What would a Season 4 be about?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: What would a Season 4 be about?

Post by N. Needleman »

Soolsma wrote:If there's any '50s/'60s in the new TP it would likely be some more of the frogmoth infected New Mexico girl/Sarah Novack Palmer, but, like last time, just a hint of that.
When I thought this up it was a few years prior to S3 airing - 2015 or so.

As for Kyle, I think he's alluded to feeling his oats in the business and getting kicked in the teeth a little post-TP and becoming more humble in a number of interviews.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

One of those experiences would be Showgirls I imagine, but I remain firmly in the camp that it is a masterpiece. I was lucky enough to see it in Paris a few years back during a Paul Verhoeven retrospective, and the audience of beatniks loved it. It is a viscious takedown of American success stories, where every single element is tawdry, ridiculous and unpleasant simply for the sake of it. It reminded me a lot of the mischievous spirit of his Dutch work (though it's not in the quite the same league as the Fourth Man, I'd put it up there with Spetters).

End of digression!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

baxter wrote:One of those experiences would be Showgirls I imagine, but I remain firmly in the camp that it is a masterpiece. I was lucky enough to see it in Paris a few years back during a Paul Verhoeven retrospective, and the audience of beatniks loved it. It is a viscious takedown of American success stories, where every single element is tawdry, ridiculous and unpleasant simply for the sake of it. It reminded me a lot of the mischievous spirit of his Dutch work (though it's not in the quite the same league as the Fourth Man, I'd put it up there with Spetters).

End of digression!
I love Verhoeven. Showgirls and its trajectory is fascinating. Nice to see someone acknowledge his Dutch films!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:
As for Kyle, I think he's alluded to feeling his oats in the business and getting kicked in the teeth a little post-TP and becoming more humble in a number of interviews.
That's exactly what I meant - there was a sense of cockiness to his pre-2000's mentioning of Peaks (when he was caught mentioning it at all, that is) that made him come across as a sort of a dick as far as acknowledging the show's legacy and his own place in it is concerned. But there are objective excuses for it: back then, the show really didn't have much of a legacy, let alone such a unanimously positive reputation in the general public it has come to enjoy in the last 15 years or so. Plus, he was young and eager to get from under the shadow of a property for fear of getting typecast - I sense that may be the reason he hadn't worked with Lynch for more than 20 years after FWWM. I'm really glad Lynch managed to squeeze him into that movie for at least that meager amount of minutage, as the actor's reluctance to reprise his iconic role was at a historic maximum at the time.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

N. Needleman wrote:
Soolsma wrote:If there's any '50s/'60s in the new TP it would likely be some more of the frogmoth infected New Mexico girl/Sarah Novack Palmer, but, like last time, just a hint of that.
When I thought this up it was a few years prior to S3 airing - 2015 or so.
Well, I think that if L&F didn't go Trinity/New Mexico as part of their origins story, I guess Pearl Lakes might have been a good option. Every now and then I'm reminded of how sad I am Frank Silva passed so early and what could have been.

Re > Dutch films. Any Lynch fan should check out Alex v. Warmerdam. Over here we call him the Dutch David Lynch.
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

krishnanspace wrote:Twin Peaks is going all Terminator/X men. Lol.
In FWWM , during the Irene's Diner scene someone mentions that there were 2 FBI agents who visited them in the 50s
I do recall Irene saying that a couple of J Edgars had been around and that her response was "So What?", but I do not remember her saying anything about the 1950's?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:But there are objective excuses for it: back then, the show really didn't have much of a legacy, let alone such a unanimously positive reputation in the general public it has come to enjoy in the last 15 years or so.
Peaks had a positive if mixed rep before that, IMO - I think the general public felt one way and was very dismissive of a lot of it yet was still leaning on its famous iconography, rerunning it, making its plot points and characters game show questions, etc. And of course every future show was influenced by it. So while the public claimed to have moved on, entertainment never really did. And much of the industry was always still a bit worshipful. But the whole of TP got much more appraisal with the DVDs, yes. That's when the tide began to turn towards general admitted public appreciation, because it was no longer unfashionable.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I love Paul Verhoeven's work. But I love Showgirls to death for different reasons, because it is the most fabulously fun terrible movie I have seen approximately 50 times.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

eyeboogers wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Twin Peaks is going all Terminator/X men. Lol.
In FWWM , during the Irene's Diner scene someone mentions that there were 2 FBI agents who visited them in the 50s
I do recall Irene saying that a couple of J Edgars had been around and that her response was "So What?", but I do not remember her saying anything about the 1950's?
https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.u ... ing-pieces
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

One Thing. The convenience store is a old gas station, and the gas station of the part 18 could be other convenience store more modern and Coop and Carry change of time before of arrive to Twin Peaks??
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Thanks for the "Dutch David Lynch" recommendation- I have to check that out!

My brother lived in Amsterdam for some years and learnt Dutch, then introduced me to the early films of Paul Verhoeven. I actually think that Showgirls should be played on a double bill with Herzog's Stroszek. They make the same point, but Showgirls does it with infinitely more razzle dazzle (I am semi-serious!!). It is fabulously entertaining.

My brother became obsessed with the Dutch author Gerard Reve, who wrote the novel on which The Fourth Man was based. He even translated it for me- if anyone fancies reading it, send me a PM.

In return, I offered to translate the Lynch Cahiers de Cinema articles, but of course I haven't got round to it.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Holy moly, Showgirls has Kyle and 7 razzies. Guess that means I have to watch it now. :lol:
baxter wrote:Thanks for the "Dutch David Lynch" recommendation- I have to check that out!
I'd recommend you
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Northerners
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borgman_(film)

The latter being the most surreal and critically praised of his oeuvre while the former is my (and his) personal favorite of which I think it defines him most as a filmmaker. v Warmerdam has a lot of Lynchian traits, such as him being a schooled painter/artist, which shows. He often uses his paintings as concept art or storyboard material.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
blueangel

Post by blueangel »

Showgirls is terrible. lol
mister11

Post by mister11 »

I don't know if it's true, but I would find it very bizarre if Kyle MacLachlan had ever been bitter about or disliked Twin Peaks. He seems to have put so much thought and artistry into the role of Agent Cooper that I don't know how he could possibly have not been proud of it.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

mister11 wrote:I don't know if it's true, but I would find it very bizarre if Kyle MacLachlan had ever been bitter about or disliked Twin Peaks. He seems to have put so much thought and artistry into the role of Agent Cooper that I don't know how he could possibly have not been proud of it.
Back in the day there was much more segregation between film actors and tv actors. MacLachlan started out in film and was afraid to be demoted into tv actor permanently. Also he expressed fears about being typecast as detectives for the rest of his career. He was also at the center of some of the biggest personal conflicts impacting the shows production, so for various reason it seems he was concerned about being Cooper for life.