The Man Behind the Tree

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

charles
RR Diner Member

The Man Behind the Tree

Post by charles »

I don't know if this has already been discussed here, but I just noticed something about the mystery man behind the tree in episode 2. He's wearing the exact same disguise that Leland wore in episode 7 when he attacks Dr. Jacoby. I imagine that they hadn't yet decided who the mystery man was when they filmed episode 2 (maybe they had), but how creepy would it be if it was in fact Leland! It's vaguely implied that Leo knew that the man was there and who he was, but there's enough ambiguity in his response to Bobby's "who's that?" to make you wonder. In my mind, Leo's half-hearted look behind him and his response, "nevermind", could be interpreted as him not knowing someone else was there and not taking seriously that Bobby actually saw someone. Makes you wonder.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Re: The Man Behind the Tree

Post by Brad D »

i wouldnt be surprised if BOB/Leland wanted to knock off leo. but yeah, this wasnt quite ever explained.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

Could it have been Leland (in a mental state where BOB had receded) and he was personally investigating Leo and Bobby to see if they had something to do with Laura's murder?
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

to me, the only times BOB recedes are when leland is broken down and crying. i also believe once leland kills jacques that he really loses any control he once had and its BOB for all of season 2. i'm not so sure we ever see the 'real' leland in FWWM. its always fun to wonder though