Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

Overall, the release (or re-release) of the music video tells us one very important thing in regards to Wisteria/Unrecorded Night:

We essentially still don't know anything.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:44 pm In terms of the US release of INLAND EMPIRE that's due, how many units can you see that shifting? I've got plenty of time for the film and extras would interest me but I am just wondering how much interest there really is in the US for that release now?
I'm sure it would sell pretty well just given how strong the Lynch brand name is when it comes to Criterion/boutique circles. Plus AFAIK it's not out on Blu Ray in the US and is otherwise hard to access?

There's also a fairly erroneous idea that a Criterion "restored" Blu Ray release would make the film somehow look significantly better than it does when of course it will always be tied to the very low resolution format it was shot on. But I've read various comments over the years from people clamouring for this release specifically just so they can see it in "better quality". They may be disappointed...
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Metamorphia wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:47 am
NormoftheAndes wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:44 pm

There's also a fairly erroneous idea that a Criterion "restored" Blu Ray release would make the film somehow look significantly better than it does when of course it will always be tied to the very low resolution format it was shot on. But I've read various comments over the years from people clamouring for this release specifically just so they can see it in "better quality". They may be disappointed...
agree.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:45 am
Metamorphia wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:47 am
NormoftheAndes wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:44 pm
agree.

All you're both saying is of course correct. But, for what it's worth, the existing UK and German Blu-rays definitely offer superior image quality and sound than the US DVD - not because they make it look better, obviously, just more detail, closer to the theatrical presentation, etc. The best practical reason for Criterion to release it is so that all of Lynch's preferred subtitles make it onto a Blu-ray release with all of the DVD extras restored. As I once discussed in another thread, both the other foreign Blu-rays I own omit a key line or two in the subs that are on the DVD, and they have their own set of extras rather than Lynch's lovingly curated special features for the US release. And yes, I think it will sell well since it is Lynch and the film remains underseen.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

DAVID LYNCH DID IT! ONE YEAR OF DAILY WEATHER REPORTS

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/lynch/da ... -one-year/
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

On the subject of subtitles, how come the only four blu rays out of 250 that I own without subtitles or closed captions are Lynch movies?

Am I paranoid for not thinking it's a coincidence? Probably.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Histeria wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:12 am On the subject of subtitles, how come the only four blu rays out of 250 that I own without subtitles or closed captions are Lynch movies?

Am I paranoid for not thinking it's a coincidence? Probably.
Haha, interesting. Makes sense. But to be clear for the record, I was talking about the English subs for the Polish parts on Inland Empire.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Maybe Lynch is averse to closed captioning? I never noticed as I don’t really use them. He has a hatred for all sorts of DVD features that can interfere with his preferred presentation of the film (chapter breaks, audio commentaries), so it’s certainly possible.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

David definitely didn't record today's report on the same mics/recording environment. The sound quality is drastically reduced as if it's a whatsapp voice note.

The wheezing in his breath was very faint in prior reports because the mic was presumably a lot further away and had more dynamic range. The one today sounds like he's holding the device to his mouth. Tempo is also raised. And it happens to be the first report not to have video. Figures :D

https://youtu.be/kzVde61Y58U[/youtube]
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Histeria wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:08 am David definitely didn't record today's report on the same mics/recording environment. The sound quality is drastically reduced as if it's a whatsapp voice note.

The wheezing in his breath was very faint in prior reports because the mic was presumably a lot further away and had more dynamic range. The one today sounds like he's holding the device to his mouth. Tempo is also raised. And it happens to be the first report not to have video. Figures :D

https://youtu.be/kzVde61Y58U[/youtube]
Very interesting indeed. No explanation offered by Lynch as to why he has recorded it in a different fashion. Hmm.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

That’s potentially exciting!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

A couple of pages back I guessed Mordeen's clues as meaning eleven, May or twelve, May. Simply because I couldn't crack it as a caesar cipher, so it was just a guess really based on number of letters. But what if it did really start filming today?

Probably not, though - he might just have changed the video for the one year anniversary. He did previously have a black lives banner filling the screen in honour of George Floyd, so he has experimented with changing the format before.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Even that one had video though, just without him on screen. This is the first one that’s audio only, potentially because he doesn’t want us to see where he is (and/or what time he’s recording it if he’s started doing them super early). Intriguing. We’ll see what happens tomorrow (and if he does a “number of the day” today which would be tough to do audio-only).
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

No twitter ping for today, either. I don't recall Sabrina missing a weather report tweet before. Almost like they're busy or something.
Jonah wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:25 am A couple of pages back I guessed Mordeen's clues as meaning eleven, May or twelve, May. Simply because I couldn't crack it as a caesar cipher, so it was just a guess really based on number of letters. But what if it did really start filming today?

Probably not, though - he might just have changed the video for the one year anniversary. He did previously have a black lives banner filling the screen in honour of George Floyd, so he has experimented with changing the format before.
Yeah. It's possible they just chose to not do a video today and have a birthday cake instead. Curious artistic choices from a sound design and diction standpoint but it is Lynch we're talking about.

Edit: and just as I posted this the tweet finally came through a minute later.

Edit 2: nope that was the numbers and the weather report tweet has been skipped over completely