Episode 7

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Sam Howzit
Roadhouse Member

Re: Episode 7

Post by Sam Howzit »

Jasper wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:For those who don’t know, that was someone’s home, and much of the furnishings (antler chandelier, wall tank) were actually part of the location, and remained there as recently as 2015! See https://www.twinpeaksblog.com/2018/07/0 ... yed-jacks/ for some wonderful photos. I’d love to own that place.
Thanks for posting this. The house is amazing. The painting above the stairway is similar to, but not the same as the one from the show, contrary to the observations of the author. The same poker table is there by the window next to the pool table. The same ornate metal cash register sits at the bar. The same drugstore style "wooden Indian" statue is at the top of the little staircase to the right of the very strange fish tank type thing. It's so fun to look for all of the various little elements. I hope all of those things are still there.
Thank you Jasper. I have updated the article. I wrote it so long ago before I refined some of my searching and reporting techniques.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

AXX°N N. wrote: I remember thinking the same thing. So much of the Mill subplot is a gordian knot without a sword that ever falls. Perhaps the agent approaching her was a ploy to get her in the right place at the right time, which it did, was the only thing I could think of to make sense of it. But that doesn't have the benefit of any on-screen affirmation.
That makes the most sense; good thought. It has the benefit of giving Ben/Josie the same goal as the writers (to get Catherine where she needs to be), so they maintain their intelligence. I do love the Catherine/Neff dynamic in that E6 scene, and it would be sad if he was being duplicitous...but it would certainly fit with his name reference!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Sam Howzit wrote:Thank you Jasper. I have updated the article. I wrote it so long ago before I refined some of my searching and reporting techniques.
Thanks for the great article, Sam. I'm glad to have been of any help at all.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

We get a glimpse of Cooper’s room key in this episode (possibly the only time in the original series?). Unsurprisingly, it doesn’t quite match the one in TR (which is one my less favorite props due to the on-the-nose/meta Cooper quotation printed on it).
Attachments
D392B5E7-8E1B-4FEC-BEF2-5C4DB20270E9.jpeg
D392B5E7-8E1B-4FEC-BEF2-5C4DB20270E9.jpeg (300.69 KiB) Viewed 14501 times
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Nice catch! The quote is so absurd. I'm a fan of the theory that it underwent subjective transformation. It went into, and then out of the lodge, and the door it later unlocks was for sure not the keyhole intended in basic reality. A valid way as any to account for what might merely be prop oversight, like with the strangeness of Annie's dress.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Nice catch with the room key!

I just realized that Cooper's room number (315) corresponds with the two giant wall sockets in the Mauve Room in S3 Part 3 ("15" first, and then "3"). That's a neat level of detail on the part of Lynch/Frost. I love how this show rewards repeat viewings.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

The most action packed episode yet. Only a few things to note on this viewing:

'There's gotta be a way to turn it off' - I've always hated this (presumably looped) line from James as he's still saying it as he turns the music off.

Poor Nadine. Wendy Robie's done such a great job this season to take this outwardly quirky character and give a glimpse of the vulnerability and sadness beneath. As much as we might want Ed and Norma to be together, Nadine really doesn't deserve the hurt.

Hank, on the other hand, deserves all he gets. And he gets to many places this episode - Blue Pine Lodge, the diner, the Johnson's place. Perhaps he has his own doppelganger to help him keep up with his many activities?

I wonder if the Midge Jones in Pete's yearbook later became Midge Loomer, the vet's receptionist?

Quick cutaway of Cooper and Truman running into the station in the rain yet they're completely dry once inside. James and Leland are also dry when they arrive and no sign of rain through the station door.

Feet are visible outside Cooper's door from the moment the phone rings so his assassin must be building up the courage to knock. 'Who Shot Cooper?' clearly meant to be the next 'Who Killed Laura Palmer?' although it actually ends up being one of the least memorable events in the series - by the time Cooper gets out of the hospital bed next episode most viewers have likely forgotten how he got there.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Henrys Hair wrote:
'There's gotta be a way to turn it off' - I've always hated this (presumably looped) line from James as he's still saying it as he turns the music off.
I actually kind of like it. Like when you’re saying something that you negate midway through and just feel the need to finish your thought in progress so the other person knows what you were going to say. I feel like I’ve done this.
Poor Nadine. Wendy Robie's done such a great job this season to take this outwardly quirky character and give a glimpse of the vulnerability and sadness beneath. As much as we might want Ed and Norma to be together, Nadine really doesn't deserve the hurt.
She’s great. It’s such a shame what they did to her character in season 2.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks Out of Order #12: Episode 7

Post by Jonah »

Henrys Hair wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:11 pm 'Who Shot Cooper?' clearly meant to be the next 'Who Killed Laura Palmer?' although it actually ends up being one of the least memorable events in the series - by the time Cooper gets out of the hospital bed next episode most viewers have likely forgotten how he got there.
I wonder why this never became a bigger pop culture moment?

I know they didn't build on it much in Season 2, as you said by the time he gets out of the hospital bed it's rarely mentioned, then they waited 23 episodes to reveal the shooter. But even before this, was this a big thing that summer of 1990? I don't think so.

Were people mainly tuning in for the Laura Palmer mystery and the quirkiness and not willing to invest in another mystery? Was it assumed whoever shot him also killed Laura so it was just part of that larger mystery? Was it buried under the avalanche of other cliffhangers? Did it already feel like it had been "done before" due to "Dallas"? All of the above?

Still, I'm surprised it didn't become a bit bigger. Even though "Dallas" had done it before, it still become a bit of a pop cultural phenomenon when "The Simpsons" did it years later, though part of that could have been due to the resolution. Maybe the resolution here was just too limp in the end. Anyway, as a cliffhanger to whet people's appetites for the long summer of 1990 wait, I'm not sure it was very successful but other than reveal the killer what else could they have done? Maybe had another murder instead?
LostInTheMovies wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:19 pm Frost remains - and will remain even after the new series - the only person to write and direct an entire Twin Peaks episode by himself.
If Unrecorded Night/Wisteria turns out to be more Twin Peaks, and if it's written and directed solely by Lynch, this will no longer be the case.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Jonah wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:10 am
Henrys Hair wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:11 pm 'Who Shot Cooper?' clearly meant to be the next 'Who Killed Laura Palmer?' although it actually ends up being one of the least memorable events in the series - by the time Cooper gets out of the hospital bed next episode most viewers have likely forgotten how he got there.
I wonder why this never became a bigger pop culture moment?

I know they didn't build on it much in Season 2, as you said by the time he gets out of the hospital bed it's rarely mentioned, then they waited 23 episodes to reveal the shooter. But even before this, was this a big thing that summer of 1990? I don't think so.

Were people mainly tuning in for the Laura Palmer mystery and the quirkiness and not willing to invest in another mystery? Was it assumed whoever shot him also killed Laura so it was just part of that larger mystery? Was it buried under the avalanche of other cliffhangers? Did it already feel like it had been "done before" due to "Dallas"? All of the above?

Still, I'm surprised it didn't become a bit bigger. Even though "Dallas" had done it before, it still become a bit of a pop cultural phenomenon when "The Simpsons" did it years later, though part of that could have been due to the resolution. Maybe the resolution here was just too limp in the end. Anyway, as a cliffhanger to whet people's appetites for the long summer of 1990 wait, I'm not sure it was very successful but other than reveal the killer what else could they have done? Maybe had another murder instead?
I definitely don't remember it being a big thing in the UK - but then I think there was much shorter break between season 1 & 2 over here (about a month, with christmas falling in-between?) so that may well have dulled its impact a bit. Possibly the sheer number of cliff-hangers in that last episode diluted the potential Who-Shot-Cooper angle as we were already wondering what was going to happen to Nadine, Catherine, Pete, Shelley, Leo etc. Ultimately, I think viewers were still waiting to see who killed Laura. Would Cooper getting shot have worked better as a finale to the episode where Leland confesses? Hard to say, although it might have given non-hardcore viewers more of a reason to tune in the next week (and could also have provided something of a focus to the post-reveal episodes where the focus drifts).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Henrys Hair wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:18 pm IWould Cooper getting shot have worked better as a finale to the episode where Leland confesses? Hard to say, although it might have given non-hardcore viewers more of a reason to tune in the next week (and could also have provided something of a focus to the post-reveal episodes where the focus drifts).
That's a good idea. Putting it at the end of Episode 16 would have tied in nicely with the Earle plot beginning to arrive and maybe the focus could have been on that instead of the slump episodes. I've said it elsewhere on this board - but I'll never understand why they set up the whole Bob could take another host angle at the end of that episode, then never followed through on it (until E29). That could have been a suspenseful and fun new mystery along with the Earle thing - so they had those two storylines to dive right into but instead they went with a load of random, meh, and downright ridiculous stuff for five or six episodes.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

it was a sorta-big thing in summer 1990. but then casual viewers, people like my father assumed the shooter was whoever killed Laura, and thought when Laura resolved, there was our answer.

I had to explain, but Albert said it was a walther PPK etc, and Leland was over at the hospital strangling Jaques at roughly the same time, but a lot of casual viewers didn't put this much thought..

soaps in general tended to shed and lose viewers pre streaming when they had multi story threads, if you missed an episode or two, there wasn't much way to catch up, people would just lose interest and move on.

even a far less intellectually challenging series like melrose place had setup so many parallel and concurrent story threads, i think it got too convoluted for pre streaming audiences to keep track.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The show definitely mishandled the reveal in Season 2. By the time it came, at the end of Episode 23 (and the weakest stretch of episodes in the famous slump), I think most people had probably forgotten about it.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

it's amazing Eastenders and Coronation Street are able to maintain huge audiences in the UK for eons.

a lot of american prime time soaps seemed to have a sweet spot where people were glued, and people just couldn't keep up after awhile.
Peyton Place, Dynasty, Dallas, Melrose...