See You In 25 Years

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Diane
RR Diner Member

See You In 25 Years

Post by Diane »

Obviously when Laura says this she means the dream that Dale had....but does anyone else wonder if it also means there could be another movie in 5 years?
SMILLSOID
Roadhouse Member

Re: See You In 25 Years

Post by SMILLSOID »

Possibly. But I've heard strong rumours of a new Twin Peaks TV series.
The Stanley Kubrick Forum - http://stanleykubrick.yuku.com
forgiveness

Post by forgiveness »

I think it is a possibility. I'd only be interested in it if Lynch was behind the wheel though. :)
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

I joined this forum just to chime in on this.

I sincerely hope Twin Peaks is revived, it's a testament to the strength of the characters and indeed their creators that we are still thinking about them 21 years later. Few Television programs have rivaled Twin Peaks, only X-FIles and LOST come to mind, and they certainly weren't better.

I think David Lynch's recent proclivity to self financing and distributing could breathe new life into the franchise. I do not know to what extent CBS Paramount, or ABC "own" the characters or if it's just rights to footage they own. I don't know if it feasible... I hope that it is.

A serialized return to Twin Peaks could be accommodated by premium television service providers like Showtime, HBO, or AMC.

Certainly the actors would be on board, none of them are really involved in anything that would prohibit a reunion. The characters they portrayed were certainly their most memorable, with the exception David Duchovny's Fox Mulder character.

With the mythology of the show being so bizarre and vigorous there's no reason why new characters could not be introduced as well. The only impedance I could see is Frank Silva's death because he was after all the non-corporeal embodiment of BOB. The people who see BOB are the gifted and damned... so many have see him in that form that it would be difficult to change the form. I guess another actor could portray BOB, just as Moria Kelly portrayed Donna in Fire Walk With Me.

Just throwing this out there: there are nearly two hundred thousand "likes" for the Twin Peaks page on Facebook, imagine if every one of those people wrote and mailed a letter to David Lynch asking him to bring back Twin Peaks, I think it would have an impact. Even a web based only series would be something.
Hang loose, Houlies
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I love Twin Peaks more than just about anything else I've ever seen on TV or film. However, I'm not so convinced it should be brought back, and I have a hard time seeing Lynch doing it at this point. Twin Peaks really caught lightning in a bottle 21 years ago, and I'm a little skeptical that that could be repeated. Nor am I sure that I'd like to see them try, as I'm concerned that a less-than-stellar remake/sequel/spin-off could tarnish the legacy of the original. And I suspect Lynch is well aware of this too, since he has indicated in most interviews that he has no desire whatsoever to revive Twin Peaks (and he does legally control the property, or shares it with Frost). And unless Lynch is involved, it isn't really Twin Peaks, at least in my mind (might as well watch AMC's The Killing, in that case!).
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

"The opposite of creativity is cynicism"

I'm not suggesting Twin Peaks return without David Lynch being on board, obviously.
he has no desire whatsoever to revive Twin Peaks
I don't think he's made a statement indicating that, please correct me if I am wrong. In the Slice of Lynch documentary he expressed great fondness for the world Twin Peaks.

I think it is entirely feasible and possible.
Hang loose, Houlies
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I'm not being "cynical," it's just my opinion.

And just because he's fond of Twin Peaks (which he obviously is), that doesn't mean that he would want to bring it back into production. He frequently talks about how it is still alive somewhere in his mind, but he also said in an interview that Twin Peaks is "dead as a doornail" (his words, not mine).

Anyway, at this point, I really can't imagine Lynch doing anything within the traditional production system anymore, whether it's film or TV (especially after what ABC did with "Mulholland Drive"). It seems like most of his output from here on out will be stuff he can do on his own with his own money and resources and without needing to rely on studios, networks, etc.

But hey, by all means, if you can inspire a campaign to bring the show back, I'll be waiting for the series premiere with baited breath! :)
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
intothewildwood

Post by intothewildwood »

Chester Desmond wrote: I guess another actor could portray BOB, just as Moria Kelly portrayed Donna in Fire Walk With Me.
Philip Gerard and Mike look alike (i.e., the inhabiting spirit is a duplicate of the vessel); if this can be taken to mean that the spirit can assume the form of a favorite host, then BOB could be played by Ray Wise.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

*sigh* I lnow I'm gonna regret saying what I know here. So before I say too much and piss people I know off, no...I can't say anymore or go into more detail. I'm an infrequent (but longtime) poster here, and you are just gonna have to trust me. I know people who know people, etc.

All I'm gonna say is this...ABC does not own Twin Peaks, but has rights of first refusal to airing anything having to do with Peaks. My understanding is this: They would very much like to do something with TP, in the form of a tv movie or maybe mini series. Especially now, with nostalgia and "Brand Names" being a big thing. Especially as we are approaching 90's nostalgia time.

Obviously, they know without Lynch this isn't gonna happen. Right now, as I understand it, it all rests on whether he wants to go back or not. But he lives a certain lifestyle, and that costs money. He might not be above doing something, especially if ABC pays up.

Right now, the only one person standing in the way of a proper conclusion is Lynch himself.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Very interesting.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Well lets hope you're right GeekBoyEric74, I'd love to see Twin Peaks on the screen again.

What does everyone think of the letter writing campaign?
Hang loose, Houlies
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I have zero interest of seeing TP return without Lynch. But if he IS the driving force behind it, I'd be all for it. I know Lynch still loves the world of TP, so you never know. He himself has maintained a "probably not- but you never know" attitude. I have a hard time believing he'd ever work with ABC again though. Or even the confines of network TV. I could see HBO though, where he could put out his vision uncensored.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Seems to me the most likely additional material would be in the form of a film (or two), as the original intent was when he did FWWM. Of course, he'd also intended to make 3 Dune films, too...

But to the original poster, I don't think it likely that "see you again in 25 years" was actually a declaration of the film-maker's intent.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I am probably in minority on this point (as I am with most other points... lol) but regardless of how much I love the world of TP, I feel like a return to it at this point - with or especially without Lynch - would ruin the wholeness of TP for me. I love the ending of TP and the whole FWWM and I strongly feel that leaving this world with an ellipsis rather than a period is exactly what made TP worth dreaming about all these years later. In Lynch's words, it gave us room to dream. Anything he could come up with today, in whatever form, would never be able to live up to the original and it would thus inevitably be a disappointment and possibly even ruin the world of TP for many of us. It's not a matter of cynicism, but more a matter of "leave it be - it's perfect just as it is."
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

I have to say that it would be wonderful if they would return to world of Twin Peaks, but of course only with Lynch at helm. I actually think that it would do nice to him to get little more lighthearted and silly like he did with the show. I think that I've seen enough serious darkness from him for a change. I would like to see those other vibes too. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any darkness at all (that would be pretty strange for Lynch and TP :) ) but I just need his good vibes (and I miss Peaks SO MUCH!).