FWWM as Limited Series/Mini-Series with The Missing Pieces?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

FWWM as Limited Series/Mini-Series with The Missing Pieces?

Post by Jonah »

Someone said watching the fan edits that complies both FWWM and The Missing Pieces together makes it feel like a mini-series.

What would you think if Lynch edited together a 4 or 5 episode mini-series (would be roughly 57 or 45 minute episodes) of both together for a streaming service like Showtime or Netflix that can play alongside Seasons 1, 2, and 3. I've heard Tarantino did something like this for The Hateful Eight (which I haven't seen) and think it would be a good idea for FWWM especially as streaming services never seem to include it when they do include the series and The Return.

It wouldn't take away from the movie, which would still exist, but might get the movie more visibility and The Missing Pieces especially.

Thoughts?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: FWWM as Limited Series/Mini-Series with The Missing Pieces?

Post by Histeria »

Would have adored a slice-of-life anthology series set in the town a la Jarmusch's Paterson.

Missing Pieces feels like pieces of such a series. Just characters we adore, living. It's the singular example of Lynch's generosity of spirit that comes out in spite of his surface-level dark filmmaking aesthetic (which is fascinating when contrasted with his thematic constant of darkness hiding behind surface-level idealism).

But after so long and with so little Twin Peaks entries it would seem a bit indulgent now whereas in 1992 it would have been supplementary and enriching.

Not saying I don't want it, just that I'd want other Twin Peaksy things more if possible.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I tried breaking up FWWM+Missing Pieces into individual episodes, just as a thought experiment when I had too much free time a couple years back.

I think it came out to 4 eps, roughly 50 minutes or so a piece. Episode 1 was the Theresa Banks stuff, Episode 2 + 3 is a weird mix of Laura's story with random stuff from the Missing Pieces, and 4 was Laura discovering BOB's identity and dying.

I tried watching a fan edit of FWWM+Missing Pieces as one giant film and it was just too unwieldy for me, but breaking it up into smaller episodes kind of worked. Seeing Pete explaining 2x4's in the middle of Laura's story is a little jarring, but no more so than some episodes of The Return.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Cappy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:08 pmI tried watching a fan edit of FWWM+Missing Pieces as one giant film and it was just too unwieldy for me, but breaking it up into smaller episodes kind of worked. Seeing Pete explaining 2x4's in the middle of Laura's story is a little jarring, but no more so than some episodes of The Return.
I did the same exact thing with a Blue Velvet fanedit which incorporated the deleted scenes. Surprisingly, watching a 40-minute chunk over the course of a few days worked surprisingly well.

I think the seeds for Lynch going full serialized were always there--he's always written and filmed generously.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.