Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by TwinsPeak »

I'm gonna post my thoughts on the episode after a rewatch.

Does anyone have a guess on how DougieCoop's boss figured out what Coop's scribbles mean't?

Why did Lynch show the 1-1-9 scene a 2nd time?

Can someone screen grab the pages Hawk found and compare handwritting to the diary pretty please?

if you can answer these three questions i would be very grateful.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Hurley

Post by Hurley »

baxter wrote: Something I've not seen discussed much (though I could easily have missed it) is the significance of the opening scene in Part 1 with the giant. Good Cooper is apparently fully present, but he fades out in a weird way. Where/when is that supposed to be? Is it a flash forwards? Is it where Cooper is in fact currently residing? What about the teaser clip that showed Cooper walking along dark corridors with a similar colour scheme to that scene (apparently with the one armed man)? Are we somehow going there later in the series?
I've been thinking about this a lot. I do believe we'll end up there in a future episode, though I'm not exactly sure how. I also think that Coop (possibly with Gerard) will emerge in Glastonberry Grove, and be found by Hawk. (Continuation of the scene from part 2.)
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

the wolf wrote:So, here's something. During the scene where Hawk is in the bathroom, take a verrry close look when he pulls out the pages. "Annie" can be seen written on the bottom right corner of the page. It's like right as he's pulling them out of the door.

I'm having trouble getting a clear screenshot of it at the moment, but I paused it at the 56:29 mark and you can see it.
I don't think it's Annie :(

It could be, but I think it ends with the letter 't' and the second to last isn't 'i', but it could be.

I would assume it's something like "Arrat" as someone's first or last name, or it's "Arrest".

But I guess it could be Annie though... I would LOVE if it would be.

EDIT:
Hell, looking at a smaller image it kinda starts to look like Annie!
Attachments
paper_small.jpg
paper_small.jpg (7.54 KiB) Viewed 9001 times
paper.jpg
paper.jpg (18.85 KiB) Viewed 9003 times
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

TwinsPeak wrote:I'm gonna post my thoughts on the episode after a rewatch.

Does anyone have a guess on how DougieCoop's boss figured out what Coop's scribbles mean't?

Why did Lynch show the 1-1-9 scene a 2nd time?

Can someone screen grab the pages Hawk found and compare handwritting to the diary pretty please?

if you can answer these three questions i would be very grateful.
As to the first question, just a guess, but I thought Coop's scribbles were kind of highlighting various parts of the case files when, if viewed in isolation from the rest of the data, showed a suspicious pattern.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Yes, I think it is Annie in the photo. I cannot make out anything else.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
the wolf

Re: RE: Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by the wolf »

Rami Airola wrote:
the wolf wrote:So, here's something. During the scene where Hawk is in the bathroom, take a verrry close look when he pulls out the pages. "Annie" can be seen written on the bottom right corner of the page. It's like right as he's pulling them out of the door.

I'm having trouble getting a clear screenshot of it at the moment, but I paused it at the 56:29 mark and you can see it.
I don't think it's Annie :(

It could be, but I think it ends with the letter 't' and the second to last isn't 'i', but it could be.

I would assume it's something like "Arrat" as someone's first or last name, or it's "Arrest".

But I guess it could be Annie though... I would LOVE if it would be.

EDIT:
Hell, looking at a smaller image it kinda starts to look like Annie!
maybe it says arrive? idk though, the capitalization has me thinking Annie. Gosh, waiting between episodes is torturous haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It does look like -

"Annie."

Wow.

Thanks for posting those screencaps!

Edit -

I can make out - I think - the following words:

I (keep?/kept?) (ring?) this it in,
my (land?/diary?). (Its?) Annie,
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
federicomiozzo

Post by federicomiozzo »

The electric pole no. 6!!!

I need an explanation for this. Ok we have the NEW Fat Trout Trailer Park, moved from Oregon to Washington State (even though in the Mark Frost's book it says that C. Todd came back to Twin Peaks and established his trailer park there, and there it stayed... which is already incorrect following FWWM Logic) but THE FRIGGIN POLE!!??! Did he move the pole too??!

I need an explanation
Last edited by federicomiozzo on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Jonah wrote: Lynch isn't above criticism. No artist is. And quite frankly I think there are parts of this - in terms of the acting, the narrative structure, the pacing, the editing, and the humour - that are as off or as bad as weak Season 2. There's also been scenes that have been reused, cuts that have been amateurish, dialogue that has sounded stilted, effects that have been shoddy. And then there's been moments that are promising or even wonderful. So, leaving aside expectations, I think there are valid flaws with this new series - and Lynch's insistence on dolling it out as weekly narrative TV but also saying it's a movie at the same time - that might not work for some people whether or not they loved the original series.
For people taking serious issue with acting or effects, I sometimes wonder how much of David's past work they've actually seen...but to each his own.

When it comes to questioning the pacing, editing, and "narrative structure," though--now we're bordering on impatient and reactionary.

Let's face it: all certain people really care about right now is Dale returning to "normal" and heading back to Twin Peaks. That being the case, I'm sure every scene which fails to deliver on that seems "too long" or "pointless" to them. Maybe when everyone's been satisfied in that department, and has the opportunity to see the ENTIRE story unfold, they will have revised opinions about how well these episodes work.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Oh please. I don't think we're bordering on impatient or reactionary. Everyone is entitled to their own view. And if someone has an issue with narrative structure or pacing of any work they are entitled to voice it without being deemed "impatient and reactionary". What is this - an oligarchy?

I think you're right that people (myself included) might have revised opinions about the show when we see more of it - but that won't necessarily make earlier scenes less sluggish or clumsy (or even feeling random/pointless) in retrospect. And I don't think all certain people care about is getting Dale back to normal. I think that sounds argumentative and biased. Again - everyone is entitled to their views. Why must every criticism levelled at the series be lambasted or condescended?
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
pvilmur
Roadhouse Member

Post by pvilmur »

Jonah wrote:It does look like -

"Annie."

Wow.

Edit -

I think it might say "my hand" -- meaning the ring was in her hand, a la FWWM...
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

pvilmur wrote:
Jonah wrote:It does look like -

"Annie."

Wow.

Edit -

I think it might say "my hand" -- meaning the ring was in her hand, a la FWWM...
Oh, you might be like right! It does look a little bit like that.
"I keep (kept) the ring in my hand. It's Annie...." (?)
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Jonah wrote: I (keep?/kept?) (ring?) this it in,
There are three lines:

"(...)d keep ring (?) it was
(...)my (?) thing to
(...) hand (on) Annie."
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Loving this season, loved this episode... and yet a few doubts remain - namely that 18 hours might not be enough.

While I don't want everything tied up (in fact, having every aspect neatly tied up would be about the worst possible ending afaik), there are so many plots going on that I'm starting to wonder if there'll be time to return at all to ones that seemed to have more to offer (eg Hastings in his cell, is that it for the glass box?) and whether more of the original cast will get substantial development/plotlines of their own. At the moment, it still feels like the MD series that never was with a few TP cameos. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but also seems a bit of a waste of the returning cast - I don't just want a brief recap of what Shelly, Bobby etc are up to now - I want to spend a bit of time with them too.

Having said all that, last week I was wondering why Naomi Watts was cast in a 2D role that could have been played by anyone, and then this episode she stole the show for me, so who knows what's in store...
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Lots of electrical poles look similar.

And yes, it is possible for human beings to be reactionary and impatient.

In fact, these are the expected reactions to Lynch's work. All is proceeding as it always has.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge