Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thread

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thr

Post by Ross »

I was just looking at FWWM again and was wondering if some of the music isn't really just Unease Motif/The Woods?

When Cooper is at Wind River, I believe its the forward (non-reverse) version of Unease Motif/The Woods that's heard.

And when Laura visits Harold, it might well be the released (reversed) version?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
DEniZZrus
RR Diner Member

Post by DEniZZrus »

I doubt it. There is the clearly audible motif at Laura and Harold, not from Unease motif.

As for mixes... You know there are so many mixes... unlikely some of them will be released. Of course it would be great! :roll:
For example there is Earle's theme + Earle's motif - quite noticeable mix imho.
I'm not X-files fan but... damn, the truth is really out there!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

DEniZZrus wrote:
I doubt it. There is the clearly audible motif at Laura and Harold, not from Unease motif.
Something very similar then. On the other hand- I'm almost certain the scene with Cooper at Wind River is the forward (non-reverse) version of Unease Motif/The Woods.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
DEniZZrus
RR Diner Member

Post by DEniZZrus »

forward (non-reverse) version of Unease Motif/The Woods
I call it Night life in Twin Peaks (orchestral background version) :wink:
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:I was just looking at FWWM again and was wondering if some of the music isn't really just Unease Motif/The Woods?
Ross wrote:When Cooper is at Wind River, I believe its the forward (non-reverse) version of Unease Motif/The Woods that's heard.
Yes.
Ross wrote:And when Laura visits Harold, it might well be the released (reversed) version?
No.

:D
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:
Ross wrote:I was just looking at FWWM again and was wondering if some of the music isn't really just Unease Motif/The Woods?
Ross wrote:When Cooper is at Wind River, I believe its the forward (non-reverse) version of Unease Motif/The Woods that's heard.
Yes.
Ross wrote:And when Laura visits Harold, it might well be the released (reversed) version?
No.

:D
I knew the Wind River scene for sure because I found the exact spot in the track. Some of the other music (the Harold scene) sounds really similar, and I had thought that maybe they used it as a base and added some elements to it.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote: I knew the Wind River scene for sure because I found the exact spot in the track. Some of the other music (the Harold scene) sounds really similar, and I had thought that maybe they used it as a base and added some elements to it.
Thanks for the ongoing detective work, Ross! :D

Do you have any guesses about the other scenes with orchestral tracks, like Wash Your Hands and It's Not Your Father and the others?
DEniZZrus
RR Diner Member

Post by DEniZZrus »

I took up a little analysis of the FWWM slow speed orchestra tracks and have got some thoughts...

Actually I guess parts of UNEASE MOTIF (reversed or not - hard to say) used at FWWM mix-themes in most cases.

LAURA AND HAROLD - mix:
- Unease Motif
- dark strings solo motif (short and looped)

WASH YOUR HANDS - mix:
- Unease Motif
- orchestral background from Mysteroso (some short parts)

Phillipp Jeffries's Trip / It's Your Father! / Way to the Train Car / - in fact are very similar to each other themes consisting of several elements mixed in different ways:

- short strings solo motif (similar to the dark strings solo motif from Laura and Harold but another)
- synth dissonant chords
- strings tremolo
- parts of Unease Motif (suspect but not sure)
- sound effects

Notes:
- PHILLIP JEFFRIES'S TRIP also contains FWWM main theme in the middle
- WAY TO THE TRAIN CAR also contains Laura Palmer's Theme (synth dissonant version)
- THE MAN BEHIND THE MASK is still hard to determine... looks like some another reversed orchestral theme...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

DEniZZrus wrote:I took up a little analysis of the FWWM slow speed orchestra tracks and have got some thoughts...

Actually I guess parts of UNEASE MOTIF (reversed or not - hard to say) used at FWWM mix-themes in most cases.
Awesome- that is exactly what I was thinking- that they used Unease Motif as a base and then mixed in other elements.

And since these are probably all "mixes" who knows what is actually available to Dean in the Archives.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Ross wrote:
DEniZZrus wrote:I took up a little analysis of the FWWM slow speed orchestra tracks and have got some thoughts...

Awesome- that is exactly what I was thinking- that they used Unease Motif as a base and then mixed in other elements.

And since these are probably all "mixes" who knows what is actually available to Dean in the Archives.
There may be film mixes available (similarly to Mysterioso and Deer Meadow Shuffle). In any case, these dark orchestral themes from FWWM are my No. 1 wish and I'm really bummed they haven't been released prior to the hiatus. :(
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

underthefan wrote:
Ross wrote:

There may be film mixes available (similarly to Mysterioso and Deer Meadow Shuffle). In any case, these dark orchestral themes from FWWM are my No. 1 wish and I'm really bummed they haven't been released prior to the hiatus. :(
The non-reversed Unease Motif was used for the Wind River scene, so if you have have a way to reverse it, you can add it to your FWWM playlist. :D
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

After trying to make a mix from released tracks I found that:

Night Bells in episode 23 - Episode 28: Nadine counters the news of Ed and Norma's engagement with her own offer of marriage to Mike
&
Episode 28: Major Briggs wanders in the woods (half-speed)

are NOT the same released on Season 2 and More CD. Hope we'll get alternate version from TPA.

EDIT: I suspect that CD version is not the same used in series at all (exactly the same way like "Shelly", "Audrey" and "James and Evelyne" versions from CD). I'll check all used fragments tomorrow.
kyuzo
Roadhouse Member

Post by kyuzo »

These tracks are at the top of my wish list:
Clarinet Freestyle (One-Armed Man Theme)
White Lodge Rumble
Philip Jeffries' Theme
Giant's Theme
The Red Room (Standalone Track)
Stair Music/Danger Theme (Full Version)
Train Car/Laura's Death
Wash Your Hands
The black dog runs at night.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:After trying to make a mix from released tracks I found that:

Night Bells in episode 23 - Episode 28: Nadine counters the news of Ed and Norma's engagement with her own offer of marriage to Mike
&

are NOT the same released on Season 2 and More CD. Hope we'll get alternate version from TPA.

EDIT: I suspect that CD version is not the same used in series at all (exactly the same way like "Shelly", "Audrey" and "James and Evelyne" versions from CD). I'll check all used fragments tomorrow.
Q- have you had a chance to listen to any of the other scenes as well? The two Evelyn scenes in episode 18 sound like they may be the same as the released version. Do you think the episode 28 (Nadine) part could just be edited/mixed differently? Perhaps two portions of the track layered on top of each other?
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:After trying to make a mix from released tracks I found that:

&

Q- have you had a chance to listen to any of the other scenes as well? The two Evelyn scenes in episode 18 sound like they may be the same as the released version. Do you think the episode 28 (Nadine) part could just be edited/mixed differently? Perhaps two portions of the track layered on top of each other?
Yes. I listened to all scenes. It's all alternate version of Night Bells. I think they reworked it a little bit for CD (added extra noisy reverb guitar sounds to the second part of the track). In the series the track without it. Listen to ep. 18 track 8.

Nadine's scene is edited/mixed of the series track - that is the mix I started working on - it's "clean" track without this extra guitar noises from CD.

I hope Dean will release this version. I always liked this track in the series, but not so much in CD version. Now I know why. "Clean" version is just better.