if perhaps, as crazy as it sounds, it was Richard and Linda who are Carrie's parents. It was Cooper and Diane (not Richard and Linda I presume), who took the daytime trip down south, and then Richard and Carrie that took the nocturnal trip back, in the opposite direction.

Anyway, it seemed to me as if Fireman assisted in the incarnation of Carrie in Odessa in order to thwart some sinister plans, and Cooper took his part in getting that to actualise. "What year is this" would then explain why the plan failed, Cooper wanted to face Carrie with Sarah, but landed at a wrong time.

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return”