The Roadhouse scenes performances (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re: The Roadhouse scenes performances (SPOILERS)

Post by BOB1 »

OK, it's my turn for the last entry, too. To sum up:
so far BOB1 wrote:end of Part 2 - James/ Shelly - the band is called: Chromatics * * * * 1/2

end of Part 3 - The Cactus Blossoms * * *

end of Part 4 - Au revoir Simone * * *

end of Part 5 - no smoking - Trouble * * * * * !

end of Part 6 - Sharon van Etten * *

end of Part 7 - floor sweeping - name of band...??? * * * 1/2

not-the-end of Part 8 - Nine Inch Nails * * * * 1/4

end of Part 9 - Hudson Mohawke/ the rash/ Au revoir Simone #2 * * * * 1/2

end of Part 10 - Rebekah del Rio * * 1/2

end of Part 11 - not at the Roadhouse/ Dougie, Mitchums, Candies and a cherry pie - a pianist playing Angelo Badalamenti * * * * *

end of Part 12 - some people talking - Chromatics *

end of Part 13 - Roadhouse proudly presents... - James Hurley! * * * *

end of Part 14 - another two girls chatting - Lissie * * *

end of Part 15 - the catatonic girl - The Veils * * * * 1/2

end of Part 16 - Eddie Vedder - Audrey& Charlie - Audrey's dance * * * * *

Hesitated a bit about it but yes, it was a great scene. The song in my opinion fit perfectly, the part where he sings 'what I was I will not be again', it really touched me at the beginning of this episode, one about identity among others. And then Audrey's strange appearance ended with that horrible hospital-like white light and mirror, brr.

end of Part 17 - Julee Cruisse * or zero

Pitiful.
I'm kind of disappointed that she didnt have an opportunity to sing at the Roadhouse. As I've read she's mad at Lynch and I can understand her feelings. I assume that Lynch wanted to bring a mood from S2 Ep7 when the World Spins was performed for the first time but Cruise in my opiniom deserved more than a minute on screen.
Yes I could say the same, only I don't assume Lynch wanted to bring any mood from wherever or if he did he failed utterly. It was a disaster.

So that's it. Among the Profoundly Disappointed Group, which I consider to be my group on this board, I was probably the biggest fan of these musical acts and pointless scenes. It was a kind of pointlessness that had a point, I thought... Not all of course but I enjoyed those scenes and I like to come back to them.

By far the best musical ending was of course in Part 11 but that was not at the Roadhouse, so as for as Roadhouse is concerned - Trouble & Richard Horne's introduction wins the game, followed by Eddie Vedder & Audrey. Bronze medal ex-aequo for The Chromatics & "James is cool, he's always been cool" and Au revoir Simone with the arm-pit girl. I liked both of these very much :)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Too bad there isn't a recording of Julee Cruise "yelling her head off in anger". It would have made a great Roadhouse performance in Season 4.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Rewatching the “uncut” Roadhouse performances on the Blu Ray, one thing really stuck out like a sore thumb: no one seems to be playing synth on the two Chromatics tracks! This is especially obvious on “Saturday,” where the entire main melody is played on keyboard, yet all we see is three people with guitars and a percussionist! Very strange choice there. I wonder why they didn’t just put Ruth Radelet on keyboards. (She even “plays” synth during Julee’s performance.)
WindUpBird

Post by WindUpBird »

I wondered if Lynch specically directed them to all be on guitar (well guitar and bass) and play like that. I find something oddly engaging about the way on Saturday Ruth, Johnny and Adam all just stand in a row playing just one strum per chord in sync. Like taking the sterotypical disinertested performance of a certain tpe of band to another level of detachment. The polar opposite of what we get from The Nine Inch Nails and The Veils.