Episode 5 Character Parentage Poll (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Richard Horne is the biological son of :

Audrey Horne
61%
Ben Horne
10%
Jerry Horne
22%
Johnny Horne
6%
Other or 'He's adopted'
2%

Total votes: 109
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: Episode 5 Character Parentage Poll (Spoilers)

Post by Audrey Horne »

Yeah, and doubtful Lynch would kill off Jack Nance and put him out of a job. That's how cliffhangers worked.

If Audrey or Pete we're going to die on the show, they would get some closing episode scene with sad music. The bank was just so you'd tune in next September. The writers didn't even know at the time how they'd explain it yet.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
BMS242
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Episode 5 Character Parentage Poll (Spoilers)

Post by BMS242 »

N. Needleman wrote:She was never, ever intended to die in that blast. Not in '91, not today.
I stand corrected on that then. Taking at face value what's in the episode, the idea of anyone surviving is somewhat absurd to me. Would have been amusing to watch that get explained if Season 3 were picked up back then. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Audrey Horne wrote:Yeah, and doubtful Lynch would kill off Jack Nance and put him out of a job. That's how cliffhangers worked.

If Audrey or Pete we're going to die on the show, they would get some closing episode scene with sad music. The bank was just so you'd tune in next September. The writers didn't even know at the time how they'd explain it yet.
Yeah, it'd be the classic kind of cliffhanger resolution where time dilates. We see the bomb flare up, Pete and Andrew run around in comedy panic as it burns, find a way to get Audrey uncuffed, run out of the bank, throw themselves on the ground... THEN the bank explodes! That would be followed by five or six episodes of the evil Coop running around while the good Coop is Lodgebound (or popping up in random places, a la Josie) his face appearing on the blackboard after a meeting between evil Coop and the sheriff's team and so on.

Cliffhangers are there to bring you back next time and I never, ever, in all my years treated episode 29 as anything more than an end-of-season cliffhanger episode.

As for Audrey and evil Coop, it doesn't matter about whether Lynch read TSHOTP. Lynch and Frost co-wrote the serial, so TSHOTP will tie into the show unless Lynch specifically contradicts the script.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

My money is on Jerry all the way. Not only does he look like a young version of DPK, there is an opposite theme in play with Jerry involved in a legit drug laced business, whilst his son is involved in an illegal one.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Mairzy wrote:My money is on Jerry all the way. Not only does he look like a young version of DPK, there is an opposite theme in play with Jerry involved in a legit drug laced business, whilst his son is involved in an illegal one.
Thank you
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Richard Horne does not dress or act like a Horne. He acts like someone trying to rise in the drug trade -- but shouldn't he be a rich kid?

This suggests to me that he must somehow not have been welcomed in to the Horne family proper. What would the reasons for this be?

Well, if Ben or Jerry were embarrassed by him for some reason.

It's hard for me to imagine that Audrey wouldn't have wanted her child to be part of the family.

For some reason I suspect that Richard lives at the new Fat Trout trailer park, and this is how he knows Linda.

Linda appears to be a war veteran crippled from war. Many of us thought Audrey would be maimed in some way from the bank explosion. I want to make connections here but it doesn't seem to make sense. Still, I can't help but ponder a connection.

So why isn't Richard Horne living the privileged life of a Horne like Audrey did? That's a clue we should try to unpack more.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Child of Audrey and PETE MARTELL. Nothing cures a broken heart like a trout's leap in the moonlight heheheheh #trousertrout #gonefishin
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Leacock
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leacock »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Richard Horne does not dress or act like a Horne. He acts like someone trying to rise in the drug trade -- but shouldn't he be a rich kid?

This suggests to me that he must somehow not have been welcomed in to the Horne family proper. What would the reasons for this be?

Well, if Ben or Jerry were embarrassed by him for some reason.

It's hard for me to imagine that Audrey wouldn't have wanted her child to be part of the family.

For some reason I suspect that Richard lives at the new Fat Trout trailer park, and this is how he knows Linda.

Linda appears to be a war veteran crippled from war. Many of us thought Audrey would be maimed in some way from the bank explosion. I want to make connections here but it doesn't seem to make sense. Still, I can't help but ponder a connection.

So why isn't Richard Horne living the privileged life of a Horne like Audrey did? That's a clue we should try to unpack more.
The first scene he blows big bucks so he can smoke in peace.

Now that could all be drug money but still - he seemed to have ooze entitled rich boy to me - and I had no idea he was a Horne until I logged in here.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

I'm glad I have company in the "other" or adopted category. It was getting pretty lonely there. We are now at an astounding number of two votes. :D

Honestly, I think after last night's episode, anything is possible. We were all thinking he was a Frank Booth level psychopath after episode 5 when in reality he's just a messed up kid who wants to be Billy Badass.

Is it possible we know he's a Horne because of the credits, but his character actually doesn't? I hadn't thought of that before, but maybe Richard was given up for adoption by Audrey or someone else in the Horne clan for some unknown reason, and only the audience knows his true identity. Maybe he's been living his young life out at Fat Trout never knowing that one of his real parents is a Horne.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

What if he goes through the series without any mention of his name and no scenes with the other Hornes? And that is why his name was released in the credits, to make us speculate for decades.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Hester Prynne wrote:I'm glad I have company in the "other" or adopted category. It was getting pretty lonely there. We are now at an astounding number of two votes. :D

Honestly, I think after last night's episode, anything is possible. We were all thinking he was a Frank Booth level psychopath after episode 5 when in reality he's just a messed up kid who wants to be Billy Badass.

Is it possible we know he's a Horne because of the credits, but his character actually doesn't? I hadn't thought of that before, but maybe Richard was given up for adoption by Audrey or someone else in the Horne clan for some unknown reason, and only the audience knows his true identity. Maybe he's been living his young life out at Fat Trout never knowing that one of his real parents is a Horne.
You don't think he's a psychopath after last night's episode?! His reaction to killing a small child was yelling "I told you to get out of the way!" Ok, sure, he was out of his mind on drugs....but he was cognizant enough to find a vacant field and carefully cover up the crime by cleaning the grate on his truck without showing a smidgen of remorse. Fear and panic...no sadness or guilt. This guy is the dictionary definition of psychopath.

And I don't think L/F would credit him as "Richard Horne" if that weren't his legal name currently.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

sylvia_north wrote:Child of Audrey and PETE MARTELL. Nothing cures a broken heart like a trout's leap in the moonlight heheheheh #trousertrout #gonefishin
I just lol'd so hard. Anyways, I voted Audrey. But he reminds me more of Bobby Briggs than a Horne.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:I'm glad I have company in the "other" or adopted category. It was getting pretty lonely there. We are now at an astounding number of two votes. :D

You don't think he's a psychopath after last night's episode?! His reaction to killing a small child was yelling "I told you to get out of the way!" Ok, sure, he was out of his mind on drugs....but he was cognizant enough to find a vacant field and carefully cover up the crime by cleaning the grate on his truck without showing a smidgen of remorse. Fear and panic...no sadness or guilt. This guy is the dictionary definition of psychopath.

And I don't think L/F would credit him as "Richard Horne" if that weren't his legal name currently.
Richard is a POS that should spend the rest of his life rotting in jail - no question. His character gets no sympathy from me - that scene was shocking and really messed with me last night.

Deeply disturbed and narcissistic? Yes. But when I think of psychopath, I think of Frank, Bob, Evil Coop - and after watching Richard's scene with Red, I wasn't so sure of that as I was after watching Episode 5. As hard as it is to say it was an accident as much as we all hate Richard right now - that's what it was. Even though his reckless actions caused it, he didn't set out to kill the little boy. His reaction afterwards? You have a good point - didn't show remorse, blamed it on the kid, didn't stop after he hit him - we'll have to see what Episode 7 holds.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

Does anybody else think there is a touch of Jean Renault about Richard?

Yes, he is definitely a french Horne...
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

There was a suggestion made on reddit that I hadn't considered: What if Richard is the child of Donna and James? Donna, being the biological daughter of Ben Horne.

For this to work, Richard would probably have had to change his name in an attempt to weasel his way into his grandfather's fortune.

I don't think this will be the case, but it was an alternative I hadn't considered.