Silencio (Paris Club)

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Silencio (Paris Club)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Has anyone on here been able to visit the club that DKL designed? I was on holiday in Paris last week, so of course I made it a point to drop in. It seems that the club is open only to members at the beginning of the evening (it’s an exclusive artists-only membership), but it then opens to the general public from 11pm to 3am. We dropped in close to 11 on Friday. My significant other and I were coming from dinner, and—too full to finish the cheese course and afraid to be “ugly Americans” and ask for a doggy bag—had covertly tucked the remains of the cheese block into her handbag. It felt appropriately Lynchian to be entering an exclusive Parisian club carrying a concealed piece of cheese (Jerry Horne would no doubt approve). I won’t talk too much about the process of finding the entrance, because it’s part of the fun and I don’t want to spoil the experience, but suffice it to say there isn’t a sign and it’s a pretty moody edifice/block to explore. We had read that the bouncer will routinely refuse entry based solely on his own snap judgment of people, seemingly arbitrarily, but that he tends to favor attractive well-dressed women and interesting-seeming men. I guess myself and/or my partner fit the bill, because after scrutinizing us for several seconds (and soliciting an approving nod from some other guy with a cane sitting behind him), the bouncer waved us through. We did hear the bouncer refuse the people behind us, and when they presumably asked why, he gruffly responded, “Because that’s the way it is.” Sadly, he didn’t search the handbag. It’s worth noting that there is no entry fee — you’re either in, gratis, or you’re not.

Once inside, you go down several flights of stairs underground. The club is dimly lit and has several intimate spaces, each with their own mood and vibe. The room we favored had an arch-shaped ceiling, and the wall/ceiling was made up of gold-painted blocks of wood, protruding at various uneven lengths to create an interesting, textured space. We arrived soon after the club opened to the public for the night, and pretty much had the place to ourselves along with a few others. The room was strewn with dozens of nice coffee table books which appeared to all be books of avant garde art and photography. There was a larger space with a stage where concerts occur for members, but when we were there, a DJ was playing fairly generic chill club music—nothing too interesting or moody. My other favorite space was the smoking room, which was filled with various pieces of wood installed floor-to-ceiling, cut and painted to resemble thin, twisting tree trunks, with ashtrays and chairs attached. The drink selection was not extensive, but solid enough. The bartenders seemed to be very newly hired (they were consulting with one another on fairly basic drink orders), but very pleasant to talk to. Unlike everyone else who worked there, who seemed to be playing up the club’s air of mystery and exclusivity, the bartenders were a refreshingly goofy break, very down to earth.

I did sneak into the movie theater (the entrance to which is a “secret door” in what appears to be a black wall). Nothing was playing—again, I believe the theater only operates during the “members-only” portion of the night—but the lights were up, so I snuck a photo (the one photo I dared take—there is a strict “no pictures” policy throughout the club). I also sat in the theater for a few minutes and soaked the space in. As a cinephile and former movie theater manager, it was a thrill to sit in a theater space designed by my favorite director. I also snagged a single-sheet programme someone had left behind for the evening’s entertainment (apparently a programme curated by author Olivier Steiner, dubbed “Soirée X-plose”), a neat little souvenir.

The place was starting to fill up when we left around midnight and I imagine the vibe becomes more kinetic as the night goes on, so I would definitely recommend getting there early if you want to explore and soak in the space at your leisure.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Silencio (Paris Club)

Post by mtwentz »

Wow! Do they let 13 year olds in? We may have our daughter with us if we go to Paris next year.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:Wow! Do they let 13 year olds in? We may have our daughter with us if we go to Paris next year.
Not sure! Everyone that I saw appeared to be well above 18. I do recall that when I was abroad in London in my early teens, no one deterred me from slipping into pubs with my parents to have lunch, and I got the impression that Europeans are a bit less strict about young-uns being in bars than Americans, as long as they’re accompanied by a guardian. I expect it might be a bit different with an exclusive club, though.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Hmmm... I was curious myself so I looked it up. On this website it says the minimum age is 18. Bars in Europe are indeed usually fine for minors to enter, there just won't be any alcohol served. Night clubs however, are a different story and usually maintain a minimum age of 18. I'm not sure about accompanying.

I'd reach out to them beforehand to be sure.

Nice story reindeer :mrgreen:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Interesting. I haven't read any details on the place (not that I'm likely to be in Paris or that I could get in). Are you able to post your photo of the theater? How big was it in seats and screen size, would you say?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

“Soirée X-plose" :lol: Great souvenir indeed. Nice work sneaking into the cinema too, that would've been pretty special! Neat story Mr R.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:Interesting. I haven't read any details on the place (not that I'm likely to be in Paris or that I could get in). Are you able to post your photo of the theater? How big was it in seats and screen size, would you say?
I’m not great at gauging sizes/distances by eye, but I’d put the screen on the small end, probably not much more than 20 foot wide. It’s a pretty intimate space. The chairs are actually sort of mini-couches that could seat two, maybe three people comfortably on each. There are four rows of those, three “seats” to a row, with little lamp tables in between separating them. So in total the space could seat 24-36 depending how close people wanted to sit.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I’d put the screen on the small end, probably not much more than 20 foot wide. It’s a pretty intimate space. The chairs are actually sort of mini-couches that could seat two, maybe three people comfortably on each. There are four rows of those, three “seats” to a row, with little lamp tables in between separating them. So in total the space could seat 24-36 depending how close people wanted to sit.
Damn, that sounds nice, guess it would pay to be a member if you lived close by!