Possible deleted scene from The Return?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Someone posted this on reddit claiming they were told it's a deleted scene from The Return.

Even if it's bullshit re: being a Twin Peaks scene, it's still eerily cool nonetheless. Gave me the creeps and I'm not sure if it's eerier as an actual TP scene or something completely unrelated that passes as one.

The Youtube channel appears to be dedicated to rare VCR recordings of very old TV content.

What does everyone think, either way? This is basically the plot of WandaVision.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Post by Jasper »

This is really cool and creepy, no matter what, so thanks for posting it. I don’t think it’s really from Twin Peaks, and my guess is that somebody simply happened upon a piece of old media that has uncanny synchronicity with the Judy’s diner scene of the Return. Like you say, the channel seems dedicated to rare recordings of old content, so it’s just the type of outfit that might stumble upon such a thing.

Pausing it at various points, the gunman doesn’t really look like Kyle. For instance, he doesn’t seem to possess quite the chiseled movie star chin, his cheeks appear more sunken, and his nose seems too protrusive. The uploader’s comments claim that it’s a digital insert into an old kinescope, but the actor looks perfectly integrated, and the reactions of the other actors seem precisely calibrated to his actions onscreen. What the hell else could have been causing their reactions?

I think someone noticed the similarity and it was uploaded with the comments in order to have some fun with it.

Maybe Lynch was flipping channels one day and saw whatever this came from, and it inspired him with regards to Cooper’s bizarre behavior at Judy’s. It really does have an uncanny similarity. It’s actually better and creepier if it’s not Twin Peaks, because then it’s almost as if some form of Cooper really has invaded an old show in our reality, rather than it simply being a plot line in Twin Peaks.
clip.jpg
clip.jpg (75.26 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jasper, look at his hand when he picks up that carton. Doesn't it just just phase through the other guy's shoulder as if it was digitally inserted? Doesn't the lighting look completely different on him than the others? I just slowed it down x8 and his hand does just slide through the host's arm like a ghost.

Creepier by the minute.

They don't really seem to be reacting to him. As in, not in the way they would have if he has actually there? But then what are they reacting to if not, as you asked. Everything is slightly off just like the diner scene in P18

Been trying to find out what show it or who the hosts are, but in vain.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Histeria wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:35 am Jasper, look at his hand when he picks up that carton. Doesn't it just just phase through the other guy's shoulder as if it was digitally inserted? Doesn't the lighting look completely different on him than the others? I just slowed it down x8 and his hand does just slide through the host's arm like a ghost.

Creepier by the minute.

They don't really seem to be reacting to him. As in, not in the way they would have if he has actually there? But then what are they reacting to if not, as you asked. Everything is slightly off just like the diner scene in P18

Been trying to find out what show it or who the hosts are, but in vain.
I must confess, while I wholeheartedly agree about the creepiness, I think that the light is true, and the reactions seem to be very well calibrated to the action as we see it. I would say that any apparent transparency issues with the hand can be explained by simple motion blur. Most importantly, there's simply no way that the actor in question is the handsome Mr. MacLachlan.

We should also wonder why a production so plagued by budgetary difficulties would go to such lengths to create a very fine visual effect, then leave it unused, while meanwhile we are treated to delights such as majorbriggshead.jpg floating in the Fireman's home in part 17. Lynch has claimed that he was forced to personally do some of the digital effects when the budget ran dry.

Like you, I'm quite keen to know the identity of the program. I'd also like to see people on youtube who do deepfake movie scenes insert Kyle's face into this scene, but that might be impossible given the dire state of the footage.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Fun discussion and fascinating clip. Reminds me a little of the alleged time traveller in the Charlie Chaplin movie.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jasper wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:52 am This is really cool and creepy, no matter what, so thanks for posting it. I don’t think it’s really from Twin Peaks, and my guess is that somebody simply happened upon a piece of old media that has uncanny synchronicity with the Judy’s diner scene of the Return. Like you say, the channel seems dedicated to rare recordings of old content, so it’s just the type of outfit that might stumble upon such a thing.
The chances of someone being allowed to keep and personally upload an unused piece of Twin Peaks The Return material is pretty much nil so yeah, it's someone having a bit of fun. Only way I could imagine something like that happening is if the uploader was also responsible for the digital insertion of Cooper (e.g. as some kind of freelance effects artist with novelty specialities) - but nothing from that channel's other videos indicate he does anything of that sort.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Possible deleted scene from The Return?

Post by Histeria »

I don't have any view on whether it's actually from S3 or if it's actually Kyle. Not enough to go on either way and it's safer to assume it isn't him, I guess.

However, I am suspicious of motion blur being a culprit for the illusion as it's almost certainly a 30fps broadcast and kinescopes were either 24fps or even 30 in the 1950s (my memory might be wrong on that particular fact but in any case the apparition of the hand is far too abrupt for either 24 or 30, imo).

But most importantly, even if it was down to that, he'd still have to move his own arm/hand out of the way to avoid pumping into him. And he doesn't appear to. His suit jacket under the coat seems pretty to have a relatively modern cut, too.

Anyway, the odd thing about this video is I'm not sure which explanation would fit occam's razor best. I'd say the most likely is it being an original and undoctored video. But I'm not unequivocally for that theory tbh.

Anyway, I've been trying to identify the hosts and the show for days. No dice :(

As for leaks, far crazier ones have happened. Twin Peaks also seems to be a rather porous IP, with lots of footage, screenplays, alternative and deleted scenes all circulating somewhere or another. But the chain of custody was pretty watertight for S3. Lynch and Dunham. For this particular scene (if we assume for arguement that it's legit) would have been crafted with outside help so it makes sense if this is the only thing that gets out.

But yeah, I still default to "not real" until further info comes to light.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Is that a sign on their table? If it could be unblurred and read it might say what the show is.

The woman looks like Jane Wyman. According to her IMDB, she was in many playhouse TV productions in the 50's (General Electric Theater, Jane Wyman Presents the Fireside Theatre, Campbell Summer Soundstage, Summer Playhouse, and more) - so if it is her the clip (or original version of it) could be from one of them.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Will look at Jane's TV output. Anyone have a clue for the crown logo? It looks vaguely familiar but it's been a long time since I did academic research on mid-century American television. I kinda get a vague film connection so it might even be from an old film (I'm subconsciously ean towards Hitchcock but can't remember why)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

She calls him Rex in the clip. Rex Harrison?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I did look at him. But after a while I thought "what if this is all fiction and they're characters as opposed to it being a live set. Very few recordings exist of the claimed year 1950-52 because it was easier to broadcast live than to keep recordings. Recordings had to be via a kinescope, which is a film camera shooting in front a TV monitor that's showing the live broadcast.

So I slightly leaning towards fiction or scripted drama. But not close to sure either way.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

If it is Jane Wyman and if it is 1950-1952 the only TV on her list is Campbell Summer Soundstage (TV Series)
- episode "Forty Odd" (1952). Can't find anything more about it. She was also a host on Summer Playhouse 2 years later.

Another credit (hidden under special thanks) in 56 is The Colgate Comedy Hour. And in 1959 - and this almost sounds like it could be it by the title - Lux Playhouse "A Deadly Guest".
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:45 am If it is Jane Wyman and if it is 1950-1952 the only TV on her list is Campbell Summer Soundstage (TV Series)
- episode "Forty Odd" (1952). Can't find anything more about it. She was also a host on Summer Playhouse 2 years later.

Another credit (hidden under special thanks) in 56 is The Colgate Comedy Hour. And in 1959 - and this almost sounds like it could be it by the title - Lux Playhouse "A Deadly Guest".
Appears to be a colour presentation but the database might have the wrong technical details. But promising lead I think you're getting warmer (warmer than I got!)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

She also looks a little like Patricia Hitchcock. The man sitting with her also looks very familiar to me. Doesn't look like Rex Harrison, but familiar.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It’s from a 12/01/1950 Dumont broadcast called HOLD THAT CAMERA. The clip is here at four minutes in:

https://archive.org/details/HoldThatCameradec.11950

The detective guy with the gun is Roscoe Karns, doing a promo for his show ROCKY KING DETECTIVE, which was on following this broadcast. You can see more of him promoting his show in the longer clip after the hostess Kyle MacDonnell (NOT MacLachlan) sings her song. The other host is Rex Marshall.