Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Jonah »

People can be reactionary and impatient, but they can also make valid criticisms and should be able to air their disappointments without being pounced on. No wonder some people have moved to the other thread. Cut it out guys. We're all entitled to our views. I'm not jumping on anyone who's loving this revival - in fact, I envy those who are and have never once demeaned anyone for loving what I find disappointing or slow. I'm not going to be pounced on. Back off please and let's keep things civil.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Besides Annie, I can't see shit. I love all of you crazy people that you actually manage to decipher it!
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I think that's definitely the word "Annie" - and that is very very exciting. I also think "hand" could be there too. What I'm unsure of is the "i's". They look almost like c's. But lots of people loop their i's.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

I agree Jonah and while I actually do really enjoy most of the show I'm not in the everything is perfect and this is better than the original category either. I'm kind of in the middle waiting to see how it goes but enjoying the ride for the most part.

But having someone tell me my views are wrong is as elitist as it gets.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Well said WL. I just think this series is going to be very divisive but I don't understand why any criticism - or even an implied criticism - on the show has to be argued with. For example, if I watch a scene and hate it, but I come on here and see someone else posting "That scene was amazing and so fast-paced", I don't feel the need to say "Well, clearly you are easily pleased and will love anything Lynch does." At most I might - in my own separate 'review' - say "I found that scene turgid and slow".

Ugh, I don't get why people have to argue. I think what makes this board so interesting and diverse is how everyone has a different view. So what if some hate it, so what if some love it, and so what if some are in the middle. We're all experiencing this journey in different ways. And some people might not like the new series but either like the old show - or Lynch - enough to stick with it. Or they might love it but hate the original show. Etc.
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
federicomiozzo

Post by federicomiozzo »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Btw, there was some discussion above about the location of Deer Meadow: people seem to variously feel it could be anywhere from TP's neighboring town to Oregon! For the record, the Pilot makes clear that Teresa was murdered in the southwestern corner of "this state," i.e., Washington. Twin Peaks, per Coop in the Pilot, is in the northeasterm corner of the state (not that future episodes were super consistent with this). The two towns should be hours from each other. Mark's book seems to oddly make them neighbors. So far, TP:TR leaves this ambiguous (Carl might have merely moved and built the NEW Fat Trout near Twin Peaks), but the electrical pole is puzzling.
THIS TBH I don't get it and can't write get it out of my head.
johndaker
Roadhouse Member

Post by johndaker »

Looks to me like "trying to" and then "Atone" (though I'd much rather it said "Annie"!)
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

The thing about opinions is that everyone is allowed to have one. And one valid opinion is that fans can be so reactionary and impatient that they misjudge a story.

That's not pouncing on people. That's just expressing a reasonable view.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
C-Lee

Post by C-Lee »

Just enjoy the ride.
Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elad Repooc »

Great episode. Just when I got settled into the pace of the long, drawn out scenes, a kid gets run over and it all becomes beautifully horrific.

I don't quite get why people are getting tired of Dougie Cooper, though. I'm finding his scenes funny and moving. I almost feel like wanting him to wake up is like wanting to know who killed Laura Palmer. You desperately want it, but then when you get it you realise it means it's all over.

I feel like Dougie Cooper is the Laura Palmer of The Return. If he wakes up half too soon, maybe that would be just as much of a mistake as when Laura Palmer's killer was revealed too soon in Season 2.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:The thing about opinions is that everyone is allowed to have one. And one valid opinion is that fans can be so reactionary and impatient that they misjudge a story.

I don't think its justified though. Impatient is one thing getting tired of a repetitive story line that hasn't shown much progress at all is a completely rational and justified opinion to have. Even Lynch seems like he is getting tired of or why else would he have the "You need to wake up" bit in there. Maybe that's the point it's suppose to be stretching on too long and be annoying for the viewers or maybe not. Who knows.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:The thing about opinions is that everyone is allowed to have one. And one valid opinion is that fans can be so reactionary and impatient that they misjudge a story.

Sorry but I don't think it's expressing a reasonable view. I get the point - and I do agree people can misjudge a story early on when they haven't seen the whole. But the language "reactionary and impatient" is very strongly worded and borderline antagonistic. But I don't want to continue this discussion further. Let's leave it there.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:

Even Lynch seems like he is getting tired of or why else would he have the "You need to wake up" bit in there. Maybe that's the point it's suppose to be stretching on too long and be annoying for the viewers or maybe not. Who knows.
Ha! Yes, that did seem like a bit of tongue-in-cheek meta commentary from Lynch. I like the Dougie stuff because I think Kyle plays it beautifully, I just don't think it's progressing much. Someone else said they think it could have been done in half the amount of time and I agree with that. I would have liked to see an intriguing dialogue scene between Albert and Diane, for example, than Dougie scribbling - for so long - on those notepads, or another scene in that office building.
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

federicomiozzo wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Btw, there was some discussion above about the location of Deer Meadow: people seem to variously feel it could be anywhere from TP's neighboring town to Oregon! For the record, the Pilot makes clear that Teresa was murdered in the southwestern corner of "this state," i.e., Washington. Twin Peaks, per Coop in the Pilot, is in the northeasterm corner of the state (not that future episodes were super consistent with this). The two towns should be hours from each other. Mark's book seems to oddly make them neighbors. So far, TP:TR leaves this ambiguous (Carl might have merely moved and built the NEW Fat Trout near Twin Peaks), but the electrical pole is puzzling.
THIS TBH I don't get it and can't write get it out of my head.
Yes! I want people to talk about this. Is the 5 digit number on the pole a zip code? What is the purpose of the single 6 on the pole? When I say purpose, I mean the real life purpose, not what it might symbolize.
Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elad Repooc »

3600.jpg
3600.jpg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 8930 times
"I will saw your head open and eat your brains if you fuck me over"