[No spoilers] Level of excitement for the new characters?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sp.agent.dalecooper
Roadhouse Member

Re: [No spoilers] Level of excitement for the new characters?

Post by sp.agent.dalecooper »

I think it would be fantastic if a large grouping of the new younger actors had large roles as Twin Peaks residents. When Cooper returns(Good and/or Bad Coop) it would be interesting to see him and his short impactful time spent in Twin Peaks explained(reliably or not) by older characters like Hawk, Lucy/Andy, Big Ed, etc.

Of course, not knowing what has transpired post "Hows Annie?", it will be fascinating to see how Cooper is even viewed by locals we all know and love. What are their last memories of him? Do any of them see him as anything other than evil or someone who changed from good to bad? So their message to a younger generation of Twin Peaks residents(including presumably some of their children) could be one of fear, caution, mistrust for all we know.

I guess related to that, I'm hoping for a lot of the returning characters to have nice supporting roles and purpose, but not necessarily primary roles and screentime even, as they did in the first two seasons. So I want them to be important and given worthwhile roles, but once Cooper returns to Twin Peaks, I don't necessarily want to see it primarily be all the old cast occupying 90% of the plot/screentime. Cooper of course being the exception as we know/assume that he is the Odysseus in this tale.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

I'm beyond psyched to see Laura Dern and Naomi Watts in S3. It may be wishful thinking but if either of them end up being Diane I may drop dead.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

sp.agent.dalecooper wrote:I think it would be fantastic if a large grouping of the new younger actors had large roles as Twin Peaks residents. When Cooper returns(Good and/or Bad Coop) it would be interesting to see him and his short impactful time spent in Twin Peaks explained(reliably or not) by older characters like Hawk, Lucy/Andy, Big Ed, etc.

Of course, not knowing what has transpired post "Hows Annie?", it will be fascinating to see how Cooper is even viewed by locals we all know and love. What are their last memories of him? Do any of them see him as anything other than evil or someone who changed from good to bad? So their message to a younger generation of Twin Peaks residents(including presumably some of their children) could be one of fear, caution, mistrust for all we know.

I guess related to that, I'm hoping for a lot of the returning characters to have nice supporting roles and purpose, but not necessarily primary roles and screentime even, as they did in the first two seasons. So I want them to be important and given worthwhile roles, but once Cooper returns to Twin Peaks, I don't necessarily want to see it primarily be all the old cast occupying 90% of the plot/screentime. Cooper of course being the exception as we know/assume that he is the Odysseus in this tale.

This is really well put! Couldn't have said it better. :)
Of course, knowing it probably ain't possible to give everyone on that list of 217 names a good amount of screen time and many will end up being cameos and small parts, I hope for a well balance ratio of old vs new cast to tie into Cooper's odyssey. :D

Roughly 45 days to go. Excitement on the rise...
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Soolsma wrote:Not at all, definitely don't plan on checking her out before S3 either. In general I just love fresh faces, and hers speaks to me especially.
Ah, OK, I'm on the same page. There's definitely something about her in that short interview clip. Whose voice does she do in the TSHOTP audiobook? (I probably won't be checking that out, I read the book and that was good enough for me.)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Snailhead wrote:Whose voice does she do in the TSHOTP audiobook? (I probably won't be checking that out, I read the book and that was good enough for me.)
Don't know but I am really curious as well. I've tried asking on it on the forum a couple of times but there seem to be few who have the audiobook, and even less who would know her voice.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

There are three female voices total - Tamara, Audrey, Margaret - and two voice actresses, and people with better voice recognition than I ascertained that she's not voicing Tamara. So I think she might be both other girls?

I'm only familiar with another voice acting role of hers, she's FFXV's female lead in the game proper (in the tie in movie the role went to Lena Headey). An actual angel descended from the heavens couldn't have salvaged the lines she was given, her character's flat as a board, but by no fault of hers. Her work there was good imo.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

I'm excited to see the old actors and characters. And Watts, Dern, and Belushi.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

N. Needleman wrote:Jane Levy has said she filmed one scene.
Well okay then. That throws my theory out the window (if she's telling the truth). If they're going to have a robust younger cast, she seems like the one that would lead it considering her rising profile. She also has a great look for the show.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

IcedOver wrote:
Well okay then. That throws my theory out the window (if she's telling the truth). If they're going to have a robust younger cast, she seems like the one that would lead it considering her rising profile. She also has a great look for the show.
Agreed. She's got sort of a Lynchian-friendly character (a lot more than this Amy Shiels that so many in here seem so enthusiastic about).
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

bob_wooler wrote:Agreed. She's got sort of a Lynchian-friendly character (a lot more than this Amy Shiels that so many in here seem so enthusiastic about).
I've never even heard of Amy Shiels. She looks like a less attractive Ashley Johnson.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Jane Adams is someone else I hope has a good sized role. Her eyes really draw you in.

Robert Koepner - I really liked him in "Carnivale". He's got an excellent intensity. It bodes well that he appears in the interview clip, suggesting he's got some interesting things to do.

Of the musicians, Sharon Van Etten has me most excited - she's such a unique beauty.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

The fact that the cast has so many "character actors" who have appeared in various movies and shows over the years (Robert Knepper, James Morrison, Jay R. Ferguson, John Savage, Meg Foster, Jeremy Davies, Max Perlich, Frank Collison, Clark Middleton, Ethan Suplee) tells me that the new cast will be significant in their importance. If it were just some well-known names (Roth, Dern, Watts, Leigh, Seyfried) and not these character actors, I might think they were just around for support, but with these familiar faces in addition to them, it feels like the returning cast might be the ones taking the back seat.

If Jane Levy just has a small role, perhaps Sara Paxton is the leader of the younger cast(?). She's been in so much stuff.

I kind of hope Reznor is actually acting, not just performing. It'd be interesting to know if he can act because he has an interesting face. The fact that his wife and Robin Finck are listed, though, points to them performing. It's also possible that all the "music" names aren't actually in the show but rather on the soundtrack (whether their songs appear on the show or just on the soundtrack release).
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Personally I'm expecting a broad mosaic ensemble approach (even more so than before) with no one other than Cooper really "standing out" as excessively prominent. I anticipate this being more like an epic film in that way with individual story strands feeding like tributaries into the larger ocean of a narrative. I can imagine how this could be artfully done too with this approach giving us only subliminal glimpses of the overall picture, working on us almost unconsciously in other words.

As to new cast...well, I'm excited to see them all, especially as directed by Lynch, and especially those actors whose work we're already familiar with and are aware of how great they can be. Many of the others with whom we're less familiar or not familiar at all could be very pleasant surprises. But I do want to put in a word here specifically for Jodi Thelen who hasn't done a lot of notable screen work since her debut film, Arthur Penn's Four Friends, back in '81. But just based on that alone she seems to me to be a perfect actress for Lynch and this world. Please check her out in that film to get a glimpse of what I mean.
Last edited by John Justice Wheeler on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

There's an old tweet by one of the actresses that seemingly reveals who the main youngins are gonna be! Not sure if it counts as spoilers so I won't link to it in public but it's out there.

As for me, I am looking forward to the new characters a lot because I love L+F's ensemble casts (On The Air could've done with better scripts for the most part, but...) and even Lynch's solo effort with Mulholland Drive. The protagonists' journey is important but I am always charmed by how vibrant all the characters are.

And... I'm extremely curious about the new townsfolk, young and old, and about all sorts of new people in new locations, but to be quite honest, what I'm looking forward to the most is Gordon's people. Because we never got enough of them, even with the blessings that were Chet, Sam and Phillip, and for now I just can't picture the daily life of my faves at the Philadelphia office with the same ease I can conjure up, for example, the Sheriff's station. Give me Diane, give me Tamara and a few more...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

IcedOver wrote:
There is a younger cast, but it is unlikely Levy has a major role. Them's the breaks, pal.

I believe Shiels and Bell have large roles. I think Shiels seems especially lovely and talented.
IcedOver wrote:The fact that the cast has so many "character actors" who have appeared in various movies and shows over the years (Robert Knepper, James Morrison, Jay R. Ferguson, John Savage, Meg Foster, Jeremy Davies, Max Perlich, Frank Collison, Clark Middleton, Ethan Suplee) tells me that the new cast will be significant in their importance. If it were just some well-known names (Roth, Dern, Watts, Leigh, Seyfried) and not these character actors, I might think they were just around for support, but with these familiar faces in addition to them, it feels like the returning cast might be the ones taking the back seat.
You're forgetting that Lynch has often cast major character actors in tiny roles in his work, including in FWWM (David Bowie, Jurgen Prochnow, etc).

I think the story will be split between old and new characters, but we know some of the prominent new actors (Bell, Watts, Shiels, Belushi, Knepper, Dern, Seyfried, Jones, etc.) and that leads me to believe many of the names you mention will be smaller roles or bit parts of the type Lynch seems to love.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.