Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Re: L.B.

Post by Kiddo »

jina,

The question was "Who's playing Smithy?"

Nikki answers the question a few seconds later: "Piotrek." Smithy is Susan Blue's husband, but only in the alternate reality of Susan's world. Piotrek does not actually play the role of Smithy in OHBT, the film that his wife Nikki is starring in.
JFK
Roadhouse Member

Post by JFK »

how about: L.B.= lost boy
jina
Roadhouse Member

Post by jina »

kiddo,
thanks, i didn't remember Nikki's answer. :)

JFK, yes could be lost boy.
Nikki's son maybe?
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

applesnoranges wrote:So, if we ask the question, "Who is Smithy?" and we see Smithy's son, we know whose son he seems to be (not the Lucas character who can't procreate children), because there is only one logical answer: his other parent, his mother, Smithy, played by Karolina Gruszka, who returns to her own house and her own family.
In fact we only know the name of the child. Maybe one or two parts of his parents aren`t seen in the scene. But I think that we see his parents. Think that the infertility/lost child-problem is solved here.
Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kiddo »

Ignoring the fact that Smithy is a man's name simply won't do.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

'...The question was "Who's playing Smithy?"

Nikki answers the question a few seconds later: "Piotrek." Smithy is Susan Blue's husband, but only in the alternate reality of Susan's world. Piotrek does not actually play the role of Smithy in OHBT, the film that his wife Nikki is starring in....'

The question is not answered at all, I think.
Notic how this fits in with the other discussion as to whether or not Piotrek plays Smithy?
Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kiddo »

When Nikki "answers" the question, it is obviously not a literal answer. Lynch edited the scenes in such a way as to subtly tell the attentive viewer that Peter Lucas is playing Smithy.
este

Post by este »

I've got an idea (it's a funny one): Lynch-Badalamenti=it's over (L.B. crossed out)
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

I take your point, Kiddo, about the 'answer'. The next scene's first word is 'Piotrek ?'. This may , indeed, be a cutesy-pie answer to the question.
It just may be a literal answer, if hubby actually plays Smithy.
Okay, this is a random thought, for sure, ( not as random as Estes's joke, though :roll: ): perhaps Piotrek is the son of someone involved in the production of 4 7.Pehaps someone who wants closure with to the deah of a parent(s)?
Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kiddo »

The next scene's first word is 'Piotrek ?'.

Yes. Lynch arranged quite a few of the scenes, especially the ones in Nikki's story, in this way. The scenes answer each other, or are responses to each other. For instance, after Kingsley relays the story of the 19 year-old neice asking "Who's playing Smithy?", the next scene begins with Nikki calling out for Piotrek, who has taken Devon upstairs for a talking-to.

Other examples?

After Kingsley tells the story of Vier-Sieben, the next scene cuts to Nikki cheerfully asking "What?" As with the aforementioned "Who's playing Smithy?" sequence, this response is open to interpretation. To me, it illustrates Nikki's willful denial of anything she does not want to hear ("I don't like the things you're saying. I think you should leave."). Others may take it as an illustration of Nikki's genuine confusion about Kingsley's story. Depends how you perceive Nikki's character, I guess. I see her as petty, self-obsessed, and deceitful.

Another good one: immediately after the scene with Doris telling the detective she's "gonna kill somebody," the next scene starts with Susan telling Billy "You've got a wife." Bear in mind that at this point in the story, we don't realize that Julia Ormand is playing Doris Side, Billy's wife.

There are plenty more examples.
Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kiddo »

perhaps Piotrek is the son of someone involved in the production of 4 7.Pehaps someone who wants closure with to the deah of a parent(s)?

I've long suspected that Piotrek orchestrated the whole affair; he wanted Nikki to get the OHBT role and become enmeshed in the curse in order to save Lost Girl from her limbo/purgatory in room 205 at the Old Hotel.

One of the most interesting and underdiscussed points about the film is that Peter Lucas plays major roles in both Dern and Gruszka's stories. None of the other characters overlap in this way. For instance, Dern is not involved in the Polish story in any way, nor is Gruszka involved in Nikki's story (at least not until the end when all of the stories bleed together). Majchrzak also does not appear in Nikki's story, although he and Gruszka do play roles in Susan's story. But even in Susan's world, Gruszka and Majchrzak are ghosts or phantoms.

My point is that Peter Lucas's characters are the link that bridge the worlds of Dern's characters and Gruszka's. It was "the man in the green coat."
jina
Roadhouse Member

Post by jina »

Kiddo wrote:
Other examples?

After Kingsley tells the story of Vier-Sieben, the next scene cuts to Nikki cheerfully asking "What?" As with the aforementioned "Who's playing Smithy?" sequence, this response is open to interpretation. To me, it illustrates Nikki's willful denial of anything she does not want to hear ("I don't like the things you're saying. I think you should leave."). Others may take it as an illustration of Nikki's genuine confusion about Kingsley's story. Depends how you perceive Nikki's character, I guess. I see her as petty, self-obsessed, and deceitful.

Another good one: immediately after the scene with Doris telling the detective she's "gonna kill somebody," the next scene starts with Susan telling Billy "You've got a wife." Bear in mind that at this point in the story, we don't realize that Julia Ormand is playing Doris Side, Billy's wife.

There are plenty more examples.
you're right!
i haven't noticed that 'till you mention it.
about Nikki's character: come on, she's not that bad.
Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kiddo »

about Nikki's character: come on, she's not that bad.

She sure is.
jina
Roadhouse Member

Post by jina »

well, i see her as a kind soul.
like everybody she has some good and some bad sides in her personality, but she is not a bad person.
Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kiddo »

well, i see her as a kind soul.

A kind soul who repeatedly lies to her elderly neighbor?

A kind soul who dismisses this elderly neighbor and tells her to leave after repeatedly lying to her?

A kind soul who shamelessly cheats on her husband the first chance she gets?

If that's your idea of kind, I don't even want to hear about what constitutes a mean person.