Does Lynch have spiritual significance?

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

albie
Roadhouse Member

Does Lynch have spiritual significance?

Post by albie »

His films seem to be an indirect route from his beliefs. Have you formed any spiritual beliefs because of the films?
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: Does Lynch have spiritual significance?

Post by AXX°N N. »

In terms of like, actual spiritual texts, I'm honestly more into things that come from the Frost side, like Theosophy, Kabbalah, demonology and alchemy. From the Lynch side I respond more to the sense of quantum instability that seems like a serious motif in his work, the idea of space (as in, the architecture of a room or environment) as an utmost importance, the constant presence of natural decay and psychological relativity. His films for me are experiences that are whole unto themselves and don't necesarrily rely on nor lead to anything exterior; they're intense emotional experiences. They convey a broad range of life, this kind of really true Americana, where there may be pleasure and joy, but there's always this essential terror, or maybe deeper down it's just the unfathamability of existence, and he renders it really accessible and bare where in other things, like the esoteric stuff afforementioned, it comes only in passing. For the more directly spiritual, he introduced me to the Upanishads. But I value him more for introducing me to other art, like Kinholz and Francis Bacon.

Lynch introduced to me the idea of art as a thing you point your life into the direction of, and I've been making art ever since. And I consider myself spiritually centered by art and making art. So in a way, yes.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
albie
Roadhouse Member

Re: Does Lynch have spiritual significance?

Post by albie »

AXX°N N. wrote:In terms of like, actual spiritual texts, I'm honestly more into things that come from the Frost side, like Theosophy, Kabbalah, demonology and alchemy. From the Lynch side I respond more to the sense of quantum instability that seems like a serious motif in his work, the idea of space (as in, the architecture of a room or environment) as an utmost importance, the constant presence of natural decay and psychological relativity. His films for me are experiences that are whole unto themselves and don't necesarrily rely on nor lead to anything exterior; they're intense emotional experiences. They convey a broad range of life, this kind of really true Americana, where there may be pleasure and joy, but there's always this essential terror, or maybe deeper down it's just the unfathamability of existence, and he renders it really accessible and bare where in other things, like the esoteric stuff afforementioned, it comes only in passing. For the more directly spiritual, he introduced me to the Upanishads. But I value him more for introducing me to other art, like Kinholz and Francis Bacon.

Lynch introduced to me the idea of art as a thing you point your life into the direction of, and I've been making art ever since. And I consider myself spiritually centered by art and making art. So in a way, yes.
Nice well thought out answer. I think the core of his ideology is that the world is a mystery and we are still in the process of unravelling it(if we ever can) and we should not be put off by the real world. It is just a facade hiding weirdness. I think that connects with what you said.