Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Stavrogyn »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:18 pm They shot the last few episodes of Fargo season 4 back in August, before there was even a vaccine, and they looked pretty indistinguishable from the earlier pre-pandemic episodes.
I really enjoyed Fargo season 4. The third season seemed like a rehash of the first two - which were great - but the fourth one was a breath of fresh air and a return to form, in my opinion.

À propos Unrecorded Night; as Soolsma implied, I don't think we have to worry about it content-wise: if Lynch is indeed making it at this point in time, it is because he feels he can achieve exactly what he wants despite the potential restrictions. And as Lars von Trier said in that Donald Duck interview from half a year ago, obstructions are often more than helpful in the process of creating art!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Stavrogyn wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:01 am I really enjoyed Fargo season 4. The third season seemed like a rehash of the first two - which were great - but the fourth one was a breath of fresh air and a return to form, in my opinion.
Hmm. I rather enjoyed the third. And notice the fourth got less good reviews. But I should definitely give it a go, thanks for the reminder :) Will feel strange to watch Fargo without the northern accents though, not to mention the change of era.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Soolsma wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:00 am
Stavrogyn wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:01 am I really enjoyed Fargo season 4. The third season seemed like a rehash of the first two - which were great - but the fourth one was a breath of fresh air and a return to form, in my opinion.
Hmm. I rather enjoyed the third. And notice the fourth got less good reviews. But I should definitely give it a go, thanks for the reminder :) Will feel strange to watch Fargo without the northern accents though, not to mention the change of era.
I'm a fan of the music and generally the aesthetics of that era, so that helped. And I don't think that season 3 was bad at all; there were some strong points, like Varga (who has, appropriately, the same last name as my least favorite professor I ever had at the university), Ray Wise (of course), and my compatriot Goran Bogdan (whom I passed by on the street recently).

I just think that season 3 relied too much both stylistically and thematically on the first two installments, while the fourth one took a step into another direction, thus making it more unique, while still staying undeniably Fargo.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Soolsma wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:26 pm
JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:22 pm The recent Walking Dead season stood out to me as a covid shoot. The throngs of zombies from before were reduced A lot of 2-3 people centered episodes. one episode was like 60 % or so carol chasing a rat in a house.
Maybe we'll have an episode that's 60% sweeping the roadhouse floor then! :lol:

But if we're getting that, it's because Lynch envisioned it in the first place. Him having the realization of his vision impaired by COVID restrictions just wouldn't fit the ''boundary-less'' that Dern implied. I'd expect him (and other involved) to rather be patient for more opportunities to than just making ends to create a product to sell pronto. The Walking Dead, a series that imo has been ever deteriorating since it's conception by Darabont, is to me a prime example for making sacrifices (such as lack story direction, oof) just to push product.
JackwithOnEye - I agree with your assessment of Walking Dead being a noticeable Covid shoot, but I believe that it is a bad example to cite in terms of how future productions may go. Those episodes were seemingly only shot BECAUSE of Covid, rather than in spite of it. Episodes 1 - 16 are the official Season 10, while the other six that were tacked on and aired earlier this year strike me as being done mostly in order to get the industry moving again. At any rate, if Covid never happened then the season would have ended, as always intended, at episode 16 and that would be that. That 16th episode aired in October 2020, well after episode 15, because it was incomplete. Along with its completion came the announcement that the season would be extended to an additional six episodes. Those six episodes, which aired four months later, strike me as nothing more than a Covid experiment to get people working again. The biggest shame is that those six episodes were shot digitally, and that has influenced the production of the final season, which will also be shot digitally, destroying the whole aesthetic. Say what you want about The Walking Dead (and I think that it was good throughout its first five seasons (and that the Darabont-run first season is far from its best) and felt rejuvenated in its 10th), but one objectively noteworthy characteristic is that it was one of the last holdouts still shooting on film - up until these six, unnecessary, tacked-on episodes.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Hey, everyone! I see a few new posters around here and some of my old buddies (hey, Mordeen!). It's been years since I posted but recently I've been checking this thread regularly and finally decided to weigh in with my thoughts on Lynch's new project. So, here's my two cents. A year ago, a source I fully trust privately informed me that Lynch did in fact make a deal with Netflix to make a limited series (that info came from someone connected to Netflix) but the pandemic obviously put that on hold. They didn't know what the project was but they knew a deal had been made, and that's as much as I know but I do trust the source and I believe that to be true. Now, the question that's been on my mind (and everyone else's around here) is whether that project is in fact TP Season 4 or a new original series. However, one issue that I've been thinking about and that I haven't seen raised here before is the issue of Netflix licensing the previous seasons and FWWM.

If this is indeed Season 4, Netflix would presumably have to license S1, S2, S3 and FWWM so that people could catch up all in one place and of course to bring in new fans so that the audience is not only limited to the existing fans. The current rights vary widely across the globe: for example, I've been told that Netflix Latin America actually has all 3 seasons but not FWWM; I believe Netflix US has S1/S2 only; and Netflix in Europe where I am has none. So that would mean that Netflix would have to spend a considerable amount of money in order to license all three seasons and FWWM for its services around the world (Friends cost 100 million dollars for one year in 2020; I don't know how much TP would cost but we're still talking millions). Now, yes, I understand that Netflix could afford it since they have seemingly unlimited resources. However, Netflix is no longer in the business of licensing content from other providers but in the much more lucrative business of creating its own content they could use in perpetuity. In other words, yes they can afford it, but does it make business sense? If I were Sarandos, I'd rather use that money and put it in the production of content I fully own and can distribute across Netflix's worldwide platforms. Of course they could make some kind of deal with Showtime/CBS and MK2 but again we're still talking a lot of money for licensing someone else's content, especially for longer periods of time.

So, for that reason it seems unlikely to me that this will turn out to be TP S4. At least not in the conventional sense. Could this be some kind of a spin-off? Or a project set in the world of Twin Peaks but only tangentially related to what came previously (something that would not require the knowledge of previous seasons and FWWM)? Perhaps a project in which old actors are playing new characters? Or what seems to me most likely to be the case - a completely new and original project (something "radical" as Laura Dern called it)? I will admit that I am rather skeptical when it comes to some of the clues that have been discussed around here and find most to be pure conjecture and wishful thinking, and honestly I don't read absolutely anything into TP cast members posting or retweeting photos and videos of wisteria, shushing, etc. other than them being just as curious as we are and having some fun with the rumors. I don't buy that any of those really amount to any evidence one way or another but I do believe my original source and that Lynch is working on something (whatever that turns out to be) and that he's simply delayed by the considerable challenges of filming during the pandemic.

Now, of course once upon a time I was totally skeptical about S3 happening (and according to my old posts, I didn't even want it to happen WTF?! :lol: ) so I could be wrong but I'm leaning toward this being an original project or perhaps one set in the world of TP but not requiring the knowledge of S1, S2, S3 and FWWM. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts, including Agent Earle whom I disagree with 99.99% of time but whose posts I still find highly amusing to read. :D
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

LateReg wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:46 amSay what you want about The Walking Dead (and I think that it was good throughout its first five seasons (and that the Darabont-run first season is far from its best) and felt rejuvenated in its 10th)
For me it went downhill from the first few episodes, which Darabont was most involved in, I think he directed the first. I remember being impressed by that huge mob of zombies in the city, surrounding the events in that tank, and thinking: 'wow this has high production value for a series!'. Then I never saw much of that back. I'll admit to having watched a bunch of seasons more, but in the end I found myself skipping through them to get to the obvious plot points.

If you wouldn't mind, perhaps in spoiler tags (?), what is it that makes season 10 better?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Soolsma wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:40 pm
LateReg wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:46 amSay what you want about The Walking Dead (and I think that it was good throughout its first five seasons (and that the Darabont-run first season is far from its best) and felt rejuvenated in its 10th)
For me it went downhill from the first few episodes, which Darabont was most involved in, I think he directed the first. I remember being impressed by that huge mob of zombies in the city, surrounding the events in that tank, and thinking: 'wow this has high production value for a series!'. Then I never saw much of that back. I'll admit to having watched a bunch of seasons more, but in the end I found myself skipping through them to get to the obvious plot points.

If you wouldn't mind, perhaps in spoiler tags (?), what is it that makes season 10 better?
Haha, well, no spoiler tags necessary. Sorry to drive this way off-topic after underthefan's great post, but I'll answer this really quickly. "Better" is a relative term, so let's just say that for me Seasons 1 - 5 were surprisingly good, Season 6 was half-good, and Seasons 7 and 8 became actively bad television. Infuriatingly bad, actually. Season 9 at least tried to regroup, but it still felt tired to me. The early seasons never felt tired to me - I binged them, so I never felt it was spinning its wheels or anything, and I enjoyed how the repetition of the killing of zombies was both inventively handled and something that reflected the psychological states of the protagonists, and how the characters were almost always on the move and none of them were safe and could be killed off at any moment, and each setting yielded new danger, enhanced by an increasingly Carpenter-esque soundtrack. At some point, as you know, the protags either stopped moving or the series had to manufacture reasons for them to encounter new danger, often splitting up the group to focus on one or two boring characters at a time, the pacing was way off, every plot development arose out of sheer stupidity coupled with excessive plot armor and a total miscalculation when it came to a central villain, and it all just lazily wore out its welcome. So, the 10th Season was the first I purely enjoyed all the way through since the 5th, and the specific word I'd use is "rejuvenated" because regardless of how good it is, it just no longer felt tired to me. The pacing was snappier, there were barely any episodes featuring characters on pointless missions, multiple things were happening at the same time in many of the episodes (in one episode alone, four separate storylines are continuously cut between: two main characters are out on a hunt for bad guys; another main character is canoodling with said bad guys; a flu is sweeping through the camp as certain characters search for a solution; and another main character is talking to some unknowns on a radio), and plot twists were sometimes surprising and barely any plot developments were the result of the moronic, against-character decisions that began to dominate the series, and it even broke with the typical formula set by previous seasons. The few journeys to new locations have a spark to them, as well, with one seeming straight out of 80s movies like Night of the Comet, and they're actually having some fun with some of the musical choices as well as the revelation of the new Big Bad, a bit of madness which reminded me of something Romero was building toward in Day and Land of the Dead. But then the wildly stupid/ironic thing is that the six tacked-on Covid episodes strike me as unquestionably the weakest, most tired episodes of the entire run! But along the same lines the really interesting thing is that the climax of Season 10's actual finale (episode 16) required a ton of people/zombies to be crammed altogether as an integral and intricate component of the plot, which you most certainly could not do during Covid times. So it just makes a really interesting juxtaposition going from the actual, mass-populated, shot-on-film finale to the tacked-on, sparse, shot-on-digital Covid-era episodes. Gives you a lot to ponder in that regard.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Dark Wood Moods persist in the absence of the owls.

imilii, lis

batsg, wkwow
Moving Through Time. . .
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

underthefan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:20 pm

Perhaps a project in which old actors are playing new characters? Or what seems to me most likely to be the case - a completely new and original project (something "radical" as Laura Dern called it)? I will admit that I am rather skeptical when it comes to some of the clues that have been discussed around here and find most to be pure conjecture and wishful thinking, and honestly I don't read absolutely anything into TP cast members posting or retweeting photos and videos of wisteria, shushing, etc. other than them being just as curious as we are and having some fun with the rumors. I don't buy that any of those really amount to any evidence one way or another but I do believe my original source and that Lynch is working on something (whatever that turns out to be) and that he's simply delayed by the considerable challenges of filming during the pandemic.
Greetings Underthefan!

Regarding Dern's words about what Lynch is working on, I take her to be responding as an actress to the opportunities the project will offer for her. As in, it could still be Twin Peaks but she could play both Diane and another character, or transform whilst trapped in a jail cell. :lol: So there would be no boundaries for her as an actress.

In terms of 'radical', what Lynch project has not been that in one way or another? You mention 'radical' as in an original project but without knowing what that project could be, its hard to know how it could be more radical than more Twin Peaks that was completely different to what we might expect.

Lastly, with regards to Kyle MacLachlan and a number of the Twin Peaks cast up to Sherilyn Fenn posting the #wisteria photo craze, there is no doubt that has to link in with this new project. All of these cast members must meet-up in a Zoom call and discuss posting these Wisteria things - that doesn't mean that they know precisely how it relates to a new project though of course. We saw a photo of one Zoom meeting, during this pandemic I fully expect the Twin Peaks alumni have checked in with each other similarly.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LateReg wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:38 pm often splitting up the group to focus on one or two boring characters at a time
The actual reason this is done is to keep costs down. That's why central characters are missing from so many episodes.
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

Mordeen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:49 pm Dark Wood Moods persist in the absence of the owls.

imilii, lis

batsg, wkwow
you are killing me
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

underthefan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:20 pm I've been told that Netflix Latin America actually has all 3 seasons but not FWWM
Thats not the case, at least in Argentina, the only thing on Netflix is THE RETURN.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

LateReg wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:38 pm
Soolsma wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:40 pm
. But then the wildly stupid/ironic thing is that the six tacked-on Covid episodes strike me as unquestionably the weakest, most tired episodes of the entire run! But along the same lines the really interesting thing is that the climax of Season 10's actual finale (episode 16) required a ton of people/zombies to be crammed altogether as an integral and intricate component of the plot, which you most certainly could not do during Covid times. So it just makes a really interesting juxtaposition going from the actual, mass-populated, shot-on-film finale to the tacked-on, sparse, shot-on-digital Covid-era episodes. Gives you a lot to ponder in that regard.

I have a hard time keeping Walking Dead seasons straight. I don't consider it any great show.

The all-out war stuff with Negan was cool. It reminded me of recess in elementary school. The Samantha Morton whisperer stuff was alright, the covid episodes with Carol hunting down a rat by herself in a house sucked. I love Jeanne Dielaman, but watching Carol look for a rat, cant do it.

The Negan backstory episode was okay, but covid prevented us from seeing anything of him actually as a gym teacher interacting with a class of high school students, mostly just described etc. His wife's cancer diagnosis was just a CU of her face with a doctor's voice off screen, so many obvious covid shortcuts.

Jennifer Lynch directed a few eps pre Negan era.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

David Lich wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:16 pm
underthefan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:20 pm I've been told that Netflix Latin America actually has all 3 seasons but not FWWM
Thats not the case, at least in Argentina, the only thing on Netflix is THE RETURN.
Ah, so maybe I misunderstood. For some reason, I thought it was all three seasons.
NormoftheAndes wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:55 pm
Greetings Underthefan!

Regarding Dern's words about what Lynch is working on, I take her to be responding as an actress to the opportunities the project will offer for her. As in, it could still be Twin Peaks but she could play both Diane and another character, or transform whilst trapped in a jail cell. :lol: So there would be no boundaries for her as an actress.

In terms of 'radical', what Lynch project has not been that in one way or another? You mention 'radical' as in an original project but without knowing what that project could be, its hard to know how it could be more radical than more Twin Peaks that was completely different to what we might expect.

Lastly, with regards to Kyle MacLachlan and a number of the Twin Peaks cast up to Sherilyn Fenn posting the #wisteria photo craze, there is no doubt that has to link in with this new project. All of these cast members must meet-up in a Zoom call and discuss posting these Wisteria things - that doesn't mean that they know precisely how it relates to a new project though of course. We saw a photo of one Zoom meeting, during this pandemic I fully expect the Twin Peaks alumni have checked in with each other similarly.
Hey, Norm! You could very well be right about what Dern was referring to. And I agree about the idea of what "radical" could mean. Certainly Inland Empire could be considered radical for a film and so could The Return when it comes to cable TV. I'm still skeptical as far as what TP cast members may know and how much we should read into their posts. As far as I remember, no cast members other than Kyle knew for sure about The Return until the Lynch/Frost joint tweets. So I would believe that Kyle and Laura may know something, but very much doubt about Andrea, Sherilyn or Michael. I think they're just as curious as we are and having a bit of fun with the rumors. I guess we'll have to wait to find out but guessing is definitely fun!
kingchatterbox

Post by kingchatterbox »

Mordeen wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:59 pm imilii, lis

Being in the key of C.

- Mordeen
Mordeen wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:44 am
Soolsma wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:55 pm VJG EQY LWORGF QXGT VJG OQQP

Image > Image
I see you found the key of C.

- Mordeen

Same key of C? Or related?