Things I wish we'd seen...

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mikeindustry
Roadhouse Member

Re: Things I wish we'd seen...

Post by Mikeindustry »

I agree with the many calls for more of the Hayward girls.

I would prefer, in retrospect, having seen the whole thing play out - a LOT more Black Lodge stuff. As the show aired, it seemed to be a cop-y soap - very Lynch, but fairly rooted in reality, dreams and odd-balls aside. In retrospect, now that it's all done, the show can be summed up (as Lynch does with all his films) in a sentence - the sentence being "There's an evil in the woods".

And I sell it that way to new viewers of the show - after all the first arc is about how that evil possessed a guy and killed a few gals, and the second arc is about how Earle tried to get into the Lodge and work it - it's all lodge related, yet the lodge shows up for like... about a total of 2 hours airtime altogether of 30+ hours of the show.

So, having it to do over again - waaaaay more Lodge time.

Finally? I had this idea while the show was on - thought it would be fun to bring Dean Stockwell on for some reason. Having worked with Lynch on Dune and Blue Velvet, and he being close with Russ Tamblyn, I thought he'd make a welcome addition to the show. But I suppose he was under contract to NBC at the time with Quantum Leap.
evdama

Post by evdama »

Nadine/Eds honeymoon hunting accident -a flashback sequence narrated by Ed to Cooper as he waits at Calhoun Memorial.
Alberts sniggering would still be OK.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Personally, I like the fact that there are hardly any flashbacks on the show. It's often much better to leave it to the imagination. The most grating example I can think of is the scene where Samantha Mulder is abducted in the second season premiere of The X-Files. I liked the story of Fox looking for his sister, but that scene - with the bright lights and whatnot - took all the excitement out of it for me. On Twin Peaks, I don't really care all that much for the Laura and James flashback, not to mention the horrid superimposed Caroline. Louise Dombrowski only works because that scene isn't related to the plot at all.

Also there's the very real practical problem of Everett McGill pulling off looking like a 19-year old. Getting a different Big Ed would ruin it for me.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

speaking of the heyward girls, so many things crop up only in lynch directed episodes...

julee cruise/roadhouse band
heyward girls
mike nelson is more prominent
heidi from the diner
sylvia horne
senor droolcup
even BOB has maybe 2 minutes of screentime in non-Lynch episodes

the man definitely had his own vision of the town...
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

-Audrey and Leo interacting would've been interesting - clever tease vs. pyscho
-More Leo and Coop - Coop played Bobby like a flute but had more trouble penetrating Leo in their one meeting
-Audrey and Catherine - young power vs. old seasoned power
-BOB and Earle - raging madman vs. mad genius - I'm big on the drama of villain vs. villain
-Leo and Shelly - where we see glimpses of why she married him - maybe he could make her laugh
-Leo and BOB - pyscho trumped by a raging madman - make Leo show fear and maybe run
-Bobby and Johnny - maybe a weird connection could form to give a punk like Bobby more humanity
-Audrey and Johnny - maybe he would only speak to her, a brother/sis thing
-Hank and Shelly - Hank could have an inexplicable protectiveness of her as a glimpse of the good guy he used to be
-Coop and the Madame - would've loved to see him loose his cool (for once) and have to be restrained by Truman
greg4881

Post by greg4881 »

I think there should have been some better side plots with mysteries.

-Bookhouse Boys: Bringing people like Ed, Bikers, Hawk, and Truman into the fold and describing mysteries from old lore. I could see Hawk going to the White Lodge by taking peyote in a tee pee.

-The biggest tragedy of the second season was what happened between Coop and Audrey after the One Eyed Jack's rescue. At that moment you could see Coop's feelings for Audrey. I would like to have seen more Audrey/Coop/mystery man love triangle relationship, and I always firmly believe Windom Earle would steal Audrey to get to Coop. A cliff hanger that would have been good after Leland was exposed is that Audrey is pregnant but the father is unknown.

-Leo going psycho running around with a hunting rifle and dealing cocaine.

-A plot where Ben Horne tries to get rid of Coop by using his past against him, and I would have liked to have seen the Horne brothers have a group of thugs that do all their dirty work.
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

Should've been revealed in a conversation between Harry and Albert that Diane was not a secretary for the FBI but a psychotherapist - the implication being Coop was just as unstable as Windom Earle; would've raised the stakes on their evolving showdown, since we wouldn't know whether they were both insane or not. And the Lodge sequence would've had more juice.
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

greg4881 wrote: I could see Hawk going to the White Lodge by taking peyote in a tee pee.
I would like to think Lynch and Frost would be more politically correct than that but, then again, that scene wouldn't have been out of the ordinary in The Cowboy and the Frenchman. :lol:
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

greg4881 wrote:I think there should have been some better side plots with mysteries.

-Bookhouse Boys: Bringing people like Ed, Bikers, Hawk, and Truman into the fold and describing mysteries from old lore. I could see Hawk going to the White Lodge by taking peyote in a tee pee.

-The biggest tragedy of the second season was what happened between Coop and Audrey after the One Eyed Jack's rescue. At that moment you could see Coop's feelings for Audrey. I would like to have seen more Audrey/Coop/mystery man love triangle relationship, and I always firmly believe Windom Earle would steal Audrey to get to Coop. A cliff hanger that would have been good after Leland was exposed is that Audrey is pregnant but the father is unknown.

-Leo going psycho running around with a hunting rifle and dealing cocaine.

-A plot where Ben Horne tries to get rid of Coop by using his past against him, and I would have liked to have seen the Horne brothers have a group of thugs that do all their dirty work.

I like all these. What did you have in mind to set up the Aud pregnancy? Would you have put in a scene where Coop could possibly have slept with her to make him a "suspect?" He rebuffed her so repeatedly in Season 1, we'd know it wasn't him.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

Brad D wrote:speaking of the heyward girls, so many things crop up only in lynch directed episodes...

heyward girls
heidi from the diner
sylvia horne
senor droolcup

nice one. those episodes are what made/make twin peaks so amazing. even though mike n, heidi, sylvia and the heyward girls arent the most intresting people - they are very close to the stars of the series and it was always nice to see them together. like some aspects we could see of people's 'normal life' outside the main plots.
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

More Maddy doing something private in Palmer's house.
More Nadine and her "hobby"!
More Sarah!

Roomservice...
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

Brad D wrote:speaking of the heyward girls, so many things crop up only in lynch directed episodes...

heyward girls
heidi from the diner
sylvia horne
senor droolcup

TR and the Pilot one and the SAME
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

More owls
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I wish The Return had more Laura Palmer

and obviously David Bowie, MJA. Ontkean, Heather Graham, Chris Isaac, Kiefer even a Donna, Piper. More Leland

and if we're talking story lines, how bout some young Cooper backstory (maybe a movie of My Life, My Tapes) tho I would prefer Lynch to write it :)
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

James and little Nicky hanging out