Treme

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Post Reply
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Agent Earle »

Stavrogyn wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:44 am
(I also have to admit that I still haven't seen any of David Simon's work, even though many of his projects interest me... But that will change!)
Speaking of, I'm nearing the conclusion of Treme, with just three episodes to go, and I'm already gutted that it's gonna end. Whatta great, great show... I think it's among my top 5 (top 10 for certain). Maybe even better than The Wire.
User avatar
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:22 am
Location: Croatia

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Stavrogyn »

Agent Earle wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:57 am
Stavrogyn wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:44 am
(I also have to admit that I still haven't seen any of David Simon's work, even though many of his projects interest me... But that will change!)
Speaking of, I'm nearing the conclusion of Treme, with just three episodes to go, and I'm already gutted that it's gonna end. Whatta great, great show... I think it's among my top 5 (top 10 for certain). Maybe even better than The Wire.
Oh, wow. I did some reading on Treme just yesterday, and it really perked up my interest. I always found New Orleans fascinating, as well as Louisiana in general and the culture of that area, so that, combined with your praise for the show, makes it a must-see.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know. - Knight of Cups (2015)
User avatar
Jonah
Global Moderator
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:39 am

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Jonah »

I was fascinated by New Orleans too and visited it briefly several years ago, including the Treme area. I bought the first season of the show on DVD but not sure I watched much of it. I thought the cast was great but just never got into it or got around to finishing it. It's one of many many many many things I want to watch and is on the very very very very long list. I also have China Beach coming in the post on DVD and that's yet another one, along with The Leftovers and more, I want to watch. I'm in major writing mode for now so I'm reluctant to get into anything in case it distracts me. The most I allow myself is an episode or two of a sitcom in the evening (primarily WIngs) as it's not something that breaks my flow or makes me get carried away watching. I just watch it to unwind like comfort food.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Agent Earle »

The thing with Treme is, people who are looking for some kind of unified, stupendous storyline will probably wind up being disappointed. The whole thing is constructed as a tapestry of storylines pertaining to a sprawling cast of characters on the canvas of post-Katrina New Orleans. So any kind of big picture that might form can only be seen from a distance, or in retrospect, once you lean back and look at the multitude of interveawing arcs that may or may not (more often not) influence each other. Before that, you'll get to know these people living their daily lives and doing (little and, from time to time, big) things you may or may not like or aprove but that are all, you know, indisputably human. But for that to happen, it's necessary to spend time with it, and finding an entrance is not without effort (especially for those who haven't got a special relationship with music that permeates the show from frame one - there are a number of times throughout its run where the storytelling process stops in order to enjoy a musical number being performed on the street, in a bar, at this or that event or concert etc.). But if you can muster the patience during those early episodes and once you catch a drift of how it all ticks, you'll be hopelessly addicted to the place and the people that populate it - you may not get away from the show with an encyclopedic knowledge of the Big Easy minutae, but you'll be awashed with a sense of it all, of the ways and destinies connected to that wondrous universe. I suspect farewell which is approaching for me as a viewer will not be easy, especially since there's no huge payoffs to be expected: no chatartic events or big words that would shed a divine light on what you've been watching for months (I took the time with the series and allowed myself only one to two episodes a week - this is the show where I'd advise against bingeing method so everything that it has to show you gets enough room to breathe and work its spell on you). If you know your David Simon, then you know it's often not in what it gets said, but in what it doesn't get said, not in what happens, but in what doesn't happen, not in what it's shown, but in what is isn't shown. All you're left with after the conclusion is a bittersweet felling of an intiutive realization about what you've just seen and how crucially important it is. I'm SO glad I found this series...
User avatar
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:22 am
Location: Croatia

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Stavrogyn »

Agent Earle wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:11 am The thing with Treme is, people who are looking for some kind of unified, stupendous storyline will probably wind up being disappointed. The whole thing is constructed as a tapestry of storylines pertaining to a sprawling cast of characters on the canvas of post-Katrina New Orleans. So any kind of big picture that might form can only be seen from a distance, or in retrospect, once you lean back and look at the multitude of interveawing arcs that may or may not (more often not) influence each other. Before that, you'll get to know these people living their daily lives and doing (little and, from time to time, big) things you may or may not like or aprove but that are all, you know, indisputably human. But for that to happen, it's necessary to spend time with it, and finding an entrance is not without effort (especially for those who haven't got a special relationship with music that permeates the show from frame one - there are a number of times throughout its run where the storytelling process stops in order to enjoy a musical number being performed on the street, in a bar, at this or that event or concert etc.). But if you can muster the patience during those early episodes and once you catch a drift of how it all ticks, you'll be hopelessly addicted to the place and the people that populate it - you may not get away from the show with an encyclopedic knowledge of the Big Easy minutae, but you'll be awashed with a sense of it all, of the ways and destinies connected to that wondrous universe. I suspect farewell which is approaching for me as a viewer will not be easy, especially since there's no huge payoffs to be expected: no chatartic events or big words that would shed a divine light on what you've been watching for months (I took the time with the series and allowed myself only one to two episodes a week - this is the show where I'd advise against bingeing method so everything that it has to show you gets enough room to breathe and work its spell on you). If you know your David Simon, then you know it's often not in what it gets said, but in what it doesn't get said, not in what happens, but in what doesn't happen, not in what it's shown, but in what is isn't shown. All you're left with after the conclusion is a bittersweet felling of an intiutive realization about what you've just seen and how crucially important it is. I'm SO glad I found this series...
Sounds exactly like Twin Peaks: The Return :D
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know. - Knight of Cups (2015)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Agent Earle »

It does, doesn't it! Yet my reactions to these two shows could not be more different.
User avatar
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:22 am
Location: Croatia

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Stavrogyn »

Agent Earle wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:34 am It does, doesn't it! Yet my reactions to these two shows could not be more different.
That's why I found it funny, and had to bring it up :)

I mentioned Treme to my best friend, and told him about your praise for it, so he got a copy, and will start watching it soon. (He loves The Wire, so it didn't take much to make him interested.)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know. - Knight of Cups (2015)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Agent Earle »

Stavrogyn wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:24 am
Agent Earle wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:34 am It does, doesn't it! Yet my reactions to these two shows could not be more different.
That's why I found it funny, and had to bring it up :)

I mentioned Treme to my best friend, and told him about your praise for it, so he got a copy, and will start watching it soon. (He loves The Wire, so it didn't take much to make him interested.)
I'm glad! This show seriously needs more attention. Do let me know how your friend finds it, and you of course, once you get around to it. And if you two like The Wire, you'd do well to check out Simon's The Deuce as well, of which I've already spoken on the 10 best television series thread. Only three short seasons of perfection!

P.S.: Once I'm finished with Treme, my next long-term viewing project will probably be The Leftovers. I've heard only intriguing things about it, so I'm eager to finally check it out. And I'm currently in the middle of the first season of Mindhunter - words cannot express how much I like it! I'm hoping like mad Netflix will show sense and renew the series for the third season; It'll be one of the biggest blunders in entertainment industry in history if it doesn't happen (right up there with the cancellation of TP and Deadwood).
User avatar
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:22 am
Location: Croatia

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Stavrogyn »

Agent Earle wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:57 am
Stavrogyn wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:24 am
Agent Earle wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:34 am It does, doesn't it! Yet my reactions to these two shows could not be more different.
That's why I found it funny, and had to bring it up :)

I mentioned Treme to my best friend, and told him about your praise for it, so he got a copy, and will start watching it soon. (He loves The Wire, so it didn't take much to make him interested.)
I'm glad! This show seriously needs more attention. Do let me know how your friend finds it, and you of course, once you get around to it. And if you two like The Wire, you'd do well to check out Simon's The Deuce as well, of which I've already spoken on the 10 best television series thread. Only three short seasons of perfection!

P.S.: Once I'm finished with Treme, my next long-term viewing project will probably be The Leftovers. I've heard only intriguing things about it, so I'm eager to finally check it out. And I'm currently in the middle of the first season of Mindhunter - words cannot express how much I like it! I'm hoping like mad Netflix will show sense and renew the series for the third season; It'll be one of the biggest blunders in entertainment industry in history if it doesn't happen (right up there with the cancellation of TP and Deadwood).
That same friend of mine recently watched The Leftovers, and liked it very much! I also got the impression that Twin Peaks fans usually like it. (It's on my must-see list too.)

I'm interested in all the series you mentioned, especially Mindhunter, because I love Fincher. But I'm slow regarding TV, because I mostly watch films, and I'm in a major Star Trek mood right now, together with my girlfriend, so I'm currently split between these two.

P.S. I just remembered that I never answered your question about Novine; no, I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's good. (It's probably quite dark, which the content from this region often tends to be, but that's probably a plus.)

There is so much great TV out there that it's almost overwhelming!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know. - Knight of Cups (2015)
User avatar
Jonah
Global Moderator
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:39 am

Re: Treme

Post by Jonah »

As a major Lost fan (second only to Twin Peaks), The Leftovers is another one on my long, long list of things I never get around to watching.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Agent Earle »

Stavrogyn wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:50 am

I'm interested in all the series you mentioned, especially Mindhunter, because I love Fincher. But I'm slow regarding TV, because I mostly watch films, and I'm in a major Star Trek mood right now, together with my girlfriend, so I'm currently split between these two.

P.S. I just remembered that I never answered your question about Novine; no, I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's good. (It's probably quite dark, which the content from this region often tends to be, but that's probably a plus.)

There is so much great TV out there that it's almost overwhelming!
You won't be sorry if you try Mindhunter - that show's worth should be measured in gold! First-class writing, production values, acting, and especially psychology that fuels it. Like I said, I'm holding my breath that it should get renewed for further seasons. Fincher mentioned he had an outline ready for five seasons, which sounds like heaven.

Yeah, I heard Novine is supposed to be very dark, which counts as a recommendation in my book. I will definitely check it out, me being from the region and all.

I agree, too much choice and quality - which is the case with modernday TV - can be a curse as well, not only a blessing. Though I'm certainly glad I'm living in the period in which I get to experience so much excellent content!
User avatar
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:22 am
Location: Croatia

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Stavrogyn »

Agent Earle wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:15 pm I agree, too much choice and quality - which is the case with modernday TV - can be a curse as well, not only a blessing. Though I'm certainly glad I'm living in the period in which I get to experience so much excellent content!
Yes, that is great, and I hope there will be even more and more great films and TV as time goes by! But it really does make it difficult for me. I sometimes yearn for my high school days, when I mostly read books, and when I was able to just focus on that. But now I'm interested in so many things that sometimes I have to step back and consciously stop myself from obsessing about what I should watch or read. And some things are so long! For example, now I'm watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and I know that it will take me at least six months to complete it even with regular binge-watching.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know. - Knight of Cups (2015)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: General Discussion on Twin Peaks Characters

Post by Agent Earle »

Stavrogyn wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:23 am
Agent Earle wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:15 pm I agree, too much choice and quality - which is the case with modernday TV - can be a curse as well, not only a blessing. Though I'm certainly glad I'm living in the period in which I get to experience so much excellent content!
Yes, that is great, and I hope there will be even more and more great films and TV as time goes by! But it really does make it difficult for me. I sometimes yearn for my high school days, when I mostly read books, and when I was able to just focus on that. But now I'm interested in so many things that sometimes I have to step back and consciously stop myself from obsessing about what I should watch or read. And some things are so long! For example, now I'm watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and I know that it will take me at least six months to complete it even with regular binge-watching.
Like I explained on this forum a couple of times, I try to stay away from binging, as I think it takes away something that is inherent to the format of serial (that is television) storytelling - living with the story and characters for a longish period of time raises the stakes for the final outcome and strengthens the overall impact of the series for me. But I can't take that philosophy to the extreme - that would mean emulating the original airing rhythm of one episode per week and one season per year - because that would simply take too much time, and time is of crucial importance, since there's so much content I'd like to get through (with more coming even as we type) and even re-watch (I currently have about 5 multiseasonal shows that I've seen in the last 5-6 years that I'd watch again in a heartbeat!). When I get into a series, I'll ideally limit myself to 2-3 episodes per week, and I usually watch 2 series simultaneously, with some time reserved for side viewing in the form of various mini-series and such (plus movies, of course).

Since you mention Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, I don't see myself ever checking it out, as sci-fi is really not my cup of tea: I know nothing of the Star Trek universe (apart from knowing of its existence) and very little of the Star Wars one (I've only seen the original movie trilogy a couple of decades ago and though it was just average). There is one exception to this rule, though, and that is a series caled Babylon 5 - I've been hearing how great it is, and how excellently contructed it is etc., and something about it just draws me to the material, so I'll probably give it a whirl some day. Since you do quite a bit of sci-fi watching, you've probably seen it?
Post Reply