The Entire Mystery Easter eggs

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

The Entire Mystery Easter eggs

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Apologies if there is already a thread for this, but I think it was just a subtopic on the old all-encompassing blu-ray thread so hopefully it's appropriate to start a new topic.

When I first watched the set, I noticed that if you click left while the top button is highlighted on Disc 1, a box appears on the right side of the screen. You can then scroll right or down to display other boxes, 8 or 9 in total I think, and when you click on any of them they play short interview snippets with various writers, directors, or crew members (specifically DP Frank Byers and - maybe? - production designer Richard Hoover). These are obviously outtakes from the commentary tracks for the Artisam S1 DVD. Nothing earth-shattering but kind of fun or the obsessive completist (best is Tina Rathborne criticizing her 2nd episode while her young son stuffs a guinea pig into the microphone).

There may be some Easter eggs on disc 2 or 3, I can't remember, but after that there didn't seem to be anything. I though I had checked thoroughly on all the menus and that was it.

Today I decided to watch some of the special features again, as a kind of treat before I put the blu-ray set away for a while (save for a piece here or there on FWWM/Missing Pieces). Even got some donuts, coffee, and cherry pie for the occasion (Hostess microwavable, I wasn't gonna go all out here!).

Anyway, I just got to disc 10 and purely by accident I right-clicked on Moving Through Time. Lo and behold, two more of the magic boxes. One of them leads to a relatively long clip of AD Deepak Nayar recalling a bet between him and Lynch. The story is pretty funny, and offers some fascinating behind-the-scenes perspective on how light and playful the mood could be on the set of this dark film. (Makes me hope that someday Brad will add a FWWM section to a later edition of Reflections - I feel like there are probably a ton of great untold stories from the set...). Honestly I found it more interesting than some of the actual bonus features on the set. Great stuff.

I'm about to watch the second Easter egg now...and am kind of excited to find out what it is. I mean when you think about it, this is pretty much gonna be my last Twin Peaks surprise until (at least) mid-late 2016.

Any other Easter eggs on the blu that I missed? I hadn't seen these ones mentioned before even though I'm sure someone must have pointed them out somewhere. They were a fun surprise for me anyway.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Re: The Entire Mystery Easter eggs

Post by OK,Bob »

Haven't found any others, yet. Thanks for the post, though - I wasn't aware of any until I'd read this. It is a shame that some of the earlier releases' extras (like the directors' commentaries and the cast interviews) are missing from this latest release. Glad I kept my original season one DVDs... always loved the atmosphere of the menu page on those, anyway...

Guess we have the Golder, Definitiver, Completer-Mystery 4K-resolution release to look forward to, now ;-)
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

OK,Bob wrote:Haven't found any others, yet. Thanks for the post, though - I wasn't aware of any until I'd read this. It is a shame that some of the earlier releases' extras (like the directors' commentaries and the cast interviews) are missing from this latest release. Glad I kept my original season one DVDs... always loved the atmosphere of the menu page on those, anyway...

Guess we have the Golder, Definitiver, Completer-Mystery 4K-resolution release to look forward to, now ;-)
Aren't the cast interviews on there?

It is a pity they didn't include the directors' commentaries as audio. I understand Lynch doesn't like them on principle, but what's the harm of featuring them as audio interviews on the side?

Oh, and fwiw the other easter egg is about the Sheriff Cable fight scene. Nothing that noteworthy & certainly not as fascinating as the Deepak Nayar anecdote.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Was thinking about this the other day and thought I would post the pics on how to navigate.
easter-1.png
easter-1.png (136.73 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
easter-2.png
easter-2.png (571.48 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
easter-3.png
easter-3.png (566.44 KiB) Viewed 5454 times