Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Yeah although those were small-scale. I find it hard to believe though that a Netflix production will move entirely from studio locations to just being filmed around Lynch's own home property. To be fair, Lost Highway did make great use of one of his abodes. I mean, none of this is even a solid rumour is it? Or am I wrong?

All I can imagine is that once things are more possible and sorted out, studio filming will occur. Lynch has been vaccinated.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:58 am
kingchatterbox wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:51 am I have too much time on my hands today apparently, but I ended up going through all of the weather reports and taking some notes.

- He only talks about his projects on weekends, including references to thinking about things like wood, epoxy, poylester resin, etc. I counted 16 references to something that sounds like painting or one of his projects on either Saturday or Sunday, and exactly 1 reference to 'thinking about oil paint, and how great it smells' on a Tuesday (3/30).

- For the most part he only gives song recommendations on weekdays (there are a few exceptions to this though). Maybe this has something to with KCRW, I don't know, but it seems interesting.

- The last "What is David Working On" video was 11/21 (a Saturday). The last one before that was 10/13 (that, and I believe all the previous ones were on weekdays.)

- Starting 2/27 (Saturday) he starts wishing the audience 'good luck and have fun on your projects', usually on Saturdays, sometimes Sundays (sometimes neither). He says he's starting a new painting on this day, and also says, 'one of these days I'll do a video of what I'm working on.' (But he hasn't yet obviously.)

- 5/29 he starts explicitly referring to these as 'weekend projects'. 7/3 he definitely includes himself, 'I'm hoping we all have a great time with those weekend projects."

The strong implication to me is that he's working on something more 'professional' during the week, and has been for a while.
great detective work King Chatterbox. Yeah, i'm starting to think Unrecorded Night is like What Did Jack Do/ Three R's sorta contained avant garde experimental project he shoots at his house M-F after the weather vids, and Laura Dern is on the list to do some scenes here and there, and that's why she's vague in the Elle interview, since all she knows is it's a crazy art project but she willing to spare some days here and there at some point in her schedule.

I'm assuming the set for What Did Jack Do was constructed in one of his houses or yard, like Rabbits was.
This is purely my impression of Lynch but I don't think he'd be continuing the weather report routine if he was also in the process of shooting during the week. When he made Inland Empire he stopped them at the onset of filming, didn't he? I don't see him as someone who compartmentalises well - I think he'd want to focus entirely on the project, especially since if UN exists it's likely quite similar in scale to Inland Empire (i.e. quite substantial).

chatterbox's analysis is interesting though. Definitely plausible Lynch is writing/planning/building (don't forget how much furniture he used to manufacture for props in films like Lost Highway!)/negotiating during the week.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:05 pm Yeah although those were small-scale. I find it hard to believe though that a Netflix production will move entirely from studio locations to just being filmed around Lynch's own home property. To be fair, Lost Highway did make great use of one of his abodes. I mean, none of this is even a solid rumour is it? Or am I wrong?

All I can imagine is that once things are more possible and sorted out, studio filming will occur. Lynch has been vaccinated.
Unless this really is Rabbits mk 2 in style I don't think it's really feasible for Lynch to shoot entirely at home. He has land in which he's built sets on before but that's basically it, it's pretty limited. I'd guess he has a limited indoor video space where he can make it blackout and that's that. Not like he actually has indoor studio space.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:05 pm Yeah although those were small-scale. I find it hard to believe though that a Netflix production will move entirely from studio locations to just being filmed around Lynch's own home property. To be fair, Lost Highway did make great use of one of his abodes. I mean, none of this is even a solid rumour is it? Or am I wrong?

Yeah this is just spitballing. Nobody knows anything for sure
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I would be more inclined to think it was a low-budget affair along the lines of What Did Jack Do? if the original reddit rumour (who was correct about the working title Wisteria) had not seen a budget indicating 85 million and a list of shooting locations. Of course, there's no guarantee that was all true, but the working title was seemingly correct (unless it's changed).

What's more interesting to me is if Unrecorded Night is the same as that production. There's nothing to connect the two is there, apart from a vague number of episode numbers (13 or 25 in the original rumour, 13 in the script filings) and the PW listings? Did the PW listing even mention Wiseria or was it Unrecorded Night or did it mention both? Anyway, they could be two separate projects, and one could be a working title for Twin Peaks.

But the original rumour did specify Netflix and 85 million - assuming any of that is true, I doubt the Netflix project is a low-budget one.

With regards to everything else, I have no idea. Not only is there a bunch of rumours, but two working titles, and the possibility that one or both of them could be connected or unconnected to Twin Peaks - or that could be another season altogether separate from these - makes all of this very very convoluted.

Good job at obfuscation if that was the intention - two working titles, possibly two studios, two or more projects (we're not even sure how many!), and no idea what connects to what. Even the original rumours about a Season 3 felt a lot less complicated than all of this - because there was only one rumoured project!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

DougieJones wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Yeah this is just spitballing. Nobody knows anything for sure
:lol: All this spitballing sounds a bit messy!
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
kingchatterbox

Post by kingchatterbox »

I don't necessarily think he's been filming, but it seems like he's been doing something besides painting and furniture building during the week. Could just be pre-production / Zoom meetings and such. But it also doesn't seem too outlandish that he'd be filming something. He's done a fair amount of shorts, etc. at his house in the past, and since it seems like Netflix is interested in any content from him I think he'd come up with something. Who knows, maybe it's animation.
kingchatterbox

Post by kingchatterbox »

Metamorphia wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:07 pm
kingchatterbox wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:51 am I have too much time on my hands today apparently, but I ended up going through all of the weather reports and taking some notes.

- He only talks about his projects on weekends, including references to thinking about things like wood, epoxy, poylester resin, etc. I counted 16 references to something that sounds like painting or one of his projects on either Saturday or Sunday, and exactly 1 reference to 'thinking about oil paint, and how great it smells' on a Tuesday (3/30).

- For the most part he only gives song recommendations on weekdays (there are a few exceptions to this though). Maybe this has something to with KCRW, I don't know, but it seems interesting.

- The last "What is David Working On" video was 11/21 (a Saturday). The last one before that was 10/13 (that, and I believe all the previous ones were on weekdays.)

- Starting 2/27 (Saturday) he starts wishing the audience 'good luck and have fun on your projects', usually on Saturdays, sometimes Sundays (sometimes neither). He says he's starting a new painting on this day, and also says, 'one of these days I'll do a video of what I'm working on.' (But he hasn't yet obviously.)

- 5/29 he starts explicitly referring to these as 'weekend projects'. 7/3 he definitely includes himself, 'I'm hoping we all have a great time with those weekend projects."

The strong implication to me is that he's working on something more 'professional' during the week, and has been for a while.
great detective work King Chatterbox. Yeah, i'm starting to think Unrecorded Night is like What Did Jack Do/ Three R's sorta contained avant garde experimental project he shoots at his house M-F after the weather vids, and Laura Dern is on the list to do some scenes here and there, and that's why she's vague in the Elle interview, since all she knows is it's a crazy art project but she willing to spare some days here and there at some point in her schedule.

I'm assuming the set for What Did Jack Do was constructed in one of his houses or yard, like Rabbits was.
This is purely my impression of Lynch but I don't think he'd be continuing the weather report routine if he was also in the process of shooting during the week. When he made Inland Empire he stopped them at the onset of filming, didn't he? I don't see him as someone who compartmentalises well - I think he'd want to focus entirely on the project, especially since if UN exists it's likely quite similar in scale to Inland Empire (i.e. quite substantial).

chatterbox's analysis is interesting though. Definitely plausible Lynch is writing/planning/building (don't forget how much furniture he used to manufacture for props in films like Lost Highway!)/negotiating during the week.
As I recall (it was a long time ago, and I came to DavidLynch.com somewhat late), he used to do two weather reports, one for the paying members, and one for the general public. And he wasn't as regular with them as he is on youtube, there would be stretches of time where he just didn't do it without explanation. But I definitely remember him announcing Inland Empire on the weather reports (one day earlier for the paying members), and saying that he had already been doing a lot of filming. So I don't believe that he stopped at the onset of filming.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I'm just spitballing. I don't have any super secret source anonymous burner account on Reddit feeding me intel. I just know that :

a) Lynch romanticizes the Eraserhead experience of making things himself, shooting at his own pace. it's like a fine art way of working.
and he did get upset in that Return BTS being rushed around, and wanted to spend time on things. i think he said something
like he never wanted to work this way again when he was upset at one point.

b) Rabbits he made at home, possibly The Three R's, that thing is brilliant and its homemade, parts of LH, possibly What Did Jack Do, a lot of the davidlynch.com skits and stuff

c) What Did Jack Do was sorta like a play, so was Hotel Room, so he can shoot small scale stuff that doesnt have sprawl, thats just a few people in a room.

d) elephant in the room - he is 75. got sick twice on the Return, took a toll on him, he may not really be into going that that big again with a giant production
with locations all over the place and a grueling 16 hour day

all of which just guesswork, i have no idea.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

kingchatterbox wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:09 pm
Metamorphia wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:07 pm

As I recall (it was a long time ago, and I came to DavidLynch.com somewhat late), he used to do two weather reports, one for the paying members, and one for the general public. And he wasn't as regular with them as he is on youtube, there would be stretches of time where he just didn't do it without explanation. But I definitely remember him announcing Inland Empire on the weather reports (one day earlier for the paying members), and saying that he had already been doing a lot of filming. So I don't believe that he stopped at the onset of filming.
Thanks for the correction.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, I think there was some overlap with early Inland shooting and the lynch.com weather reports. I think once studio canal kicked in 4 mill, it became more like a formal thing with earlier call times.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Lynch thinking about Chris Isaak's Wicked Game in today's weather report. Hopefully Chester Desmond is on his mind....
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I wish it was more than Lynch hearing a song he likes and then thinking to himself "I should mention that on my weather thingy".
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Jerry Horne wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:06 am I wish it was more than Lynch hearing a song he likes and then thinking to himself "I should mention that on my weather thingy".
Right there with you Jerry. :|
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

You know, I used to think it'd be great to see more of Chet Desmond, but as much as I love the character, I've come to really appreciate the complete mystery of his disappearance. I like it being unresolved
I'll see you in the trees