Watch Online?

Discussion of On the Air

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Watch Online?

Post by Jonah »

Does anyone know if this is available to watch anywhere online? I know all 7 episodes were on Youtube at one point, but they've since been taken down. I'm not looking for torrents or links to buy on DVD/VHS. Just wondering if there's anywhere online to watch it. Even just the first episode. Thanks.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Watch Online?

Post by dugpa »

I wish. This one fell off the radar with CBS and doesn’t look like it will come back anytime soon.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

They shouldn't have taken them down off Youtube (if that's what happened) if they weren't planning to release a DVD set. I really just want to watch the first episode again, but shame I didn't watch them all when they were up there. Hotel Room is still there.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

got one ggl drv link if it's alright to post here
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

mtl wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:20 am got one ggl drv link if it's alright to post here
That's Dugpa's call, but if not maybe you could PM it to me? Thanks.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

it's out THERE
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

mtl wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:20 am got one ggl drv link if it's alright to post here
Go for it.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

dugpa wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:54 pm
Go for it.
ere ya goo https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... igK1SwFw1Q
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

so what do you think of it?
I think it's mega.
all 7 episodes are great- 1 and 7 out of this world.
last episode more fucked up than The Return
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Haven't gotten to it yet alas! It's on my incredibly long To Watch list, hopefully the videos will remain accessible for a long while yet?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I watched the first episode. I think I had seen it before but had forgotten it. The same red curtains from the red room appear and are lit almost identically. I wonder if these are the actual curtains left over from the series/used for FWWM (as it was filmed around this time).

Does anyone know how this series came about? Was it contracted during the run of Twin Peaks or after? I know it aired a year later but was it signed up after or during TP? Must have been a bittersweet experience for Frost/Lynch to write and film this, knowing ABC had already cancelled TP. Then even moreso when this was cancelled. From ABC's point of view, it seems weird to me they would take a chance on this, then only air three of the episodes, in the 1992 season, rather than just putting on a third season of TP at the time.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:17 am

Does anyone know how this series came about? Was it contracted during the run of Twin Peaks or after? I know it aired a year later but was it signed up after or during TP? Must have been a bittersweet experience for Frost/Lynch to write and film this, knowing ABC had already cancelled TP. Then even moreso when this was cancelled. From ABC's point of view, it seems weird to me they would take a chance on this, then only air three of the episodes, in the 1992 season, rather than just putting on a third season of TP at the time.
In the Bushman interview book, Mark says L/F had signed a three-series commitment to ABC when they sold TP, hence American Chronicles and On the Air. I believe the OtA pilot was shot during TP S2 (I think I read that somewhere, and it’s copyrighted to TP Productions), but the rest was after. Mark says in the Bushman book that he didn’t have much to do with the series after the pilot (he says he wrote one other episode, although Bushman corrects him: he actually wrote two), and says he thinks Bob Engels was the show runner.

I imagine since ABC had already contracted for the show, they figured they’d burn it off in a summer Saturday slot, and then completely gave up on it after three weeks. The last aired episode was even on July 4! It’s hard to think of a night less Americans would be watching TV than Saturday, July 4.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thanks for the interesting information. I did notice the TP Productions in the credits. I'm convinced they used the same red curtains as the red room in the On the Air pilot. They're even lit the exact same way. So I figured they were around the time FWWM was filmed. Not sure how that fits in with Season 2 being filmed, but I still think it's them. I wonder if it was filmed close to E29? I know red curtains figure in a lot of Lynch's work and they're fairly widespread in availability, but if you look at the ones behind the group of men in the OtA episode, it looks exactly like them, even down to the very specific lighting used in the original version of the red room back in the day.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:10 am Thanks for the interesting information. I did notice the TP Productions in the credits. I'm convinced they used the same red curtains as the red room in the On the Air pilot. They're even lit the exact same way. So I figured they were around the time FWWM was filmed. Not sure how that fits in with Season 2 being filmed, but I still think it's them. I wonder if it was filmed close to E29? I know red curtains figure in a lot of Lynch's work and they're fairly widespread in availability, but if you look at the ones behind the group of men in the OtA episode, it looks exactly like them, even down to the very specific lighting used in the original version of the red room back in the day.
It’s certainly possible. I’m sure they were still around at that point. BTW, did you catch Lynch as the voice of Mr. Zoblotnick on the phone at the end?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yep! I was pretty sure it was him. Rewound it to listen to it again. I'd know Gordon Cole anywhere lol. I have to say I didn't love the pilot, though, and I remember feeling that way before when I watched it (or some of it). I actually thought the movie Radioland Murders I posted about was better than this. It just didn't work for me. And I wanted to like it. I did enjoy some of the shots - the blinking lights on the telephones, the audience at home, but I couldn't really connect with it beyond that. I had rememebred Lester Guy being in it more too. It just felt very inconsequential and mostly unfunny, not the fantastic farce it's billed as. Some charm, certainly, but even though it's only 25 minutes I kept checking the timer to see when it would be over. I think I had a similar reaction last time.

I've read this is the best episode. Reviews say 2 is okay and 7 sounds interesting, but 1 is the best. Are the others worth watching if I wasn't crazy about this one? At least this one had some Lynchian touches because he directed it, but the others don't, and apparently he only co-scripted 7 and that's it for his involvement. I might try Hotel Room instead.