The Random Season 3 Thread

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: The Random Season 3 Thread

Post by Jonah »

N. Needleman wrote:And I think there's something to be said for a possible Season 4 being a bold attempt at 'classicism' - maybe going back to a more conventional episodic TV format of A, B and C-plots a la the '90s than the rambling wormhole of Season 3's structure. But the truth is I wouldn't mind more of the same either.
Just been reading through this thread and some other older threads I've missed in my absence. Had to stop when I saw this comment. " Season 4 being a bold attempt at 'classicism' - maybe going back to a more conventional episodic TV format of A, B and C-plots a la the '90s than the rambling wormhole of Season 3's structure" - Wow, I would love this!! But I don't see this happening if Lynch is directing every single episode again. If he's only directing a few and Frost and others are also taking charge, then maybe. But I would love a "return to roots" for Season 4. But if it's going to be more Lynchian like The Return/Inland Empire, etc., I'll be okay with that too. I wasn't crazy about The Return, I'm on record saying I wanted the original series, but I made the best of it rather than overly criticizing it.

Personally, I'd love to see Lynch/Frost launch a more traditional TP show for Showtime with a Season 4, now that they've gotten The Return out of their system, and write/direct a few episodes, oversee the whole thing as showrunners/executive producers, but also bring in a small team of carefully hand-picked writers and directors to work on it with them and film and release as they go, rather than filming then editing the entire season before we see it. I think that way we'd see it quicker too. But I seriously doubt anything like this will ever happen again. I think they'd be too wary to turn it over to others or try to follow a more traditional (even Showtime/cable) format.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Nah. It's Lynch and Frost now for good and I'm fine with that tbh. I was very happy with S3.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

N. Needleman wrote:Nah. It's Lynch and Frost now for good and I'm fine with that tbh. I was very happy with S3.
Yeah, I think so too. But is there any reason they couldn't film and release as they go like a more traditional TV show - the original series, a Showtime or cable show. Maybe not film and release directly per episode, but I mean the normal schedule of a TV show. Is there some reason it would all have to be filmed in one big chunk of time like the 18-episode The Return, then edited all at once? I mean, couldn't they script some or most of the episodes, hire the cast, build the sets, and maybe even hire some writing assistants or whatever production goes into a more traditional TV show. I think that way we might see content sooner than them having to film it all and edit it all in one go. I understand why that might have needed to be the case for The Return, but let's say Showtime agreed to sign them up for a Season 4 - and even a possible Season 5 - is there any reason it couldn't follow a more traditional production schedule like Showtime's other shows? Unless of course Lynch and Frost insist on the other way for creative reasons, which I understand. But a more typical schedule might be easier on them too as by all accounts, the production schedule of The Return was hectic and stressful on them.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.