Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by LateReg »

BGate wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 am
Histeria wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:43 am He said they'd changed the format to 13 episodes before the copyright filings were made public by the library of Congress.
I'm not aware of this and I follow this thread pretty closely. Got any links?
Going off memory, I think he said it almost instantly when he referred to the project possibly consisting of mini movies. It seemed speculative and wasn't anything necessarily concrete, but I still trust that the guy had some info and still does.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by eyeboogers »

I will second BGate in not remembering that Reddit source stating the 13 episode number in advance. Personally I have never trusted that source at all, and do not believe there was ever any project called "Wisteria". "Unrecorded Night" however...
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Thread here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion/comm ... /_/fikwi11

Wisteria was a working title for Unrecorded Night, per Production Weekly. So I guess you could say it didn't exist yet it did, to paraphrase Laura Palmer.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Histeria wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:03 pm Thread here.

Wisteria was a working title for Unrecorded Night, per Production Weekly. So I guess you could say it didn't exist yet it did, to paraphrase Laura Palmer.
Yes, he clearly states the 13 episode "mini movies" in there as I remembered. I'm pretty sure that was before the copyrights were found, no?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

LateReg wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:59 pm
Histeria wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:03 pm Thread here.

Yes, he clearly states the 13 episode "mini movies" in there as I remembered. I'm pretty sure that was before the copyrights were found, no?
It was, yes. At least two posters earlier in this thread have compared the dates of canthaveit's statements to other sources of the same information and it turned out he was first for all of them
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Out of curiosity, was it before the copyrights were uploaded onto/released by the site - or before they were found? Because he might have found them first with a bit of digging before others found them....
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:02 am Out of curiosity, was it before the copyrights were uploaded onto/released by the site - or before they were found? Because he might have found them first with a bit of digging before others found them....
more than four months before the copyright filing.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I'm very much on Team Canthaveit Is Legit so I'm inclined to take them at face value. However, just because they might have some access to documents or filings that indicate the arrangement at Netflix is dead (I still maintain my theory that they themselves work at Netflix) I'm still holding out hope that the movement away from Netflix might mean things are stirring again, but elsewhere. There was speculation when Netflix lost the original Twin Peaks episodes that perhaps a S4 or spin-off featuring Twin Peaks IP would perhaps make more sense at a different network who has the original series/TR already (i.e Paramount+ or Showtime).
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:03 am I'm very much on Team Canthaveit Is Legit so I'm inclined to take them at face value. However, just because they might have some access to documents or filings that indicate the arrangement at Netflix is dead (I still maintain my theory that they themselves work at Netflix) I'm still holding out hope that the movement away from Netflix might mean things are stirring again, but elsewhere. There was speculation when Netflix lost the original Twin Peaks episodes that perhaps a S4 or spin-off featuring Twin Peaks IP would perhaps make more sense at a different network who has the original series/TR already (i.e Paramount+).
Agreed. That's where I stand and I still very much doubt Lynch no longer has any audiovisual art in the pipeline anymore. If there were multiple, as some have suggested, I still think at least one remains extant. If there was one, I feel it has changed form or distributor but hasn't been killed entirely (yet, anyway).

I feel with Nevins getting promoted and ViacomCBS going all in on a unified in-house streaming platform instead of licencing out their content, the material conditions that saw Netflix get Lynch on board changed during the pandemic. Especially with the shocking amounts of money they're throwing around. Nearly one billion for the rights to 14 South Park films. Jesus Christ.

It's also possible but less likely that the Netflix contract has been replaced with a new/amended one. But I've trusted canthaveit to now and it would be very much selective vision to now dismiss them because their message isn't the one I'd hoped for.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

if you listen to the Scott Ryan interview with Mark Frost and Bushman in March of 2020, just as covid is breaking out, Frost says it's too soon to say if there will be a TP S4, just about the same time as Canhaveit is posting on reddit, and a few months later, Frost is adamant he's not involved in Wisteria/Unrecorded on twitter with the "no NDA, not involved period" remark... so I always felt like it has to be a different project.

the scripts for Unrecorded coprytighted in June of 2020, with Frost name not on them, possible between March and June of 2020, Lynch and Frost had a giant break-up fight and Frost's name taken off scripts, but I think it's more logical, just different projects.

Frost repeating the too soon remark in some other interviews too, made me think Kyle supposed to be older or something in whatever idea they had.

you could argue why was TP productions in the Production Weekly capsules, but it appears they rely on tips, and it was pulled from PW weekly by Feb of 2021, so could be flawed intel.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Count me in the same camp as many of you—it’s just frustrating to see smoke, and yet wonder/assume if it’s just coming from a smoke machine at the end of the day. I’m keeping my hopes in check, assuming no Lynch series is in motion. I take anonymous Reddit users with a grain of salt either way it goes. Seeing is believing for me. Even with a formal announcement last time, it fell through and was delayed, etc.

As for TP4 or any proper spin-off, I’d keep those hopes even more in check for the time being. Not to crush any hopes, but just to be transparent with what I’ve been told first hand. I wish there was more to go on :|
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The thread had to be locked for the last 24 hours to be cleaned up and some posts have been removed. It took a lot of time. Moving forward, the mods are going to be cracking down more on inappropriate posts and PMs. The rules are not negotiable and we won't allow PMs or posts that discuss them. If this thread continues to be problematic it will be closed permanently (it has already had to be locked at least twice and is taking up too much time for us to moderate so we ask people to please stick to the guidelines). Here are the rules laid out a few months ago, with one new one added. Hopefully this will be the last time they have to be posted. (Adhering to these in most other threads is probably a good idea too - use common sense.)

* Be nice to each other!
No snide comments, infighting, personal attacks, etc. (This is a site-wide rule and the most important.) Example: No calling each other out for posts or type of posts, no calling out mods about the rules, no accusing people of not being "real" Twin Peaks fans or no longer liking Twin Peaks because they may not have liked The Return or criticized it - and likewise, no criticizing someone who did like it. This all falls under being civil to each other and respecting each other's views.

* Try to stay on topic but a little drifting is okay.
A little drifting here and there is fine, it happens, but if it's going on for a half a page or a full page or more, you should probably start a new thread. For example, if someone mentions Tokyo Drift or whatever and a few more people chime in, that's fine, but bring it back to Twin Peaks Season 4/Unrecorded Night - or create another thread in General or one in Hap's Diner or wherever is appropriate. If it's a topic that's becoming it's own thread, a mod will probably move it to its own thread if you don't. Note: if the drifting is still Twin Peaks/Lynch/Frost-related, there's less need to pull it back - e.g. if it's about the original series even though this thread is for Season 4, it's still Twin Peaks so it's fine; probably also fine if it's about a Lynch/Frost non-TP production.

* No ciphers, codes, word games, etc.
Codes and ciphers are perfectly fine and allowed in a designated thread for that purpose. The reason they are no longer allowed here is some people didn't like them and they started complaining and both the ciphers themselves and the complaints made the thread go too far off topic (often stretching to pages and pages in a row of nothing but ciphers, guesses, and complaints) when people were mainly coming here to see if there was any news, updates, etc. This is NOT a reflection on any poster who has used ciphers - again, it's fine, just not in this thread. So create a new cipher thread if you wish but please don't make snarky comments in that thread about the rules of this thread or the posts will have to be removed.

* Speculate at will - but use common sense when posting rumors.
Try not to post every random tidbit you hear from someone or a post you see on the net as if it's insider info. There is some wiggle room here with this rule given that it's a speculation thread. So if you feel it's legit, has other evidence to back it up, is coming from a cast member, or even if it just sounds right and there's a few people saying it, go ahead and post it. Just don't post it as if you've just heard something from an insider if you haven't. If it's a one off rumor you see one person mention, maybe wait it out a bit before posting. Try to avoid vague-posting, giving cryptic hints, as much as possible - though again there might be some wiggle room here, depending on the context.

* No debating the rules of the thread or the forum in general.
The rules are simple and fair and in place to keep things civil and threads from veering off track - stick to them or post somewhere else. Like any other site with similar rules, they're not negotiable. Similarly, no calling mods out in a thread for making or imposing rules. And don't PM the mods to complain about the rules or hurl abuse at them. That will no longer be tolerated and will result in a permanent ban. No calling others out for breaking them either - use the report feature and let a mod deal with it if you have an issue with a post or another user.

- If a mod warns or bans you, consider what behavior on your part led to that; rather than accusing the mods, who always try to be impartial, of lying or bullying consider that perhaps you were the one who was being disruptive in your posts or private messages and reconsider that behavior moving forward. Permanent banning is usually the default on this and many other forums - so if you were only given a temporary ban consider you've been given a second chance. Further bad behavior will result in a permanent one.

- From now on, any posts that are against the rules will simply be removed and warnings or bans issued. Likewise, fighting with the mods about the rules or sending inappropriate PMs to them will not be tolerated. (There was quite a bit of that this week.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thread unlocked. Let's move forward and use this for what it's designed for - to discuss the possibility of more Twin Peaks and/or other David Lynch shows!

Have fun, speculate wildly, and be nice to each other - but leave all the other bs outlined above at the door. This thread and this forum in general is not a playground for that kind of stuff.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUfw2y0P8HJ ... =copy_link

The trolling continues.

To me, any plausible deniability that she isn't aware of the connotations in her SM activity has long gone out the window. There's no why she didn't write this caption knowing full well how it will be perceived.

If it's based on nothing, or if it's just using TP connections to solicit interest for something unrelated like everyone else who had some tangential role in TP does to plug their own stuff, then it's slightly cruel imo.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Interesting caption. Is that a new photo or another S3 behind-the-scenes one? I'd assumed the latter, but Mary Reber recently posted photos with those chairs on the porch, not sure if they were also there back then?

Sabrina had also posted another one, I see. https://www.instagram.com/p/CUabJqEpzAp/

One is captioned The story continues, the other What year is this?