Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by David Lich »

Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

David Lich wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:39 pm Image
I loved Season 3, but, damn if the look of the Red Room wasn't just uniformly better (to me) in Season 1/2/FWWM.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

S3 Red Room looked better in Beymer's verite documentary than it did in the actual series.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Axxon and I beg to differ, as noted in the unpopular opinion thread!
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Histeria wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:01 pm S3 Red Room looked better in Beymer's verite documentary than it did in the actual series.
The Lodge in The Return looked articial/ MANUFACTURED - that applies to everything in season 3 in fact. :shock:
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Aside from differences in colour I think it's the sense of space that's different? TR's set feels much bigger and more open to me.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Old = the space is limited and the curtains see-through, so there's a sense of continuation beyond the small rooms. The expansive nature is suggestive, accomplished also by repetitions of a few static areas (one hallway, one room) changing in subtle ways, and so actually being several.

New = curtains are opaque, the space is rendered literally expansive through more direct means, recursions of digital editing effects and actual transformation, both through said effects and props.
Last edited by AXX°N N. on Wed May 12, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

One thing I’ll say for the original is that the moving in and out of the same one room and hallway over and over is very dream/nightmare like. The idea of trying to escape a space just to end up right back in it. The translucent curtains lend the suggestion of something beyond, but you can never reach it. The claustrophobic element of that is so fundamentally terrifying to me. I'll say it again: the original is more about claustrophobia, and the new one is more about agoraphobia (which DKL claims he suffers from).
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:02 pm You know, I’ve always thought the date of the joint Lynch/Frost tweets announcing TR was random. I can’t believe I never put this together given all the time I spent on my damn timeline. Per the dates on the scroll that Garland left in the tube for Bobby, Coop going through the door in the Great Northern in Part 17 (i.e., the moment when reality as we know it arguably ends) takes place on October 2, 2014. The L/F Twin Tweets came out the day following that, October 3, 2014.
We go round and round in circles in this thread for no apparent reason talking pure nonsense, but this is something that is genuinely interesting for a number of reasons, yet it hasn't gained any traction. I just had to respond to say, well done. That's newly uncovered information that really gives you something to think about, especially in light of certain theories that tie the series to some form of reality, and malleable reality at that. Just brilliant. Thank you.

(Are you 100% sure it's October 2nd when all that goes down in the Sheriff's station?)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:29 pm
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:02 pm You know, I’ve always thought the date of the joint Lynch/Frost tweets announcing TR was random. I can’t believe I never put this together given all the time I spent on my damn timeline. Per the dates on the scroll that Garland left in the tube for Bobby, Coop going through the door in the Great Northern in Part 17 (i.e., the moment when reality as we know it arguably ends) takes place on October 2, 2014. The L/F Twin Tweets came out the day following that, October 3, 2014.
We go round and round in circles in this thread for no apparent reason talking pure nonsense, but this is something that is genuinely interesting for a number of reasons, yet it hasn't gained any traction. I just had to respond to say, well done. That's newly uncovered information that really gives you something to think about, especially in light of certain theories that tie the series to some form of reality, and malleable reality at that. Just brilliant. Thank you.

(Are you 100% sure it's October 2nd when all that goes down in the Sheriff's station?)
Pretty sure. The scroll has the dates 10/1 and 10/2 written on it. I believe they head for Jack Rabbit’s Palace on the first date (10/01), when they find Naido. Which would place the sheriff’s station stuff the following day.

What’s interesting to me is that, I’d always sort of assumed the dates on the prop were just a remnant of when the scene was filmed (à la the February 24th date of the Pilot — I believe — initially being a result of the day Kyle filmed that car/tape recorder scene). The scenes surrounding the tube speculation in the sheriff’s station were shot on/around October 1, 2015. Did the prop maker just put those dates on the paper because they were the dates of filming? I thought so. But then we also get multiple September dates listed on props in other scenes that were shot months later (the “congressman’s dilemma” evidence tags, Mr. C’s arrest paperwork, and — most prominently — Bill Hastings both handwriting AND whimpering “9/29” when he IDs Garland during his interrogation, in a scene shot in November). I never got all the dates seen on screen to really quite work together, but it does seem there was a conscious effort to set the thing in September into early October, which makes me give credence to the 10/1 and 10/2 dates (which got a closeup) as intended canon. I really wonder if they had planned those dates as early as the scripting (tweeting) stage, though.

And of course TR never explicitly says it is set in 2014. But if it’s 25 years after 1989, well, do the math.

It could be a complete coincidence, but a truly fascinating one.

(If only those tweets had been at 2:53.)
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

A fascinating discovery, Mr. Reindeer, indeed; thank you!

Unfortunately, this doesn't help us much in predicting the date of the potential announcement of the new project, because of the obvious reason that back on October 3, 2014 that date still didn't have any special significance. What is interesting, however, is that this discovery seemingly makes it more likely that Lynch would announce the new project on an important date too, but we just won't be able to guess it, because its importance might not became obvious until the new series airs - or even then a few years might pass before someone makes a connection, like Mr. Reindeer did now :D
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Sounds more like a coincidence then some special date to me. Also you say its the day after. I don't think its connected. at all....especially since its so hard to identify as why they announced on that day.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Oh and my Birthday is on Sunday (and my 1st vaccinne shot) maybe Lynch is waiting to announce on my birthday. Mordeen got any birthday info, not in riddle form? Is it Twin Peaks? Is it happening?
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I'm starting to get so anxious and tense about no news that I'm strongly considering maybe finally trying to meditate. Well played, David. Well played.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Relax, guys. Temper your expectations. Here we are, a second week into the start of the production, according to what was being claimed on-line for some months, and we still don't have A SINGLE concrete proof Lynch is doing anything other than woodling in his workshop and making weather report and numbers videos. And people talk about this supposed "project" like it's a thing... Maybe he's contemplating another monkey short, but that's as far as I'd be willing to go if bets were being taken :D