Alternate cuts

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Alternate cuts

Post by Christian1989 »

I am curious about alternate cuts of his films, and how possible it is to find them on legal dvds. I own both the censored and the uncensored version of Wild At Heart, and I also have the entire Twin Peaks series, which includes the two different versions of the pilot, and some slight changes in some of the episodes in the second season.

I understand that there is no possibility to ever find the Mulholland Dr. pilot (legally) nor the theatrical version of Eraserhead (which was about 20 mins longer). But I've heard about the 3-hour long version of Dune, and some different cuts of INLAND EMPIRE (though I guess everything is included in the R1 dvd). So do you guys know if I've been missing anything, and could you tell me where I could find these cuts then?
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

The version of "Eraserhead" you were talking about was only shown once, at the very first full screening of the film. After seeing it, Lynch cut a lot of material out, most of which is now lost/destroyed. The version on DVD is the version as released in theaters. Lynch talks about this on the Eraserhead DVD "Stories."

"Dune" exists in a few versions. The latest R1 DVD release has the theatrical cut and the "extended" cut which was made for television. However, the extended cut was not done by Lynch and he removed his name from it.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Yes, I knew about the original theatrical cut of Eraserhead. Thanks for answering :D
Do you guys know which dvd-release(s) of Dune that offers best quality when it comes to picture, sound (DTS for example) and extras? Would have been interesting to see a directors dvd-release of Dune which would have come from David Lynch himself (though it is highly unlikely thinking about the stories behind the different cuts...)
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

I asked David once about whether he would ever go back abd make Dune what he wanted it to be, given any and all resources available, and he answered with an epithet.

He said he compromised Dune from Day One because Dino had final cut and the material necessary to make it his does not exist.

And most of the B roll and unused Eraserhead material is in a land fill in Virginia, where his ex-wife had it hauled many years ago. If it could be found (and he tried), it would be useless and decomposed.

As to the MD pilot, you CAN find it legally - there were 300 VHS tapes made for ABC managers and affiliates. Some have appeared on eBay, etc. I would only caution you (as I have many times before) that if you love the movie, skip the pilot. Many have told me it ruined the film for them, and I agree that it would. ewssentially, it was unfinished and the 88-minute cut was a butcher from the 122-minute initial edit.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Interesting stuff. I'm not for illegal downloading, and more important, I don't want to see a film if David Lynch doesn't want me to see it (the tv-version of Dune for example)...
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

John Neff wrote: and the 88-minute cut was a butcher from the 122-minute initial edit.
so, is this 122 minute initial edit available anywhere? i only ask because i read a review of it and the reviewer talked about some scenes that sounded beautiful. one of them being a young boy with metal leg braces. he said it was stunning. i would really love to see these parts. it is strange that they were never made available as deleted scenes or whatnot.

i saw the 88 minute cut and while i found it kinda forgettable it did not ruin the movie for me. it just kind of felt like a deleted scenes montage.

do you know of the scene i described above john?

- - - - -
mossyrock
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I'm certainly not speaking for John, but to my knowledge no 122 minute cut has been circulating among collectors. Since the article that mentions it - "Creative Differences" by Tad Friend - also says that it was recut (or butchered) pretty soon afterwards, I would guess that few outside the inner circle have seen it.

However, if we can assume that all the scripted scenes were filmed, the leaked 88-minute pilot and the film put together contain nearly everything that was filmed for the series plus the closed ending (which in true Lynch fashion doesn't really reveal much; that reminds me of something...).

Only a few scenes are missing from both: the last scene of the script, a scene or two from Ruth's place, and the boy with the crutches.

I can understand that people have had their experiences ruined. If you don't want to take that chance, do not check the leaked pilot out. For me, it didn't ruin anything. I've seen official deleted scenes montages that have ruined much much more of my experience.

However, I would recommend to the intrepid and curious to read the script. Being more complete, it's much better than the 88-minute cut, AND you get to make up the pictures in your mind. (And you don't have to buy an overpriced VHS on ebay or seek out shady download places.)

Where I definitely agree with John (and David) is in thinking that the film is the finished Mulholland dr., and that the series pilot was merely a step on the way. David's remarks about the future of the series as possibly including a "dark Betty" story isn't that far from the film, all in all. With all the stories about ABC limiting the screen time of dog shit, I doubt the series would have been half the work of art the film is anyway. ABC just weren't ready and they would have put worse hurdles in the way than in 1990-91. Just my opinionated and speculative two cents.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
whatif
Roadhouse Member

Post by whatif »

I've seen the 122 minute cut. A friend of mine used to work for ABC and was able to sneak the tape out for us to watch it one night. It does in fact have the last scene from the script with Betty and Rita screaming out to Hollywood. It also features a scene with Adam Kesher moving into the loft in the end which just so happens to be in a very secret location... right above Betty's apartment.

And proof that the 122 minute version is in fact floating around...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aZkrzNlJVHg

Also, if anything, I appreciate Mulholland Drive as a film EVEN more seeing the Pilot first. The Pilot to be honest didn't do much for me but when made into a film, it opened new doors and it was amazing to see what Lynch pulled off with the little he had to work with.