Episode 27

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Episode 27

Post by JackwithOneEye »

even with the red curtain visible in the oil ? the ep 29 script seems to clearly suggest the lodge isnt the red room dimension. ive never looked at an ep 27 script.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I just looked at the ep 27 script - Josie screaming is in there, and yeah, it has Bob and the hand. no mention of red curtains though
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:49 am even with the red curtain visible in the oil ? the ep 29 script seems to clearly suggest the lodge isnt the red room dimension. ive never looked at an ep 27 script.
I have wondered if the red curtains were added later in post by Lynch. It is sure a mystery. However, I will note that the Red Room does appear in the E29 script as one small component of the Black Lodge. It’s just got a lot of other stuff going on as well, which Lynch got rid of.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:46 am
JackwithOneEye wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:43 am I have no way of proving it, but I always thought the end bit with Bob's hand coming out of the lodge illuminated by the spotlight was directed by Lynch when they did the location work at the glastonbury grove for ep 29, and then they tacked it on to the end of ep 27. there's something about the choreography with the spotlight that screams DKL to me.
I don’t think so, because it’s the payoff to the episode-long “shaking hand” motif that Gyllenhaal created. It seems like he definitely was building to that shot of Bob.
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:55 am
JackwithOneEye wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:49 am even with the red curtain visible in the oil ? the ep 29 script seems to clearly suggest the lodge isnt the red room dimension. ive never looked at an ep 27 script.
I have wondered if the red curtains were added later in post by Lynch. It is sure a mystery. However, I will note that the Red Room does appear in the E29 script as one small component of the Black Lodge. It’s just got a lot of other stuff going on as well, which Lynch got rid of.
Definitely a mystery. I too wondered if Lynch secretly shot those final moments - even the glimpses of the empty town feel like him. I also wondered if he added just the red curtains in post, or if they were already there as the red room was one scene in E29 and meant to give audiences a callback to E2, even if the original script for E29 also explored a ghostly Great Northern. Somone asked the director (Gyllenhaal) and I believe he couldn't remember. It's earlier in one of the threads - either Lost or Brad interviewed him, I think. Though we may never know for sure, my gut feeling is some of the ending was changed to sync up to E29, but how involved Lynch was I'm not sure. Could be hands on or just his suggestion like he suggested Josie in the drawer pull at the end of E23.

All of this is also discussed a lot in its own thread here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=638 (for those who might not be aware of the other thread)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.