Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by sylvia_north »

Hockey Mask wrote:The hit and run was definitely in Twin Peaks.
Oh, I see what you're saying.

Yes, hit and run in front of Moe's Motor same intersection.

How about this? We are supposed to believe Leland and Laura are on an driving through Deer Meadow in FWWM on the way to meet Sarah for breakfast (after church? referring to The Missing Pieces. Perhaps Sarah goes to church there and that's why that scene is right before Leland picks up Laura from Donna's)

My reasoning being that Leland has his Teresa flashback right there when they pull into Moes.

Let's consider that the Fat Trout is demolished or natural disaster takes it (as in real life) in the year between Teresa and Laura's murders. During that time, there was major construction where it used to be. The brick building kitty-corner from Moes, an apartment building which is going to be used in the series, crops up. (I suspect more supernatural/sinister things will happen in this apartment building, where the Old Fat Trout was, if this theory is correct.) It's visible in FWWM. We could believe such a scenario time-wise because the Fat Trout sign is the same in 3x6, albeit more weathered, with a small sign that says "new" sign tacked on at the new Fat Trout location, so it's been there a while.

(Insignificant, but in real life, there's not one but two mobile home parks right beside the Red/Blue Diamond Motel location on North Bend Way, too, so my brain clicks with Deer Meadow at both the intersection where the real original Fat Trout was, and this new location if they shot it at one of them.)

The pole must be the same because of the GPS coordinate sequence of numbers over the 6, 6th pole on the main power line. (The 7th could be at the Red Diamond or elsewhere significant that we may see in the next episode.)

It's a stretch... but if that pole has significance as far as the Chalfonts and Mike appearing to warn Laura. Somebody gave Teresa that ring. In Q2's FWWM edit, we see Mike lighting candles backward in what could be a trailer while Laura and Donna are partying, and then the intersection confrontation happens.

Why does Leland have the flashback of the near-blackmail scene at the intersection? It started when he (or BOB?) saw Laura and Donna embracing. But he (or BOB) might be flashing back to Teresa, dateplanning but also the murder, because the murder happened. Right. There.

Jordan Chambers' fan fiction had Mike giving Teresa the ring at the trailer park, if my memory serves.

The electrical life energy of the dead boy rises up into the same pole.... And Mr C is looking for geo coordinates.

In addition, just before the scene Philip Jeffries appears in Philadelphia - perhaps simultaneously- is the scene in which Desmond goes back to the trailer park for the blue rose and finds the ring, and disappears. Cooper must have had the dream he tells Gordon about while Mike is doing his ritual. He dreams about the same ritual only in the hospital basement in the Euro pilot, that he tells Lucy and Harry about later.

And holy smokes, do those look like silver coins to you scattered in and around the candle circle?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.29.11 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.29.11 PM.jpg (37.09 KiB) Viewed 10711 times
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Smiling Bag
Roadhouse Member

Post by Smiling Bag »

Something I noticed that made me go back to the first part. When Cooper gets back in his black suit, I realized his lapel is "pin free". Low and behold, in the opening sequence of the FIRST episode, when talking to the Giant, his lapel is clean/NO pin on it. The next scene of cooper in the red room shows the pin on the lapel. I am now all but certain that the opening shot is in the future and a scene that we will see repeated later. I also believe this will align with Hawk finding the curtains in the woods and then nothing comes of it.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Yeah the intersection must be in Twin Peaks and even rather close to the RR because the woman who just left the RR ended up seeing Richard after the hit and run.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Smiling Bag wrote:Something I noticed that made me go back to the first part. When Cooper gets back in his black suit, I realized his lapel is "pin free". Low and behold, in the opening sequence of the FIRST episode, when talking to the Giant, his lapel is clean/NO pin on it. The next scene of cooper in the red room shows the pin on the lapel. I am now all but certain that the opening shot is in the future and a scene that we will see repeated later. I also believe this will align with Hawk finding the curtains in the woods and then nothing comes of it.
In the pilot/dream his suit has a lot more stuff on it, even. And in FWWM's end, no pin.
Rami Airola wrote:Yeah the intersection must be in Twin Peaks and even rather close to the RR because the woman who just left the RR ended up seeing Richard after the hit and run.
Or Deer Meadow is just that close to the RR. I mean, North Bend, Snoqualmie and Fall City (the RR, the Great Northern and Hap's respectively) are all right on top of one another and connect via the same main roads.) https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 37009&z=14 This is walking distance if you're ambitious.
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

wowdavidwow wrote:Just before the red box appears on Duncan Todd's screen, you can read the following sentence in the third paragraph of the email.

"To understand how income statements are set up, think of them as a set of stairs."
Wow, David, Wow! Lil said there'd be a lot of legwork, and you're clearly... <thumbs up>... up to the task.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

sylvia_north wrote:How about this? We are supposed to believe Leland and Laura are on an driving through Deer Meadow in FWWM on the way to meet Sarah for breakfast
The New Fat Trout trailer park is in, or just outside of, Twin Peaks not in Deer Meadow, nor was the hit and run or the Gerard scene in FWWM in Deer Meadow.

Miriam has just left the RR with her coffees and she is at the site of the hit and run to witness Richard driving away.

The simplest (and simplest isn't always truest, but I think it is in this case) explanation is that, at some point since the Theresa Banks murder, Carl left Deer Meadow and opened up the New Fat Trout trailer park in or very near Twin Peaks.

The location of the electrical pole is really not important--it's all about what it evokes.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I dunno. Although the franchise has been pretty inconsistent with the locations of both towns at this point, I like to stick with the pilot's recitation as the "true" continuity. That's me, though. Remember, Leland's rendezvous with Teresa was originally in Red Diamond City, which is seemingly a lot closer to TP -- we know she didn't live in DM long. And Cliff driving 3+ hours to deal drugs might simply be a matter of "don't shit where you eat" (plus, if he lives in southern Wa., it would make sense to have northern connections for smuggling purposes -- we all know Canada is the hotbed of sin in the TP universe!). Honestly, from a real-world standpoint, it seems pretty obvious that DKL simply wanted HDS in this particular scene, and didn't put too much thought into logistics. I have no problem believing that Carl moved back to his childhood town of TP and opened a new trailer park there, and -- through fate or Lodge intervention -- another electrical pole with the same numbering again factors into his life in a prominent way.

Unrelated, but another popular topic of conversation: For me, what makes Red so cool is the way Getty plays his motions as simultaneously super-confident AND hesitant. In regards to confidence/precision, someone mentioned "karate-era Elvis," which is pretty close to the mark. But in several places, he seems to question his movements (e.g., starting to extend two fingers on his left hand, then thinking better of it and making the gesture with his right instead). This makes him simultaneously funny, creepy, unsettling, vulnerable, and unpredictable. I love LH but Getty was never a particular standout for me; I'm very excited to see more of Red, however. (I'll also again reiterate his connection to Pete's love of The King & I, if only because it's one of my all-time top 3 Nance line readings.)
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

counterpaul wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:How about this? We are supposed to believe Leland and Laura are on an driving through Deer Meadow in FWWM on the way to meet Sarah for breakfast
The New Fat Trout trailer park is in, or just outside of, Twin Peaks not in Deer Meadow, nor was the hit and run or the Gerard scene in FWWM in Deer Meadow.

Miriam has just left the RR with her coffees and she is at the site of the hit and run to witness Richard driving away.

The simplest (and simplest isn't always truest, but I think it is in this case) explanation is that, at some point since the Theresa Banks murder, Carl left Deer Meadow and opened up the New Fat Trout trailer park in or very near Twin Peaks.

The location of the electrical pole is really not important--it's all about what it evokes.
It still works! In real life, the RR location is equidistant from the trailer parks where I suspect the new Fat Trout is and Mo's Motor/Old Fat Trout. Twin Peaks might border Deer Meadow like the real Twin Peaks neighborhoods are situated. Does anyone remember what the Twin Peaks tri-counties are? I don't think it's explicitly stated but dossier calls it "nearby community" p 322

Respectfully, I disagree the location of the pole isn't important. We can't assume either way.
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

In addition to the ladder-and-stair drawings, Coop circled or drew bullet-like doodles next to Dougie's name and Tony Sinclair's name (the Tom Sizemore character) on most of the forms where they appeared, perhaps emphasizing the activity each took on the various policies.

I took Coop looking from "Bud" Mullins's boxing poster (presumably a young Don Murray from some film?) down to the flesh-and-blood Bushnell before him to be a contemplation on aging, and on the years Coop himself has lost.

Also, the football trophy behind Bushnell Mullins reminds me of the infamous, inexplicable Heisman Trophy behind Pete's desk in the early seasons of Mad Men :lol:
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I dunno. Although the franchise has been pretty inconsistent with the locations of both towns at this point, I like to stick with the pilot's recitation as the "true" continuity. That's me, though. Remember, Leland's rendezvous with Teresa was originally in Red Diamond City, which is seemingly a lot closer to TP -- we know she didn't live in DM long. And Cliff driving 3+ hours to deal drugs might simply be a matter of "don't shit where you eat" (plus, if he lives in southern Wa., it would make sense to have northern connections for smuggling purposes -- we all know Canada is the hotbed of sin in the TP universe!). Honestly, from a real-world standpoint, it seems pretty obvious that DKL simply wanted HDS in this particular scene, and didn't put too much thought into logistics. I have no problem believing that Carl moved back to his childhood town of TP and opened a new trailer park there, and -- through fate or Lodge intervention -- another electrical pole with the same numbering again factors into his life in a prominent way.
Exactly. The idea that Twin Peaks and Deer Meadow are closely neighboring towns (much less easy walking distance!) makes no sense for a bunch of reasons. The Canada drug trade and Jaques specifically is the connection between Cliff and Teresa and Twin Peaks. Leland finds Teresa through Flesh World, and she probably ended up in that magazine as a result of her connection to Jaques--same way she met Laura and Ronette. It's implied more than once in FWWM and TMP that Leland has to travel to meet with Teresa--it's part of how he keeps that aspect of his life separate from his respectable life in TP. I can totally buy Laura and Ronette meeting with Teresa somewhere between Deer Meadow and Twin Peaks for the aborted foursome with Leland. And I can certainly imagine Cliff driving up near the boarder to pull off whatever scam he had intended before getting shot by Bobby.

The only element that seems to be bothering people, geography-wise, is the electrical pole. The numbers on the pole are obviously meant to evoke FWWM and reinforce the connection to Carl--it doesn't matter where it is, geographically speaking. If it's supposed to be at that intersection where the hit and run occurred (and this isn't clear, one way or another) than the identical numbers could just be one of those wonderful Peaksy bits of synchronicity.

After all: "Coincidence and fate figure largely in our lives."
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Unrelated, but another popular topic of conversation: For me, what makes Red so cool is the way Getty plays his motions as simultaneously super-confident AND hesitant. In regards to confidence/precision, someone mentioned "karate-era Elvis," which is pretty close to the mark. But in several places, he seems to question his movements (e.g., starting to extend two fingers on his left hand, then thinking better of it and making the gesture with his right instead). This makes him simultaneously funny, creepy, unsettling, vulnerable, and unpredictable.
Totally agree! I loved the Red scene and I thought Getty was awesomely unbalanced. I'm also scared for Shelly if she's digging this dude.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

counterpaul wrote:The only element that seems to be bothering people, geography-wise, is the electrical pole. The numbers on the pole are obviously meant to evoke FWWM and reinforce the connection to Carl--it doesn't matter where it is, geographically speaking. If it's supposed to be at that intersection where the hit and run occurred (and this isn't clear, one way or another) than the identical numbers could just be one of those wonderful Peaksy bits of synchronicity.
It's worth noting that the iconic Pilot "traffic light" shot was reused in this Part in the middle of a Dougie sequence with no connection to the town of TP whatsoever, to signify the presence of Mike/the Red Room. So using the pole as a sort of talisman for Carl's continued association with the Lodges/supernatural has precedent in this very episode.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

wxray wrote:
federicomiozzo wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:
Yes! I want people to talk about this. Is the 5 digit number on the pole a zip code? What is the purpose of the single 6 on the pole? When I say purpose, I mean the real life purpose, not what it might symbolize.

What puzzles me (drives me nut) is that that's THE pole of FWWM, the No. 6 pole that was "somehow" linked to the No. 7 on the elevator for at the FBI Headquarters where Jeffries happered. Lynch put THAT specific pole (which is the SAME one of FWWM) for a porpouse. What's really puzzling is that if the trailer was moved from Deer Meadow to TP, how could the pole move too?! It is not just a pole it's THE pole. Electricity/Garmombozia eating pole.
The yellow numbers are defined by the utility. Each utility has a different way of identifying poles. Many have mixed numbers and letters. The use of these yellow numbers is quite standard. This is not a zip/postal code in the real world. Who knows what the yellow numbers are here. Might be a clue.

The "6" is just pure Lynch. It is not uncommon, however, for people to put up their own junk on poles to identify things. Small example: a business may number poles for emergency groupings from a building evac.polenumbers.JPG
Thank you. I wanted to post something along these lines, but just didn't have the motivation to go find an image of a pole with a utility assigned serial number on it. Your explanation is very welcomed and hopefully will put an end to the noise about "pole number 6."
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I took Coop looking from "Bud" Mullins's boxing poster (presumably a young Don Murray from some film?) down to the flesh-and-blood Bushnell before him to be a contemplation on aging, and on the years Coop himself has lost.
Ha, a much more sophisticated reading than my first thought at seeing Coop ape that boxing poster. I was frightened of Ike "the Spike" hitman showing up and thought that lackadaisical Coop springing into action with a KO punch might be less jarring if we were shown that his burnt brains were recently contemplating martial arts.
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: I took Coop looking from "Bud" Mullins's boxing poster (presumably a young Don Murray from some film?) down to the flesh-and-blood Bushnell before him to be a contemplation on aging, and on the years Coop himself has lost.
Yeah, to me it looked like Coop was figuring out that the boxer in the photo was the younger version of his boss. Made me think that maybe Cooper is wondering/trying to remember who he used to be...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Potentially interesting moment: When Officer Reynaldo says Dougie/Coop has an obsession with his badge, Jayne-E explains, "He likes -- " then stops speaking. She could have provided a rare insight into the real Dougie's (RIP) personality! He likes what? Did Dougie have a fixation for law enforcement / cop movies, hinting at his origins as a decoy Cooper? Or was Jayne-E simply going to finish the sentence with "shiny things" (which was my first thought based on what we know of Dougie)?

(Also: Jayne-E says "noon-thirty." I rather like that, and am tempted to start using it. But does anyone actually say that?! Is it a regional thng?)