Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

The Original Series.
36%
The Return.
29%
Neither.
14%
Both.
No votes
FWWM is closer to The Original Series, The Missing Pieces is closer to The Return.
21%
Other answer (comment below).
No votes

Total votes: 14
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

well, i've been to clubs in my time, and the whole pink room sequence plays to me as a bit of a satire of loud and annoying off-the-grid underground clubs that don't have proper permits and things. it's like this raging migraine come to life. the pan across the used cigarettes and empty beer bottles reads to me as a punchline. it's like black comedy.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Re: Do you think FWWM is closer in tone/style to the original series or to The Return?

Post by NormoftheAndes »

I found it a fairly straight portrayal of that kind of place. Blue Velvet is a bit more darkly comic in its similar scenes, including the deleted scene where a woman sets her chest on fire. FWWM certainly gives us a sincere depiction of Laura in a druggy hell which harkens to the Black Lodge. Donna's fate in there gives us a sense of danger.

The point of the pan across the floor and its stench is that we then cut to a pan across beautiful, fresh pine trees in the morning. I don't think the film is passing some kind of judgement but offering a very clear sentiment.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

man, your posts are very confrontational. interpret the scene however you like.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

How was I confrontational? I wasn't, at all.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I haven't noticed anything confrontational myself, either. However, I liked this summary very much:
NormoftheAndes wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:47 am FWWM certainly gives us a sincere depiction of Laura in a druggy hell which harkens to the Black Lodge. Donna's fate in there gives us a sense of danger.

The point of the pan across the floor and its stench is that we then cut to a pan across beautiful, fresh pine trees in the morning. I don't think the film is passing some kind of judgement but offering a very clear sentiment.
As for humour in FWWM, I mainly see it in the first part (Deer Meadow), most of all in the scene where agent Desmond asks Sam what time it is :-)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB