Trailer for Villeneuve's Dune to be released today!

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Trailer for Villeneuve's Dune to be released today!

Post by Soolsma »

And when it does we can discuss it here :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Trailer for Villeneuve's Dune to be released today!

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:And when it does we can discuss it here :)
I’m honestly more excited for him to get to some of the later books, which are less perfect in terms of pure storytelling but far more interesting philosophically and in terms of mythology IMO. ‘God Emperor of Dune’ is nigh-unadaptable and I’d be really interested to see how he handles that one in particular.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Looks promising! Aesthetically too, albeit obviously less daring and colorful than Lynch's imagining.
I'll have to dig in those books again. I've read the first two as a teen. My dad pretty much forced me too, as the Dune collection was the jewel of his sci-fi bookcase.

So from what I've gathered there's at least one feature film sequel coming and also a spin-off HBO series, pretty cool! I'm not sure if Villeneuve (or others) would get as far as God Emperor though, as in: a total of 4 feature films. I have some doubts if it would be economically viable. But who knows.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:

Looks promising! Aesthetically too, albeit obviously less daring and colorful than Lynch's imagining.
I'll have to dig in those books again. I've read the first two as a teen. My dad pretty much forced me too, as the Dune collection was the jewel of his sci-fi bookcase.

So from what I've gathered there's at least one feature film sequel coming and also a spin-off HBO series, pretty cool! I'm not sure if Villeneuve (or others) would get as far as God Emperor though, as in: a total of 4 feature films. I have some doubts if it would be economically viable. But who knows.
‘God Emperor’ would take at least five films to get to, actually! My understanding is that this first film is doing what Lynch planned with his original first draft: adapting only the first half of the first book, with the rest of that book in a second film. This leads to a film sort of lacking in action, but with much more potential to establish the characters and mood. It’ll be interesting to see how that plays with a 2020 audience (given that De Laurentiis didn’t even trust 1980s audiences to have that kind of patience).

The trailer looks good. As you said, I sort of miss the colorfulness of Lynch’s take. I don’t know why modern big budget films have to look so washed out (although Villeneuve’s Blade Runner was pretty bright in spots). It actually looks more like Lynch’s version than I was expecting (even down to Paul’s hair!).
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks @Soolsma! I'm so excited for this; are you on a list for Dune updates? It's hard to follow without the Dune Novels forum.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

No I'm not on any list. Every now and then I just google around for upcoming projects that I'm exited about. I was lucky to do so on the day the trailer was inbound.

Heh, so I just now checked the official dune 2020 website to see if there would be any news-feeds. Next to the twitter link, there's a facebook url, which, funny enough, leads to the fb page of the Lynch movie.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Very sad news. Dune has been postponed to October first 2021 (?!?!)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:Very sad news. Dune has been postponed to October first 2021 (?!?!)
Probably smart, though. There are still no movie theaters in NY or (I think?) LA. Based on what happened with Tenet, I think studios are seeing there’s no sense in releasing blockbusters right now, it’s too big a loss to take, sadly.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Yep... all the major companies are reshaping to focus on streaming. Disney, Warner...
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I just went to dunenovels.com and signed up for a newsletter; the forum is gone. FYI.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.