DL and Interpol and NFT

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

matto

DL and Interpol and NFT

Post by matto »

When Interpol played this year's Coachella, the band's performance of "Lights", from last year's self-titled effort, was accompanied by a film by David Lynch, titled I Touch a Red Button (watch video of the performance here). Now, Matablog points out that I Touch a Red Button, which is soundtracked by "Lights", is available for viewing online. Watch it below.

http://pitchfork.com/news/43176-watch-i ... vid-lynch/
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: DL and Interpol

Post by Annie »

Thanks matto! This is weird. But I found an easier link here:

http://www.openculture.com/2011/07/davi ... _film.html
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

I don't know why, but I really like it. It such a simple video, not so many different images, and still feels so alive. Good work, David! I just LOVE all those shorts you've made!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

https://instagram.com/stories/sssabrina ... hare_sheet

NTERPO might be in the word Interpol or maybe even Interpolation (hence the TVs).

Are we getting a sequel to the music video in its tenth anniversary year? Is Lynch unveiling a new mixed media art exhibition with television static/distortion as its main medium?

Tune in today to find out!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

David Lynch and Sabrina Sutherland are making an announcement today. Likely not referring to Season 4, but noting it nonetheless. Likely this news is referring to the band Interpol (due to that word being made out on the video posted) and/or something along the lines of an MD screening - but as this is the speculation thread, and as we're not getting any other news lately, I thought it was worth mentioning here too (just in case....).

Edit - the band also posted it (which I just saw) so looking pretty certain it's about something to do with them.

I saw mention of it on @fatecolossal's feed:
https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status ... 9490172932

The comments on that twitter thread are hilarious (and not snarky imo, just in good fun). I particularly liked:

Davids gonna be putting up a shelf or something

He's adding number 11 to the jar

the video tomorrow:"today, I felt like sharing some news.... *long pause as he thinks about what to say* ... the news is, i carved a pumpkin"

Someone else opined:
A Mulholland Drive screening w/ Rebekah Del Rio performance was just announced here, so maybe that as a Lil tour? Don't wanna get my hopes up too high for new stuff
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I know Interpol is working on a new album so it might just be a new video for the first single off that.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

NFT. It's NFT.

$22000 for a digital token on a blockchain declaring you the owner of 1/8th of a music video freely available online.

Edit: that's just the reserve price. Auction starts when someone meets that figure.
Last edited by Histeria on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

lmao. a man's gotta eat.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Metamorphia »

I think she just likes being mysterious and colourful.

This Interpol thing being NFT related hasn't gone down too well...! See replies: https://twitter.com/DAVID_LYNCH/status/ ... 1241744394
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I feel a bit out of the loop on this one. Strangely enough, though, I saw something similar (though unconnected) mentioned recently on a literary blog.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Lynch asking for money is the announcement… big shock…
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

wow, he's participating in a grift. that's disappointing.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

sounds like a grift..
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

In case anyone was considering investing, buying NFTs does not usually grant you ownership of the video itself. You won't get a cut of distribution rights.

You don't actually own anything beyond a token denoting "ownership" of the NFT representing 1/8th of the video (on a particular blockchain), not the actual video itself.

It's like paying someone hundreds of thousands to buy a picture of their house instead of the house itself, except you don't even own the picture as an object and can't shop it to the New York Times picture editor like you would if you held the copyright to the photograph. The only thing you'd own is the right to say "no one else can claim to hold the official token representing this picture of this house on this particular ledger."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Why do people opt to buy these things then (if they do) - what's the appeal?

Also, I don't really follow the whole "blockchain" thing. I understand NFTs are like a digital currency, right? But I'm out of the loop on the rest of it. I googled it quickly but don't feel much more enlightened.