To the Profoundly Disappointed: Are You Still Disappointed?

Moderators: Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross

To the Profoundly Disappointed: Are You Still Disappointed?

Still profoundly disappointed - my feelings have not changed.
36%
More disappointed.
27%
No longer profoundly disappointed but still disappointed.
No votes
No longer disappointed at all but still have mixed feelings about The Return.
No votes
My feelings have softened but not sure what I think of it.
9%
I need to rewatch before I vote.
9%
I need to rewatch it before I vote here, but I think I'm still going to be very disappointed.
No votes
I need to rewatch it before I vote here, but I think I'm still going to be somewhat but less disappointed.
No votes
I'm neutral.
No votes
I now like The Return, but still have some mixed feelings.
18%
I now love The Return completely.
No votes
Other - explain in comments.
No votes

Total votes: 11
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: To the Profoundly Disappointed: Are You Still Disappointed?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

the only hard documentation I see is the 389 pages in copyright database.

I feel like whatever people say in interviews is faulty memory mixed with exaggeration, when Peter Deming said 550 pages to Roger Deakins on the podacast, I think he was trying to express it was big and thick, and he wasnt under oath, so he chose 550.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I was in the "profoundly disappointed" camp for most of the start of the show. I got into the groove for a while but turned out still pretty disappointed. I chose number 5 but could easily say 6 or 7. Even though I rewatched most of the parts during the run two or more times, I haven't done a full rewatch or watched a part in full since 9/2017. I own the BD but literally haven't gotten to rewatching it.

My feelings towards it have definitely softened, but for every scene I like and go back to sometimes to watch, I could probably name 1-2 other scenes or elements that did not work for me. I haven't been thinking about it too much over the past year, but for a while my feelings on its themes and intent had coalesced to considering it very unique. However, often when I think about its absurdist nature, I wonder if what is on screen is the optimal way things could have turned out. The digital cinematography is something I feel was a mistake, and that hasn't changed. It should have been shot on film or with a camcorder "Inland" style, anything to soften and warm up the image.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

[double post plz delete]
Last edited by sylvia_north on Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Haven’t rewatched, nor have my three other die-hard since the beginning fan friends that aren’t on the board. We consider it, then agree it’s a definite nah. It’s just not compelling. The mystery isn’t compelling. I only watched Inland Empire a handful of times including twice in the theater, and dutifully engaged with the theorizing, coming to some interesting conclusions but Return feels all superficial to me, style (and I’m being generous as so much of it looked awful) without substance, although I liked seeing Sarah and Laura again and I’m satisfied with their story arcs.

So much of Return is straight up annoying it would just make me angry to even have on in the background.
I wasn’t able to find Q2’s five part fan edit. If anyone would like to hook me up, please inbox. I’m curious about seeing just the Dougie Vegas subplot as it’s own thing. I’d even pay for a disc or thumb rip. Q2’s All Killer No Filler has been the only way I’ll watch s1&2 for years. It might change my opinion to see a competent editor’s reworking.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03