The Roadhouse scenes performances (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: The Roadhouse scenes performances (SPOILERS)

Post by IcedOver »

I would hope that the series doesn't end with one of these Roadhouse performances, but if it does, I hope it's not Vedder but Julee Cruise (with a new song, not a lip sync of an old one). Vedder isn't really appropriate for the show, and I personally am no longer much of a fan, so preferably he's in the next episode.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:I would hope that the series doesn't end with one of these Roadhouse performances, but if it does, I hope it's not Vedder but Julee Cruise (with a new song, not a lip sync of an old one).
New song or old, it's gonna be a lip sync. All of Cruise's old performances were lip syncs to the studio recordings, and same for every Roadhouse artist in TR. i sort of envision the closing song being "Falling." I'd love a new DKL/Cruise/Badalamenti piece, but DKL has been shockingly uninvolved in the music so far -- no tracks with him listed as writer or producer except a handful of Hurley collaborations and the unreleased '90s Thought Gang stuff. It seems he was busy with other aspects of the production. But a new Lynch/Cruise song would be a godsend.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:New song or old, it's gonna be a lip sync. All of Cruise's old performances were lip syncs to the studio recordings, and same for every Roadhouse artist in TR. i sort of envision the closing song being "Falling." I'd love a new DKL/Cruise/Badalamenti piece, but DKL has been shockingly uninvolved in the music so far -- no tracks with him listed as writer or producer except a handful of Hurley collaborations and the unreleased '90s Thought Gang stuff. It seems he was busy with other aspects of the production. But a new Lynch/Cruise song would be a godsend.
I didn't know the "Thought Gang" stuff was old. Was it intended to be an album at one point between the two of them?

Was "No Stars" (which Lynch co-wrote) done just for the show?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:New song or old, it's gonna be a lip sync. All of Cruise's old performances were lip syncs to the studio recordings, and same for every Roadhouse artist in TR. i sort of envision the closing song being "Falling." I'd love a new DKL/Cruise/Badalamenti piece, but DKL has been shockingly uninvolved in the music so far -- no tracks with him listed as writer or producer except a handful of Hurley collaborations and the unreleased '90s Thought Gang stuff. It seems he was busy with other aspects of the production. But a new Lynch/Cruise song would be a godsend.
I didn't know the "Thought Gang" stuff was old. Was it intended to be an album at one point between the two of them?

Was "No Stars" (which Lynch co-wrote) done just for the show?
Yep, there's an unreleased Thought Gang album. Not sure why DKL didn't release that circa 2009 when he had his own label and released the Dave Jarequi album. Dean Hurley confirmed that all the Thought Gang tracks are from the mid-'90s.

"No Stars" is from 2010 I think. DKL produced/cowrote it for one of her albums.
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

It has to be Julee Cruise, and i would be really disappointed if she isn't singing in the roadhouse when Cooper finally solves it all!
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Julee singing in the Roadhouse will probably happen in the last episode. I think it's either going to be Falling or a new song from her that DKL liked.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
Novalis wrote:Say what you like about how stupid the frontman may or may not act/look
Who says that? I don't think there was anything stupid about it and I prefer his lively performance to the Chromatics singer's bored face.
I don't myself have any problem with him (I think he's great) but someone in the profoundly disappointed thread was profoundly disappointed with him (quelle surprise).
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Vedder was great, really enjoyed his performance and song.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

The use of Vedder's real name was unexpected, but the performance was very Vedder, from his closed eyelids to that signature choppiness with the guitar chords. His voice always takes me back to Pearl Jam and the 1990s. Watching Vedder made me feel my age, to be sure, and reflect on sand running out. But it was also an effective song for the show.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agree on Vedder. Not the Peaksiest track, but a great song.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Rhiannon wrote:It has to be Julee Cruise, and i would be really disappointed if she isn't singing in the roadhouse when Cooper finally solves it all!
Can't wait. I'm sure Lynch saved her for the finale.

I predict the Disappointed will again be disappointed even then. :)
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

dronerstone wrote:I predict the Disappointed will again be disappointed even then. :)
Very funny :roll: People will be disappointed if they think it's a bad scene, they will love it if they think it's a good scene. I don't know why some people have such a hard time understanding that.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Thta's because they know better.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
MysteryMan14
Roadhouse Member

Post by MysteryMan14 »

end of Part 16 - Vedder * *
Ok it's time to add my last entry to this thread. The song is good but I have a feeling that doesnt belong to Peaksi world at all I'm not a big Vedder's fan. Frankly speaking his only song which I really enjoy is 'Society' from Into the Wild.

end of Part 17 - Juliee Cruise * * *
I'm kind of disappointed that she didnt have an opportunity to sing at the Roadhouse. As I've read she's mad at Lynch and I can understand her feelings. I assume that Lynch wanted to bring a mood from S2 Ep7 when the World Spins was performed for the first time but Cruise in my opiniom deserved more than a minute on screen. I dont know why Lynch did it to her and I was disappointed that It wasnt the Nightingale which is my favorite Cruise's song.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I actually liked the Vedder performance and song. The mournful tone plays into the sense of aging and time passing that permeated the series.

The Julee Cruise performance was awful. Terrible lip syncing, and her inclusion felt perfunctory more than anything. As for her being mad, I think that was more a couple decades ago when they didn't allow her to include her own songs or do her own thing (and why she would be mad at someone who lifted her from being an unknown singer to having two beloved albums and international recognition, I don't know). She said she called Lynch and they apologized to each other. As far as the inclusion of that song, which was originally used on the show when "it happened again," to me that says that Cooper failed to save Laura in that moment, her scream signifying that "it happened again," she was murdered and, hopefully, the series wasn't actually negated.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!