Twin Peaks Cast on Donahue 1990

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwinPeaksFanatic
RR Diner Member

Twin Peaks Cast on Donahue 1990

Post by TwinPeaksFanatic »

If you have the time watch, it's very interesting. The whole cast seemed a little nervous to me and so freaking young!!!!!

http://twinpeaksfanatic.blogspot.com/20 ... nahue.html

:D
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Cast on Donahue 1990

Post by Jasper »

Yeah, this has been around a good while. Donahue is so creepy. Those types of shows are creepy in general (in a bad way).

It's interesting that Mark Frost suggests we'll see part of Diane in the second season. My guess is that they played with the idea of showing closeups which weren't particularly revealing of her identity. No eyes, for instance. It's kind of a trope. There was that doorman on some early-to-mid-80s sitcom. I think he later become the voice of the animated Garfield (the cat). They'd show his arm or something when someone would be speaking to him at a door. Then there's the top of that neighbors head on that Tool Time show I can't remember the name of. I didn't watch these so I'm a little fuzzy on details, but I glimpsed enough to get the concept. I'm sure people can think of more examples.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Leo's hair.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Just watched this again (it's on Youtube). Mark Frost makes some very interesting comments, the Diane one mentioned above, but also that they had an episode ready to go where it was resolved who killed Laura end of the first season in case they weren't picked up. He doesn't exactly state this but heavily indicates so - and that now that they've been picked up (the news comes in during this show) people were frantically working to change that. I saw this before on DVD but don't remember picking up on that before. Interesting. I wonder if they shot some resolution scenes for the end of season 1?

Also interesting here is how the network picks up the most successful talked about show on TV - and long before it gets "too weird" etc., decides to put it on Saturdays at 10 at this early stage, for the following season. Seems foolish. I know about the pre-empts with the Gulf War that comes later, etc., but the move to Saturdays surely was the early end of the show long before the Gulf War pre-empts or people getting tired of the mystery not being revealed.
Last edited by Jonah on Tue May 19, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Here's the episode in Youtube clips for anyone who hasn't seen it! Worth a watch.

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Jonah wrote:Just watched this again (it's on Youtube). Mark Frost makes some very interesting comments, the Diane one mentioned above, but also that they had an episode ready to go where it was resolved who killed Laura end of the first season in case they weren't picked up. He doesn't exactly state this but heavily indicates so - and that now that they've been picked up (the news comes in during this show) people were frantically working to change that. I saw this before on DVD but don't remember picking up on that before. Interesting. I wonder if they shot some resolution scenes for the end of season 1?

Also interesting here is how the network picks up the most successful talked about show on TV - and long before it gets "too weird" etc., decides to put it on Saturdays at 10 at this early stage, for the following season. Seems foolish. I know about the pre-empts with the Cold War that comes later, etc., but the move to Saturdays surely was the early end of the show long before the Cold War pre-empts or people getting tired of the mystery not being revealed.
If I remember right from Twin Peaks Reflections, different people posit different reasons for the move to 10. Some well-intentioned, some not.
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

Jonah wrote: I know about the pre-empts with the Cold War that comes later, etc., but the move to Saturdays surely was the early end of the show long before the Cold War pre-empts or people getting tired of the mystery not being revealed.
I know Twin Peaks was a long time ago, but it wasn't quite that long... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Lol, thanks! :lol: I meant the Gulf War, of course. Another very interesting thing about this interview is how many people calling into the show and in the audience guessed accurately what may be going on a year before being confirmed in Season 2 and two years before FWWM. One person suggested Leland as the murderer, another asked if incest was involved between Leland and Laura. It might be my imagination but Mark Frost seemed momentarily taken aback, though he covered/responded well!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Was rewatching bits of this. At one point -

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Do you think there could ever be a movie about this?

Mr. FROST: Maybe. There was a Dallas movie years ago, I know. It did about 50 cents at the box office.

The first Dallas movie (and even then it was a TV movie) didn't happen until 1996 (and I doubt he meant the 1950 western) - so what was he referring to?