'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by Agent Earle »

eyeboogers wrote:The reason why it's ridiculous that some people are already expressing that they wouldn't want more "Twin Peaks" after this season, is that many people had the same stance before season 3 was announced. They were scared that the legacy would be tarnished and that it would impact their love of the show. Some even felt it would be a sellout move by Lynch/Frost. However, I have not once in the past year come across any post stating that they wished the new season wasn't happening.
Exactly.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

eyeboogers wrote: However, I have not once in the past year come across any post stating that they wished the new season wasn't happening.
I WISH THE NEW SEASON WASN'T HAPPENING!
There, now you're wrong. :P

Joking, of course.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rad.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

eyeboogers wrote:The reason why it's ridiculous that some people are already expressing that they wouldn't want more "Twin Peaks" after this season, is that many people had the same stance before season 3 was announced. They were scared that the legacy would be tarnished and that it would impact their love of the show. Some even felt it would be a sellout move by Lynch/Frost. However, I have not once in the past year come across any post stating that they wished the new season wasn't happening.
I think it's still valid. The new series happened, so we might as well see what it is, but I think the chances are strong that it will not live up to the high points of the original material.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

4815162342 wrote:The new series happened, so we might as well see what it is, but I think the chances are strong that it will not live up to the high points of the original material.
Well, if you're holding a gun to our head...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

4815162342 wrote:
I think it's still valid. The new series happened, so we might as well see what it is, but I think the chances are strong that it will not live up to the high points of the original material.
I think that with the original creators 100% involved, rather than being absentee parents as they were for much of the original run, we're likely to get a series that consistently hits the highs of Episodes 2, 8, 14, and 29. For me, this feels like an opportunity for them to finally deliver on the full potential of the original show.
kupe

Post by kupe »

Honestly, I expect this season to be superior to the original. Original creators with full control, 26 years of experience under their belts, greater technology and resources. TV in general is far superior nowadays, and I think TP2017 won't be the exception.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

4815162342 wrote:The new series happened, so we might as well see what it is, but I think the chances are strong that it will not live up to the high points of the original material.
hot take
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

There are plenty of examples to show that getting the right people involved, many years after the fact, does not guarantee something as good as the original. There is a lot that contributes to the greatness of something, including factors that are not so easily repeatable. The original series is flawed, everyone knows that, but I'm shocked people think the new series will easily be better. I say: why are we all here? It's not the new series.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

It's not?
I'll see you in the trees
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

Rainwater wrote:It's not?
LOL. My point is, no one has seen it, and the only reason people care so much is the original series. If it was a brand new show, there would be interest, but not on this level. Seriously, the level of detailed speculation is overwhelming.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Seconded, that's the only reason I'm here currently. I wouldn't have spent too much time here circa 2012 for instance, certainly not checking in multiple times a day. No offense to original/long time board members :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

4815162342 wrote:
LOL. My point is, no one has seen it, and the only reason people care so much is the original series. If it was a brand new show, there would be interest, but not on this level. Seriously, the level of detailed speculation is overwhelming.
If Lynch were directing and cowriting every episode of any TV series, I would be just as excited as I am about this upcoming season (albeit in a slightly different way). TP was my introduction to Lynch's work, and its high points still rank among my favorite stuff ever (of his and in general), but new TP done by anyone but him (even if he were directing a few hours here and there, as on the original) just would not get me as excited as the premise of him directing a full season of television. Any full season of television. So, for me (and I suspect many others), I absolutely WOULD have the same level interest if this were a brand-new show directed by Lynch.

That said, despite long stretches of the show that feel pedestrian and unrewarding at best and embarrassing at worst, TP is still one of my favorite worlds of Lynch's (possibly my absolute favorite, with only Eraserhead as a possible challenger). The thought of him playing in that sandbox again, completely on his own terms and without delegating, is certainly thrilling to me. But I don't care at all if the show does or doesn't feel like the original -- I just want it to blow my mind and touch my soul the way almost all of Lynch's works have.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

4815162342 wrote:There are plenty of examples to show that getting the right people involved, many years after the fact, does not guarantee something as good as the original. There is a lot that contributes to the greatness of something, including factors that are not so easily repeatable. The original series is flawed, everyone knows that, but I'm shocked people think the new series will easily be better.
You seem fun.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
saygoodbyetojack
Roadhouse Member

Post by saygoodbyetojack »

N. Needleman wrote:
4815162342 wrote:There are plenty of examples to show that getting the right people involved, many years after the fact, does not guarantee something as good as the original. There is a lot that contributes to the greatness of something, including factors that are not so easily repeatable. The original series is flawed, everyone knows that, but I'm shocked people think the new series will easily be better.
You seem fun.
Ha ha

I defo agree with people saying it's generally very very hard to repeat something so good the second time around but the fact that Lynch AND Frost are running the whole show completely this time with the ups and downs of the original show under their belts is enough to suggest to me that I can get extremely excited about this next TP chapter. Lynchs magic is only going to get better and better with age so I have no worries whatsoever about this and REALLY hope there's more to come after this season if Lynch and Frost are both up for it