Least Favorite Storyline in Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Little Nicky
15%
James/Evelyn Marsh Storyline
34%
Ben Horne Civil War
15%
Audrey and John Wheeler
9%
Nadine in High School
9%
Packard/Eckhardt Battle
3%
Josie as a maid
1%
Leo as a vegetable
No votes
Donna and her true father
1%
Donna and James season two
3%
Milford/Lana
7%
Other (Please specify in comments)
4%

Total votes: 151
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Little Nicky
James/Evelyn Marsh Storyline
Ben Horne Civil War
Audrey and John Wheeler
Nadine in High School
Packard/Eckhardt Battle
Josie as a maid
Leo as a vegetable
Donna and her true father
Donna and James season two
Milford/Lana
Other (Please specify in comments)

Results were deleted accidentally

Before the results accidentally got erased it was

7 for James/Evelyn Marsh Storyline
2 for Ben civil war
3 for Little Nicky
1 for Packard/Eckhardt Battle
1 for Nadine in high school
Last edited by WhiteLodge90 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Re: Least Favorite Storyline in Twin Peaks

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I liked the Leo as a vegetable, nadine in highschool, and Donna's real father storylines
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

That was a tough one but after thinking about it for a while I opted for the James/Evelyn Marsh Storyline (closely followed by Little Nicky).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Nadine in HS, and her super-strength storyline in general, just drags on and on for almost the entire season. It's my pick just due to its length -- not to mention that it completely destroys a character I found both very poignant and beautifully comedic in that slightly "off" Lynchian way during the first season. Robie pours her heart and soul into the nonsense she's handed throughout season 2, but in a way that just makes it even more embarrassing and sad.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Platypus2000 wrote:I liked the Leo as a vegetable, nadine in highschool, and Donna's real father storylines

I liked those stories too except for the over the top delivery of Donna's "You're my daddy." But I know some don't so I figured I'd include them in the poll.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Nadine in HS, and her super-strength storyline in general, just drags on and on for almost the entire season. It's my pick just due to its length -- not to mention that it completely destroys a character I found both very poignant and beautifully comedic in that slightly "off" Lynchian way during the first season. Robie pours her heart and soul into the nonsense she's handed throughout season 2, but in a way that just makes it even more embarrassing and sad.

I had kind of the opposite look to it. At first when she thought she was 18 I thought it was a bit stupid and too silly but Wendy Robie really grew into the persona and I ended up liking her character more than before when she was just a bit too over dramatic and angry.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I love Teen Nadine. I wanted her and Snake to find happiness.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I went for Ben Horne Civil War. NOTHING actually happens in that storyline. At least James/Evelyn has an actual plot.

By the way, you probably should give the Widow Milford and pre-Black Lodge Windom Earle as choices too (Earle becomes interesting the moment it becomes clear he's seeking access to the Lodge, before that, 'meh').
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

N. Needleman wrote:I love Teen Nadine. I wanted her and Snake to find happiness.
I agree. Hoping Lynch continues this now four way love rollercoaster more. It would be pretty funny for Mike to still pinning after Nadine who can't stand him. I also fully expect to see a miserable Big Ed still pinning after Norma. Poor Eddy...
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

mtwentz wrote:I went for Ben Horne Civil War. NOTHING actually happens in that storyline. At least James/Evelyn has an actual plot.

By the way, you probably should give the Widow Milford and pre-Black Lodge Windom Earle as choices too (Earle becomes interesting the moment it becomes clear he's seeking access to the Lodge, before that, 'meh').
Damn... Went to add it and it erased the whole pole... :/
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Before the results accidentally got erased it was

7 for James/Evelyn Marsh Storyline
2 for Ben civil war
3 for Little Nicky
1 for Packard/Eckhardt Battle
1 for Nadine in high school
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:I had kind of the opposite look to it. At first when she thought she was 18 I thought it was a bit stupid and too silly but Wendy Robie really grew into the persona and I ended up liking her character more than before when she was just a bit too over dramatic and angry.
To each his own. While her first-season portrayal could definitely skew a bit too far toward the melodramatic (especially in the first season finale), her drape-runner rants (and Ed's sad, trapped reactions) strike me as a perfect Lynchian portrayal of mental illness -- simultaneously realistic and absurd. Her second season stuff was basically a cartoon.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Other; the Ben Horne vs. Catherine Martell storyline.
Had it been, like the others mentioned, just a (season 1) side story, I probably would've gone for James/Evelyn, but since it lasted for the whole damn series and being so damn boring, this was an easy pick for me. Funnily, I love the Ben character and his Great Northern/OEJ shenanigans, but with Catherine, well, I feel she kind of Yoko'ed him a bit.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

BenHorne's Civil War is one of the storyline that I actually like, they were the highlights of the epsodes for me and I thought that it was an interesting way to justify Ben's evolution after his breakdown. We finally see Johnny again, some of the actors of the plot are among the best of the show and are having great fun in this sillyness (Beymer, Kelly, Tamblyn, ...).

That said I understand that the idea of trying to make the South win the Civil War can upset most people.

On the other hand, Nadine's cartoonish super strength really seems off for the series, and that's why I hate it the most. Even if I adit it to be more enjoyable than Evelyn or Nicky's storylines. (And Nicky has no point at all, it drags Lucy's plotline about who should be the father when it had the perfect ending already in episode 16).
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I think frost may share that discomfort about the civil war stuff, given his adjustment to the storyline in his book... Tbh I love watching beymer whatever he's doing so I enjoy this part more than I perhaps should, which is sort of where I am with most of these - don't feel like mounting a defence of any right now but I enjoy parts of each to varying degrees.

Evelyn will take this in a walk obviously. Tempted to vote other (windom), for reasons I've gone on about at length elsewhere here - it's like if they made little Nicky the primary antagonist of the second season