Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

eyeboogers

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Postby eyeboogers » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:19 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:and “My Romance” making a reappearance when Richard & Linda have sex? I’m not sure how to connect these dots, but there must be something there.

"My Prayer", only correcting since I think the title has some importance in terms of its use in the motel scene :-)
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:30 am

eyeboogers wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:and “My Romance” making a reappearance when Richard & Linda have sex? I’m not sure how to connect these dots, but there must be something there.

"My Prayer", only correcting since I think the title has some importance in terms of its use in the motel scene :-)

Ha thanks! I must have been subconsciously thinking of Rosemary Clooney.
claaa7

Postby claaa7 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:04 am

Part 15 is probably my favorite hour of the entire show. it really packs a punch and includes Everything I love about the World of Twin Peaks in very much the same was as Fire Walk With Me did. the Visual strength is constantly on the same level as in that film (which is also one of my top 10 films of all time), you got warm, lovely characters getting it right (Norma and Ed, set to such a wondeful tune), you got the Surreal, creepy darkness and the otherwordly, you got great Music and sound design, you got emotional depth and pathos (the Death of the Log Lady), suspense, etc.

while The Return isn't masterful film making for its entire 18 hour duration, every single minute of this Part surely is!
krishnanspace

Postby krishnanspace » Wed May 09, 2018 1:01 am

Seems like the inspiration for the Log Lady's final speech
Poiuyt

Postby Poiuyt » Thu May 31, 2018 9:24 am

I re-watched this last night with my girlfriend. Probably my favorite episode. So much happens in this one!

One lingering question: why does Evil Cooper only see an apparition of Jeffries? The Convenience Store people protecting Jeffries maybe? Or Jeffries protecting himself? Really cool how that scene is filmed, by the way.

Also really cool: the disappearance of the Convenience Store. Classic!
Soolsma

Postby Soolsma » Thu May 31, 2018 11:34 am

David Bowie was dying/died during filming.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Poiuyt

Postby Poiuyt » Thu May 31, 2018 12:49 pm

Soolsma wrote:David Bowie was dying/died during filming.

It's more than that. When Evil Cooper meets Jeffries, you can still see the radiator against the wall. It's superimposed over the shot of Jeffries as if to indicate Jeffries is not actually in the same room as Cooper.

If I remember correctly, that superimposed radiator is not present when Good Cooper and Mike visit Jeffries.
Xavi

Postby Xavi » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:19 am

I guess the radiator is a reference to Eraserhead, where Henry Spencer finds peace of mind, and refuge, as he enjoys the company of the MushroomCloud-cheeks Lady. It is not a real world, albeit an imaginary dimension opened up by a different state of mind. Probably also entered at the moment of dying, but I'm not quite sure about that. Remember, Cooper died at 2:53.
Mr. Jackpots

Postby Mr. Jackpots » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:55 am

Xavi wrote:IIt is not a real world, albeit an imaginary dimension opened up by a different state of mind. Probably also entered at the moment of dying, but I'm not quite sure about that. Remember, Cooper died at 2:53.

Cooper Died?
dreamshake

Postby dreamshake » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:22 am

So I am beginning to think the Bosomy Woman may be Mrs. Chalfont/Tremond. It's just a hunch really, that arises from the speculation that the drugged out mother and son are Mrs. Chalfont/Tremond and PIerre. If they can appear in a different form then maybe they appear in other forms? I don't think it's a coincidence that Mr. C encounters the Bosomy Woman after walking though the room from the doorway picture. Furthermore, the shared shooting location with the Dutchman's and the motel where Leland discovers Laura is a prostitute is also of note given how Pierre appears as Leland leaves. The Chalfonts/Tremonds seem to be associated with this place but they do not appear there during this part. Or does one of them?

Return to “Parts Discussion”