Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cipher
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Cipher »

Plot stuff:

- I instantly thought of Lodge spirit (or whatever they are) possession during the Jerry foot scene, which is an event that happens in Twin Peaks' world, but which we've never witnessed in real time.

- Briggs' note contains the symbol seen on the doppelganger's card at the start of the season, placed over one of the "peaks". All paths do indeed seem to be converging at one of the entrances to the Lodge, and finding out how and when to access that entrance is apparently the doppelganger's main goal.

- At the same time, all paths seem to be on their way to converging on Cooper, as running the prints and DNA from the mug are going to send another ping to the FBI.

- Principal Hastings mentioning that there were "so many people" in the alternate dimension. Souls? The White Lodge as Heaven, or the realm interpreted by people in the world of Twin Peaks as being Heaven?

Reaction:

That was a very plotty episode, but we still managed one moment of unexpected beauty as the scene in the station transitioned into Cooper's POV as he looked at the flag. I love the way those creep up hypnotically on the viewer. Lynch continues to get maximum mileage out of the uncanny omnipresence of electricity. We also got a moment of unexpected fear in the scene with Jerry's foot, which I found genuinely frightening despite its off-beat humor. Could've actually done with more low droning there.

Also, the Buckhorn coroner is my favorite new character. I love her.
Taperecorder wrote:The website is just a commercial for the soundtrack. Sort of cool, I guess?
Yeah, my first instinct is that people are reading too much into things if they expect it to be a full interactive experience of any importance. It's just a fun thing to do with a URL they had to buy for the show.
camel1206

Post by camel1206 »

Cipher wrote:Plot stuff:

Taperecorder wrote:The website is just a commercial for the soundtrack. Sort of cool, I guess?
Yeah, my first instinct is that people are reading too much into things if they expect it to be a full interactive experience of any importance. It's just a fun thing to do with a URL they had to buy for the show.

I agree, there likely won't be anything substantial, but we got time to kill before next Sunday. Will help pass the time lol
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

torifreak2018 wrote:
images.jpg
[/img]
Hester Prynne wrote:
garethw wrote:
I'm racking my brain of Twin Peaks trivia and trying to figure out the significance of the red shoes he fixates on. All I can come up with was Lill, but that doesn't seem to fit.

Anyone got anything else?
Audrey's shoes
No.
America the beautiful + red shoes = Disne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Audrey Horne wrote:You're probably right. It's not like Lynch is in love with the Pilot and FWWM or anything. The red shoes are clearly Diane, and the red drapes.
Giggling.

I'm just embarrassed I didn't remember your red shoes from the pilot - just the black and white ones.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Yeah, Diane is no spy. Bad Coop is just stalking her.

No sign that BOB's left Bad Coop.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

So Andy has time to argue with Lucy about what color chair to buy? I assume that he hasn't taken the hit and run driver into custody or found "The Farmer" yet.
GoodMorningAmerica
Roadhouse Member

Post by GoodMorningAmerica »

camel1206 wrote:http://thesearchforthezone.com/media/radio.mp4

There is link when you click on older entries, audiophiles can enjoy picking that one apart.
Love it. This takes me back to the days when I had to sit by the radio and twist the dials searching for my favorite song. David and Mark are taking us back to the time when we used to have to wait for things, and it's beautiful.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Cipher wrote: Also, the Buckhorn coroner is my favorite new character. I love her.
Yeah, I really enjoy her, too. Is she making eyes at Albert?
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

garethw wrote:Yeah, I really enjoy her, too. Is she making eyes at Albert?
They both love jokes and the series is going to end with their wedding, which Major Briggs foresaw.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Right, I forgot about Andy and the case of the hit and run driver honor system.

And disappointed the Betty (who I guess blew up in a car) wasn't Betty Briggs on the run with the knowledge of the coordinates.

I finally paid attention the name of characters in the credits, watching like a hawk if Skye played Linda... Nope on that one too.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Esselgee wrote:So Andy has time to argue with Lucy about what color chair to buy? I assume that he hasn't taken the hit and run driver into custody or found "The Farmer" yet.
Is it future, or is it past?

I've had the distinct impression right from the start that the various fragments may be presented less chronologically than may first appear. I think this episode highlighted that - the 10/1 dates (a couple of days from now), and Hasting signing 9/20.

Or maybe it's just slightly sloppy story-telling. I'm sort of on the fence. :)
GoodMorningAmerica
Roadhouse Member

Post by GoodMorningAmerica »

garethw wrote:
Cipher wrote: Also, the Buckhorn coroner is my favorite new character. I love her.
I assumed Albert was "indisposed" because he was spending quality time with Constance. Sparks were definitely flying between those two. I love her, she is a perfect compliment to Albert.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Cipher wrote:
garethw wrote:Yeah, I really enjoy her, too. Is she making eyes at Albert?
They both love jokes and the series is going to end with their wedding, which Major Briggs foresaw.
Unfortunately, they can't find the ring, because Major Briggs ate that one, too.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

GoodMorningAmerica wrote:
garethw wrote:
I assumed Albert was "indisposed" because he was spending quality time with Constance. Sparks were definitely flying between those two. I love her, she is a perfect compliment to Albert.
I briefly thought that, then decided he was using the facilities, which they then stand around waiting for. Which is a pretty Lynchian thing to do.

(I have another joke about the aforementioned nearby town of Jolly Dump, but I won't. Or I guess I just did.)
Eirikur

Q

Post by Eirikur »

Bill's web site. I wanted to link directly to the video that plays the music. The site author doesn't want me to do that. People should be more polite to me on the web, really. I put on my forensics hat and found that the clues were lurking in plain sight. There's no reason to be loading the JQuery code from a local file, if you've already loaded it from a fast web service, but only the gifted and the damned would be likely to catch you at it. Well, maybe. It's actually more clear that this isn't that well hidden.

http://thesearchforthezone.com/js/script.min.js is the script that plays the video. I haven't figured out how to make that happen remotely yet.